Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
One of the hottest atm, yes.
Championship is easily top-7 league. Top-5 is arguable.

EPL
LaLiga
Serie-A
Bundesliga

are in the league of their own but after that most hardcore football fans put Championship. Much harder to play there than score goals for PSG and sandbagging teams with 1/100 of budget for example. French league is really weak overall.

For example Norwich has bigger player budget than Ajax who was in the Champions league finals.

So much lack of knowledge, I can't even respond to this.

Reactions: cgf

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
One of the hottest atm, yes.
Championship is easily top-7 league. Top-5 is arguable.

EPL
LaLiga
Serie-A
Bundesliga

are in the league of their own but after that most hardcore football fans put Championship. Much harder to play there than score goals for PSG and sandbagging teams with 1/100 of budget for example. French league is really weak overall.

For example Norwich has bigger player budget than Ajax who was in the Champions league finals.
Well PSG and the majority of Lique 1 would sandbag the Championship teams. As would Ajax and co.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Ajax has 1/10th of the budget of Norwich like they could play in the Championship.
Ajax and Norwich has almost the same player budget but you have to remember that team like Ajax has excellent junior program so their real worth is bigger than the actual one. Shame they can't keep their players these days though.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Now that is one damn fine argument. I'm convinced.
I don't think you have any idea how competitive English football is and especially Championship. There are no teams in other countries' lower leagues like Leicester who can come from lower leagues and keep their line-up about the same and win the Premier league. The level of play is insane in Championship when you consider it's not even country's highest league. Just goes to show you the football culture in England.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think you have any idea how competitive English football is and especially Championship. There are no teams in other countries' lower leagues like Leicester who can come from lower leagues and keep their line-up about the same and win the Premier league. The level of play is insane in Championship when you consider it's not even country's highest league. Just goes to show you the football culture in England.

I don't think you have any idea how competitive and good the teams are in the rest of Europe. The level of competition is insane. Just goes to show you the football culture in Europe.

Reactions: cgf

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I don't think you have any idea how competitive and good the teams are in the rest of Europe. The level of competition is insane. Just goes to show you the football culture in Europe.
Actually many European leagues are 1-3 team leagues which is unfortunate. So not competitive at all.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
The Championship is definitely solid, but this is a tad aggressive.

I think what happens is people judge that league from the teams that get promoted but don't consider how much they spend and transform their squad after promotion. I think between Wolves, Cardiff, and Fulham, they spend something like 270m last season in transfers. You just don't see that in other countries.

That said, I don't think BusQuets is giving enough respect to quite a few leagues/countries here. Even the Argentinian/Brazilian leagues are pretty damn good; forget Europe for a second.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
UEFA's #6 ranked country isn't.

5 different league champs and 8 different top 3 finishers in the last 10 years.

EDIT: 4 different champs in 4 years, no repeat champ since 13/14.
Yeah sure of course not all them. Not sure what this post brought to this conversation though. Russia's best teams aren't that strong.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
The Championship is definitely solid, but this is a tad aggressive.

I think what happens is people judge that league from the teams that get promoted but don't consider how much they spend and transform their squad after promotion. I think between Wolves, Cardiff, and Fulham, they spend something like 270m last season in transfers. You just don't see that in other countries.

That said, I don't think BusQuets is giving enough respect to quite a few leagues/countries here. Even the Argentinian/Brazilian leagues are pretty damn good; forget Europe for a second.
That's why i specified European leagues. Really hard to make comparisons with some South-American leagues or even to MLS which is strong league as well.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah sure of course not all them. Not sure what this post brought to this conversation though. Russia's best teams aren't that strong.

You said that Championship is a top 5 league. Wouldn't that mean that they are better then #6?

I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

A league where 3rd or 4th rate English players are stars is a top European league.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

England is SO DEEP in talent that even their semi-pros would dominate in other leagues.

No wonder their national team DOMINATES in every international competition.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I haven't really watched it to be honest but just by judging from some line-ups it seems pretty solid. Nowhere near Europe's top leagues of course.

MLS is getting strong and there are now plenty of good players here, but there's a knock-on effect from that because the teams are also getting better defenders. The attacking flavor of the league is becoming less fun. Goals are down massively from 3.19 per game to 2.5 per game. The attacking was what was fun about MLS, but that could become a problem.

Reactions: robertmac43

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
You said that Championship is a top 5 league. Wouldn't that mean that they are better then #6?

I want to make sure I understand you correctly.

A league where 3rd or 4th rate English players are stars is a top European league.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

England is SO DEEP in talent that even their semi-pros would dominate in other leagues.

No wonder their national team DOMINATES in every international competition.
I said it's arguable. I myself rate it higher than Russian or French league for example but understand if someone doesn't. Also what do you mean with 3rd or 4th rate english players? Championship is full of foreign players also. The average wage is better there than most of European countries' top leagues. Of course talent would go to play there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->