Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Not to feed your man crush on Wijnaldum, but he had a few other moments I really liked, especially that touch assisting on Malen's first goal for Oranje.

That said, Wijnaldum doesn't have too many games like these for Oranje, though he's definitely getting better these past few months. I don't share your enthusiasm, but I like him starting at midfield with de Jong and van de Beek if they make the EC20. I think that would work well.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Congrats to Oranje.
I didn't watch the game, because I won't do until Löw finally gets the boot. But I watched the goals this mornig. Well done, Holland.
A short look at the line-up yesterday told me it won't go well, anyway. Ginter, Tah, Schulz, Klostermann vs. Holland? Not a good idea.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Looking forward to Serbia v Portugal today. Kosovo verse Czech is also a good game in terms of standings implications.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Nice goal by Schick but Kosovo respond quickly, 1:1. Kosovo’s big issue is their defense but they have good enough talent to trouble most teams offensively

Pretty hostile atmosphere as well, though I read the travelling Czech fans provoked the Kosovo fans before the match so that has something to do with it I guess

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
lol guess I picked the right time to dip out yesterday (left just before the 1-1 fell). Wonder what "lessons" Jogi "learns" from this failure...it'll probably be to play to our strengths even less...

I wonder how many more times we'd need to go out in the group stages for Jogi to fire himself?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Croatia up 3:0, one of the better performances since the World Cup but Slovakia has been poor

I was impressed by Bruno Petkovic, nice footwork for a man of his size. He didn't have any success in Italy, and I haven't seen any of his games after he went back to Croatia, but at least statistically he seems to be doing fine. Finally coming into his own?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Being able to say "Ryan Babel had a strong game against Germany in 2019" has to be one of the unlikeliest sentences 6 years ago.

Another weird one is seeing Yuri Zhirkov scoring the winner against Scotland. He even aven announced his retirement from the national team after the WC but here he was again.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I was impressed by Bruno Petkovic, nice footwork for a man of his size. He didn't have any success in Italy, and I haven't seen any of his games after he went back to Croatia, but at least statistically he seems to be doing fine. Finally coming into his own?

He is doing well in the Croatian league but it’s a low level, however how he played yesterday was excellent. The knock on him is he isn’t the best finisher but good in the air with deceptive technical ability for big guy

I think he will move in the winter (Dinamo signed a young striker this summer who will probably take over soon)

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Kosovo up 2-1 on the Czechs with 15 mins to play. Big 3 pts for them if they can close this one out.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Czech Republic about to lose to Kosovo. I know they're not a bad team for how small the nation is and Balkan teams always play way better at home, but still, shoot me in the head

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Huge win for Kosovo who are now slight favorites to finish 2nd in the group, they still play England twice and go to Czech Republic so not totally safe yet. They key will be their November fixtures, away to Czech and then home to England, where they will be hoping England don't play full effort. Czechs play their main competitors at home but they are now under pressure to beat Montenegro away on Tuesday. Rooting hard for Kosovo is Luxembourg, who would take their spot in the League D playoffs should Kosovo finish in the top two :D

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
True, but I guess Bulgaria at home while holding a perfect record isn’t the worst time to tinker or experiment with a national team line up.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Experimenting would mean giving the new ones a chance to prove themself. Mings and Mount should've started then.
Yea, this seems more like an old boys club loyalty thing that a lot of national teams in every sport do. Give playing time to the guys who have "paid their dues" rather than the best players.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Sterling has really developed into an exceptional player the last few years. World class for sure.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Comical from the Bulgarian keeper and defender on that give away but great movement from Kane to put himself in open space and making himself so available. I’m biggest Kane fan but his goal scoring instincts can’t be denied.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Yea, this seems more like an old boys club loyalty thing that a lot of national teams in every sport do. Give playing time to the guys who have "paid their dues" rather than the best players.

National coaches are way too focused on the ones that has delivered for the national team in the past. The only way a new player could break into the starting eleven is if he plays on an extremely high level that you just can't deny his quality. We have the same problem in Sweden where our captain Andreas Granqvist are way over the hill but still starts for the national team because he's captain and was huge in the World Cup.

What a mistake by the Bulgarian keeper.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The Netherlands will be a real threat at Euro 2020. I know people are slamming the German coach and team but tbh that was complete domination outside of a couple plays by the Dutch, in Germany. It's not like they're a bad team by any stretch.
Sterling has really developed into an exceptional player the last few years. World class for sure.
Yep. He's unreal; I am over the bitterness of the circumstances he left in and can apprciate his play.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
The Netherlands will be a real threat at Euro 2020. I know people are slamming the German coach and team but tbh that was complete domination outside of a couple plays by the Dutch, in Germany. It's not like they're a bad team by any stretch.

Yep. He's unreal; I am over the bitterness of the circumstances he left in and can apprciate his play.

It's not even all done and dusted that the Netherlands qualifies for Euro 2020 at this stage. Still behind Northern Ireland and Germany. So hold my beer please.

It was an impressive win yesterday though. But don't forget we kicked you guys out of the World Cup ;)

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

He's a special player and a lot of that comes down to Pep fixing his faults. Guess the LFC contingent that trashed him and that 50 million dollar move was sheer bitterness?

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
He's a special player and a lot of that comes down to Pep fixing his faults. Guess the LFC contingent that trashed him and that 50 million dollar move was sheer bitterness?

In todays market that fee is pretty bad for Liverpool. If they had sold him this season it would be more like 150 million.

I was of course right about Neymar btw. But that isn't surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad