Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
One of the hottest atm, yes.
Championship is easily top-7 league. Top-5 is arguable.

EPL
LaLiga
Serie-A
Bundesliga

are in the league of their own but after that most hardcore football fans put Championship. Much harder to play there than score goals for PSG and sandbagging teams with 1/100 of budget for example. French league is really weak overall.

For example Norwich has bigger player budget than Ajax who was in the Champions league finals.
ayeok.png

I was going to bold bits of this to respond to with smilies but there's too much to choose from

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Slovakia with a convincing win over Azerbaijan. This team is more than half made up of zlina graduates. The back line which is our strength is entirely produced by zlina academy. One of the best emerging academies in Central Europe that’s for sure. The Ajax of Slovakia.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Italy beat 10-man Armenia 3:1 in Yerevan, it was tied 1:1 late but Italy eventually took advantage of the extra man with two late goals. Armenia scored first but had a player sent off shortly before halftime. Italy pretty much in cruise control of this group but 2nd place is up for grabs, Finland-Greece is a big match in whats pretty much a must win for Greece. Finland control their destiny for 2nd place but have tough fixtures ahead (still play Italy on Sunday and still have to go to Bosnia later in the year)

Other key games today:
- Rep of Ireland vs. Switzerland: Ireland early group leaders but both teams behind them have games in hand, however if Ireland win they will be in good shape to finish in the top 2.
- Romania vs. Spain: Spain should progress easily in their group but will be a tough game for them against a side which will probably park the bus

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ya, Faroe Islands is a guaranteed 3 pts for 95% of the teams in UEFA.

They have a record of 13-13-113 in Euro and World Cup qualifying before today’s game. Probably only San Marino and Gibraltar are easier fixtures.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
No real surprising results today but that was expected looking at the fixtures

Group D
Gibraltar - Denmark 0:6
Rep of Ireland - Switzerland 1:1

Rep of Ireland remain top of the group, coming from behind to draw Switzerland but their lead is only three points on Denmark who have a game in hand (Swiss are six points back but two games in hand too). Ireland still have to go to Georgia and Switzerland while later in the campaign

Group F
Faroe Islands - Sweden 0:4
Norway - Malta 2:0
Romania - Spain 1:2

All the favorites won, Spain remain perfect while Sweden, Norway and Romania are all three points of each other halfway through. Romania and Spain are playing the group minnows on Sunday while Sweden host Norway in a big match

Group G
Israel - Macedonia 1:1

Game was pushed back to Thursday for religious reasons, not a good result for either team. Israel remain in 2nd place but could fall to 4th by Saturday. This group looks like Poland will cruise easily and once again be seeded in the final draw :laugh:

Group J
Armenia - Italy 1:3
Bosnia-Herzegovina - Liechtenstein 5:0
Finland - Greece 1:0

Massive win for Finland who remain in 2nd place, only three points behind Italy but more importantly 5 points above BiH. However Finland plays Italy next and they still go to BiH so still not totally clear but in good shape. Greece and Armenia practically out

Reactions: JimboA

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
As long as Bosnia takes three points at home against Finland they have a good chance of being second already next month.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
That last 35 minutes of Finland - Greece reminded me how annoying the sport of football (soccer) is.

Finland scores a goal on a penalty, which could just as easily have not been a penalty. After that it’s full on turtle defense, and when the greek defense was wide open Finland didn’t even try to create offense.

As they approached full time players started falling down all the time, just running down the clock. Then you have the completely unnecessary substitutions with a few minutes left.

My team won, and there’s still a bitter taste in my mouth.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That last 35 minutes of Finland - Greece reminded me how annoying the sport of football (soccer) is.

Finland scores a goal on a penalty, which could just as easily have not been a penalty. After that it’s full on turtle defense, and when the greek defense was wide open Finland didn’t even try to create offense.

As they approached full time players started falling down all the time, just running down the clock. Then you have the completely unnecessary substitutions with a few minutes left.

It's almost like Finland has learned to win, amazing isn't it?

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium

Greece won the EURO like that, maybe Finland will do the same next year :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad