UFA defencemen- Is one of them the answer?

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by qqaz, Jul 2, 2020.

?

Do you think any of these UFA defenceman may be the answer to our RHD problem? (read OP for more)

1. Justin Schultz

0.6%
  2. Mike Green

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sami Vatanen

7.8%
  4. TJ Brodie

22.1%
  5. Chris Tanev

30.5%
  6. Travis Hamonic

17.5%
  7. Justin Braun

7.1%
  8. Radko Gudas

24.7%
  9. Kevin Shattenkirk

1.3%
  10. Jan Ruta

0.6%
  11. Dylan DeMelo

37.0%
  12. None of the above (only a trade will fill our RHD need)

9.1%
  13. None of the above (our D if fine as-is)

2.6%
  14. Other/I don't know/I'm a bot/I'm indecisive

5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. qqaz Think Happy Thoughts

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Here's a quick list of upcoming UFA defencemen that might fit the Leafs' needs. I only listed guys that are either right handed, or do play the right side.

Check all of the guys that you think would be a decent solution on the right side. Players you think can:

Play top 4 on the right
    fit the cap situation
    play for 3+ years

In your reply, please write in what kind of contract you think might reasonably be offered and accepted for the guys you picked.

If I added someone that can't play right, or if I missed someone worth considering, please say so. I didn't add Pietrangelo, because he is likely way out of our price range. Nor did I include Barrie or Ceci, as they would be re-signing, and we mostly know what they can or can't do.

* This is, of course, assuming some cap space can be made by moving some of our 3rd line guys (Johnsson, Kerfoot, Kapanen). Otherwise, we can't add any player at all. You can vote and post according to what cap space you think we may have.

** options are ordered based on current cap-hit

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. VanW27 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Student
    Home Page:
    Quite a few good options in UFA. Hard to say what anyone will get with the current uncertainty.

Hopefully our cap situation allows us to add one of the bigger names; Gudas and Tanev would be my targets.

Brodie and Hamonic could be decent fallback choices, assuming they're willing to take a lesser contract.

Its not your fault and qqaz like this.
  3. LeafsNation75 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I only voted for TJ Brodie because of how Kyle Dubas was going to trade Nazem Kadri for him last year on July 1, 2019 and that didn't happen since Kadri was able to veto the trade. So because of that I wonder if Dubas might still be interested in Brodie as a UFA?

qqaz likes this.
  4. qqaz Think Happy Thoughts

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    That's exactly why I made the thread. I'm surprised that there's a few decent RHD options hitting the market this year. 4 or 5 guys who are definitely 2nd pairing/top 4 players. You mentioned four that I expect to be popular choices.

I think Vatanen is a possibility, as well. He is a bit older than I'd like, and has a rough injury history. But he plays big minutes, and might come cheaper than expected.

Rather than trade our forward depth for a defender, we may be able to move them for just picks and sign a defender instead. It's an option worth exploring.

5. Mess Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Our Cap situation will be our problem as Leafs are the highest spending cap team in the NHL.

The NHL has proposed to the NHLPA an agreement where the Cap remains flat for the next 3 seasons at $81.5 mil.

What that means is Leafs are going to have to let players like Barrie and Ceci walk simply to comply with a flat cap.

Unless the Leafs find creative ways to address this, then they will only be able to go UFA shopping for players that would accept small ($1 mil or less contracts).

So some options on your poll list will be too expensive options for Leafs to even consider, based on the current environment created by Covid-19.

6. tmlfan98 #TeamAssetManagement

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Uni Student
    I would only target Brodie and DeMelo for 3+ years, but I think the top target should be Tanev at 1 year. Less future cap commitments considering Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren will all challenge to fill spots on the right side sooner rather than later.

AvroArrow and qqaz like this.
  7. VanW27 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Student
    Home Page:
    I used to really like Vatanen, but his defensive play has really fallen off the last couple years. Still generates offense pretty well but I dont see him as a fit for what we need.

sittler rules!!! and qqaz like this.
  8. qqaz Think Happy Thoughts

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Well I did put an asterix in the OP, explaining that it was under the asumption that we make some cap space by moving some forwards. To be more clear, I now added "You can vote and post according to what cap space you think we may have."

9. LeafsNation75 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Wasn't that going to happen with them no matter what and long before it was known there would be a flat cap due to Covid-19.

sittler rules!!! and qqaz like this.
  10. The CyNick Follow @ TheCyNick

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I thought Dubas might try to keep one or both to help save face on bad trades, but looks like it'll be tough. Plus both players are awful, so we're better off without them.

qqaz likes this.
  11. LeafsOHLRangers98 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I kind of want to see what the 7 guys we have can do to start next year, and then if we can't get a big fish maybe grab somebody at the deadline. Start either Rielly or Dermott on the right side. Sandin and Liljegren should also be given a chance to progress at the NHL level.

Muzzin-Rielly
    Dermott-Holl
    Lehtonen-Liljegren
    Sandin

Rielly-Dermott
    Muzzin-Holl
    Lehtonen-Liljegren
    Sandin

-Keefe had this team with the 4th best record in the league with Rielly/Muzzin/Ceci out at the same time, and guys like Marincin and Rosen having to play big minutes some nights. This defense is cheap and likely good enough to be a top 5 team in the conference with our offense.

JT AM da real deal likes this.
  12. JT AM da real deal Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    This is REALITY. I would bet these 7 guys start with us unless somehow Marty gets in da mix UGGGHHHHH....

13. TML1967 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I think the Leafs go after Brodie as a 'cheap' guy to try with Reilly.
    I'd love to bring Gudas in if we have room.. on the third pair for 1 year. Only makes sense if the market compresses his value.

I know that may sound weird, but I think he is exactly what a Sandin type could use as a partner. Good defensively, very protective of teammates, and is a vocal guy.

Long term, unless Dermott is on the right side I dont see how he fits. Reilly, Muzzin, Sandin are all good for the next few years on the Left side.
    If the Leafs move AJ+Kerfoot for cheaper alternatives, you may be able to run something like...

Reilly - Brodie
    Muzzin - Holl
    Sandin - Gudas

14. LeafsOHLRangers98 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I hate Marincin as much as the next guy, but he's still better than some guys teams throw out there regularly. He should be 9th or 10th on the depth chart next year with Rosen around so hopefully he doesn't see any action.

qqaz likes this.
  15. Mess Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I personally think Leafs will continue to find Mikko Lehtonen "free wallets UFAs" on ELC or need to promote Sandin and Liljegren prospects on cheap contracts and so I'd be leaning towards non of the above as my choice.

16. VanW27 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Student
    Home Page:
    Gudas has taken a massive leap forward the last couple years. Hes not a tough guy and depth player anymore.

Even offensively hes turned into a pretty good even strength offense driver. He's quite easily the best dman on the list for me based on his play over the last 2 seasons.

17. The Iceman Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Dermott to the right side
    Gudas, Braun, Bogosian, Dillon or similar to kill penalties and make the team tougher to play against

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Saint Blue likes this.
  18. Madap Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I like Chris Tanev, but I feel like that’s going to be tough to do. I’d aim for a tough third pairing defender like Gudas if we can get him cheap enough, and then keep Liljegren in the minors.

I also want to give Dermott a shot at playing beside Rielly because I think he can handle it, and I don’t want to trade him before he’s got a shot.

Rielly - Dermott
    Muzzin - Holl
    Lehtonen - Gudas

See how Dermott does in the first couple months and if it’s not a good fit then make a trade for someone else to play beside Rielly using Dermott+

Saint Blue likes this.
  19. ottomaddox Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Repo Man
    Just to add:

No UFA Defenseman is willing to take a major cut just to help out TOR's situation.

So there's a question of who we would like to sign, but ultimately TOR has almost no power or appeal to anyone on this list.

This is why radical things need to occur for this team to achieve a balance.

No fans want to hear about radical changes, because they think that will upset a perceived winning / successful team.

20. KeonHorton Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Ya, if we try to get another defender through UFA, we'll have to move a couple of roster players (if the new player's contract is about $4.5 m or greater iirc).

So, if we move 2 of AJ/Kerfoot/Dermott, then we could maybe go for a guy like Tanev, maybe Vatanen. That list had more #2 & #3 pairings on it I'd guess. If so, then a trade involving many on that list would fit more into the category of a smallish upgrade versus a significant difference imho.

qqaz likes this.
  21. Cappuccino Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    And to be fair, if I was Rielly, I also won't take a penny less than I am worth (after the big contracts).

So basically the D might be a problem for a while...

sittler rules!!! likes this.
  22. Mess Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    I'd certainly hope with a flat cap for 3 years potentially and Leafs knowing Rielly's contract ends during that time, that Dubas would be wise to leave free cap space available to resign and likely double his current deal. I'd hate for him to go UFA dman shopping next year and invest money that would impact the resigning of Rielly the year after.

Andersen is also ending next year, so he might be another potential player you might need to plan ahead for, and impact your UFA shopping as a result.

Its the bigger picture long-term planning that might impact this thread discussion of who we might want to sign to address the present needs, but need to be mindful of the longer term needs based on the changing cap landscape ahead due to this pandemic.

23. TML1967 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Oh I think he is a good #4 now, but IMO it really depend on how much $ you are moving towards the back end.
    If you move AJ for picks and plop in Robertson, thats 2.5m.
    If you move Kerfoot for a young guy on an ELC 3C, you save 2.5m (avg)

If you can move cash out for both, id have NO problem trying Gudas on the top pair. We just dont have a backup then.

24. ottomaddox Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    Repo Man
    I would love to see Tanev as a Leaf, but...

Wait for it...

5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

;)

25. WTFMAN99 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 200,000
    AC
    I voted DeMelo as I think he's the easiest to fit in on our cap and the term (within reason) doesn't concern me.