UFA defencemen- Is one of them the answer?

Do you think any of these UFA defenceman may be the answer to our RHD problem? (read OP for more)

• Total voters

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I realize the cap issues Tampa will have, but why would they let him walk (at this cap hit) instead of resigning him and search for cap relief somewhere else ?
Yeah, I seriously doubt they'd let a capable, cheap defenseman walk...more of a hypothetical since the OP included him in the poll.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I realize the cap issues Tampa will have, but why would they let him walk (at this cap hit) instead of resigning him and search for cap relief somewhere else ?

Shatty, Cernak and Rutta are probably all looking for raises on their right side.
Shatty is 1.75 and looks well worth around 4.
Cernak is at 697k (steal) and probably wants 3.5+
Rutta may just be priced out, as they may need to save that 400k by having Foote play 3rd pair. Footes looked good in the AHL.

Cirelli, Verhagee, Shatty, Cernak, Sergy, Maroon all RFA or UFA.
They are in a much tighter spot than we are.

Rutta could be a heck of a bargain, even IF we sign another guy, giving him 3rd pair minutes with a Sandin type

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Shatty, Cernak and Rutta are probably all looking for raises on their right side.
Shatty is 1.75 and looks well worth around 4.
Cernak is at 697k (steal) and probably wants 3.5+
Rutta may just be priced out, as they may need to save that 400k by having Foote play 3rd pair. Footes looked good in the AHL.

Cirelli, Verhagee, Shatty, Cernak, Sergy, Maroon all RFA or UFA.
They are in a much tighter spot than we are.

Rutta could be a heck of a bargain, even IF we sign another guy, giving him 3rd pair minutes with a Sandin type
To further comment on Tampa Bay's cap situation, these are the same Evolving-Hockey contract projections for their expiring UFA & RFA players:

Mikhail Sergachev --> 8 x $6.5M
Kevin Shattenkirk --> 8 x $6.1M
Anthony Cirelli --> 6 x $5.8M
Pat Maroon --> 4 x $3.5M
Erik Cernak --> 2 x $2.5M
Mathieu Joseph --> 2 x $1.4M
Carter Verhaeghe --> 2 x $1.2M
Jan Rutta --> 2 x $1.1M
Zach Bogosian --> 1 x $975K
Luke Schenn --> 1 x $845K
Mitch Stephens --> 1 x $840K
Gemel Smith --> 1 x $795K
Alex Volkov --> 1 x $785K
Cory Conacher --> 1 x $725K
Cameron Gaunce --> 1 x $705K

They currently have $76.17M tied up already, with 29 players under contract for 2020-21, which leaves them with just over $5M to re-sign all of these players. Priority is obvious Cirelli and Sergachev, and with those two costing ~$12M combined, there's likely no way they are going to be able to afford UFAs Shattenkirk & Maroon, unless they take a major discount on their projected market value. I'm guessing they'll probably try to move out some of their more expensive 'mid-class' players, like Palat ($5.3M), Gourde ($5.2M), Johnson ($5.0M), and Killorn ($4.5M)...and that leaves them with space to target the likes of Cernak foremost, and perhaps Rutta as well.

Reactions: cookie

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
To further comment on Tampa Bay's cap situation, these are the same Evolving-Hockey contract projections for their expiring UFA & RFA players:

Mikhail Sergachev --> 8 x $6.5M
Kevin Shattenkirk --> 8 x $6.1M
Anthony Cirelli --> 6 x $5.8M
Pat Maroon --> 4 x $3.5M
Erik Cernak --> 2 x $2.5M
Mathieu Joseph --> 2 x $1.4M
Carter Verhaeghe --> 2 x $1.2M
Jan Rutta --> 2 x $1.1M
Zach Bogosian --> 1 x $975K
Luke Schenn --> 1 x $845K
Mitch Stephens --> 1 x $840K
Gemel Smith --> 1 x $795K
Alex Volkov --> 1 x $785K
Cory Conacher --> 1 x $725K
Cameron Gaunce --> 1 x $705K

They currently have $76.17M tied up already, with 29 players under contract for 2020-21, which leaves them with just over $5M to re-sign all of these players. Priority is obvious Cirelli and Sergachev, and with those two costing ~$12M combined, there's likely no way they are going to be able to afford UFAs Shattenkirk & Maroon, unless they take a major discount on their projected market value. I'm guessing they'll probably try to move out some of their more expensive 'mid-class' players, like Palat ($5.3M), Gourde ($5.2M), Johnson ($5.0M), and Killorn ($4.5M)...and that leaves them with space to target the likes of Cernak foremost, and perhaps Rutta as well.

From the Leafs perspective, id target Cernak, Rutta and Verhaeghe as potential options if they run out of cap space.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Brodie said he left his wife at home (I’m assuming GTA... cottage in Severn which apparently what he named his kid)

he has big concerns about her medically. So I’m thinking signing in the states especially south... is unlikely

dubas likes him and tried to trade for him. So I’m guessing he’s the most likely.

I personally would go for demelo if he Would sign cheap.

but Brodie is probably 2 on my list out of what’s up there.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I'd hope for a trade first, but if theres nothing out there, Demelo and Brodie should be the two guys they target

Reactions: qqaz

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think it's possible, if Columbus losses to Toronto, or even in round 1 that David Savard becomes available, and if that happening I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up here

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Brodie said he left his wife at home (I’m assuming GTA... cottage in Severn which apparently what he named his kid)

he has big concerns about her medically. So I’m thinking signing in the states especially south... is unlikely

dubas likes him and tried to trade for him. So I’m guessing he’s the most likely.

I personally would go for demelo if he Would sign cheap.

but Brodie is probably 2 on my list out of what’s up there.

If we can find a way to get a Brodie and a guy like Rutta id be pretty happy.

Reilly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Rutta
Lehtonen - Liljgren

Gives you the chance to move Dermott if he doesnt show improvement in these playoffs.
Would be huge I think for Sandin's development if you gave him a good RHD partner who is defensively responsible and has real NHL exp.

Gives Liljgren another year (if needed) in the AHL to work on his offensive game. He has been in and around the team for a while, so I think people forget he is still only 21, and wont be 22 until the end of next season.

If Sandin stagnates or Lehtonen just outplays him in camp, gives a guy new to the NHL a solid partner.

Im not opposed at all to having both Sandin and Liljgren in the AHL.

**I assume at minimum Leafs will be moving one of Kerfoot or AJ depending on who is available in free agency**

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If we can find a way to get a Brodie and a guy like Rutta id be pretty happy.

Reilly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Sandin - Rutta
Lehtonen - Liljgren

Gives you the chance to move Dermott if he doesnt show improvement in these playoffs.
Would be huge I think for Sandin's development if you gave him a good RHD partner who is defensively responsible and has real NHL exp.

Gives Liljgren another year (if needed) in the AHL to work on his offensive game. He has been in and around the team for a while, so I think people forget he is still only 21, and wont be 22 until the end of next season.

If Sandin stagnates or Lehtonen just outplays him in camp, gives a guy new to the NHL a solid partner.

Im not opposed at all to having both Sandin and Liljgren in the AHL.

**I assume at minimum Leafs will be moving one of Kerfoot or AJ depending on who is available in free agency**

Rutta misses A LOT of games, if we are going to sign a guy that misses games it should be Chris Tanev

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Rutta misses A LOT of games, if we are going to sign a guy that misses games it should be Chris Tanev
If Rutta is the 3RD, and misses lets say, 40 games, im ok with that.
We get to ease Liljgren into 40 games and see what we got. But IMO right now Rutta is a good amount better at the NHL level.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
need a Right handed but I really don’t have a good feeling most of them on the poll though.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think it's possible, if Columbus losses to Toronto, or even in round 1 that David Savard becomes available, and if that happening I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up here

They need forwards badly.

I could see a Savard plus Anderson for one of our forwards (hopefully AJ but maybe kappy?) swap....

Anderson despite Ferris can’t really ask for much. Both AJ josh are injured. Josh is RFA.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Brodie is 30 years old, likely gonna get 5-5.5M on a 4-5 year deal.

DeMelo is a bit younger.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
You know what both are good ideas as they like to rotate defensemen rather often. If they get hurt they will just run them till Injury Reserve. No issue for enough playing time... In this situation to score a 1 maybe 2 year deal. I would say cowabunga.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->