Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wijnaldum you beauty!! Memphis with a wonderful through ball, Gini with the dummy shot and beauty pass and Malen with a wonderful finish. Love it.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Some awful displays from a few Oranje players, but somehow Babel is among the best ones. He has been for the past few Oranje games now. Weird to see him rejuvenating his career like this since last season. Still rather see Bergwijn and Stengs.

Malen scoring is nice to see. I expected him to make his Oranje debut as mentioned in my prospect list, but good to see him scoring instantly as well.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don’t think either of these teams played particularly well today other than in random spurts. In current form, neither of these sides can be considered amongst the very favourites to win the actual tournament.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
WIJNALDUM OMG

How does he always make these lung busting runs in the 90+ minutes!!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What a ****ing win.

14/10 for Wijnaldum, best transitional midfielder in the world. Memphis was fantastic as well. The defending was a little shaky at times but wow. Also Babel deserves credit...not a fan of his on the team but he did well. Malen was buzzing too and didn't look out of place at all.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Group C
Estonia - Belarus 1:2
Germany - Netherlands 2:4

Massive win for Netherlands, put some pressure now on Germany to win in Belfast on Monday who are the only threat to the Dutch/Germans finishing in the top 2

Group E
Slovakia - Croatia 0:4
Wales - Azerbaijan 2:1

Bale rescued Wales late while Slovakia are the first team to drop points at home (other than Azerbaijan) in this group which could be costly, Croatia could have score 10. Still a tight group, the top four are separated by only three points but Croatia have favorable fixtures with two home games + Azerbaijan away

Group G
Austria - Latvia 6:0
Slovenia - Poland 2:0

Campaign saving victory for Slovenia as Poland concede their first goals in the group while Austria hammer Latvia. Poland still top but they play Austria already on Monday; very open group as expected but if Poland win Monday they should be favorites to finish top

Group I
Cyprus - Kazakhstan 1:1
San Marino - Belgium 0:4
Scotland - Russia 1:2

This group is pretty much wrapped up I have to say even with 5 games to go unless there are crazy results. Belgium cruising at the top and even Russia now have a 5 point edge on 3rd place Kazakhstan. Scotland at this point pretty much need to beat Belgium on Monday to have any hope (they do have the Nations League to fall back on)

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don’t think either of these teams played particularly well today other than in random spurts. In current form, neither of these sides can be considered amongst the very favourites to win the actual tournament.

I'm actually glad Germany lost because if they had gotten even a point the usual suspects would have defended the performance. This German team has gone from looking like a predictable "Possession Uber Alles" machine incapable of creating any dynamism to just a chaotic team without structure or ability to tie together the pieces available to a cohesive unit. This is going to be a long rebuild for Germany and it's unlikely Jogi is the man who can do it.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands

Oranje is in the midst of a transition period. Give it a year or two and they will be a serious threat for a few years to come. Right now they get by and can give most teams a serious run for their money. I hope Malen keeps developing at this current pace and van de Beek gets a fair shot as a #10 in the near future. Once they fully emerge and work De Roon, Babel (as good as he has been), Promes and Proper out of the starting line up, Oranje have themselves a very decent squad:

------------------------ Malen -----------------------
--- Bergwijn --------------------------- Depay ------
--------------------- Van de Beek ------------------
---------------- De Jong --- Wijnaldum ------------
Blind ------------------------------------ *********
---------------- Van Dijk - De Ligt -----------------
---------------------- Cillessen --------------------

******* being one of Dumfries, Karsdorp, Dest, Veltman.

member 305909

Finland closer than ever qualifying for a major tournament. There are still five matches left but it looks good.

As for today's matches, it seems the Dutch are coming back from their low ebb.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
two crucial games tomorrow and one starts at 9am (eastern US time). The Czechs go to Kosovo in whats likely a head to head matchup for 2nd place, Kosovo one of the surprise packages along with Finland so far but Kosovo have done well really since the Nations League

Serbia-Portugal is another big one, despite winning the Nations League, Portugal are not off to a great start in qualifying drawing their first two matches at home while Serbia were hammered by Ukraine in March and have a new manager in charge

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Can't get over that Wijnaldum goal. He gets the ball and instantly takes out the German midfielder with his first touch, plays the perfect outlet pass to Memphis and then...in the 90th minute...makes a 55 yard run and has the perfect one touch finish on a brilliant ball back from Memphis. Damn son.

Reactions: windycity
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad