UEFA EURO 2016 - Final Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pretending like Sakho is better than Koscielny will get you and Evilo nowhere.

If you'll notice I've been quite vocal in my criticism of Sakho, but Koscielny is no better and Sakho gets picked in the NT ahead of him. I think Kos could play there interchangeably and there probably wouldn't be a big difference.

That said Kos isn't that great.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I'll say they have no Thuram Zidane Henry, yeah they have some very good ones but those guys still have yet to prove themselves with the national team and prove they are real leaders.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Lloris is among the top GKs. Mandanda is borderline top 10 and Areola might be the best GK prospect in the world.
Varane is among the top CBs. Laporte, Zouma, Sakho and Koscielny provide depth (among others).
Kurzawa and Digne are some of the most exciting young LB.
Pogba, Matuidi are definately great. Kanté, Cabaye, Kondgobia, Diarra, Guilavogui, Gonalons are nice depth.
Fekir, Griezmann, Ntep, Payet, Valbuena, Ben Arfa, Menez, Nasri are creative AMs.
Benzema, Giroud, Lacazette are the top strikers available.
The only position where they have nobody of value is RB.

All in all, saying they don't have great players is simply false. Truth is that DD can't make them play together with efficiency. Talent wise, they have nobody to fear. He also doesn't select the best ones (see Evra, Patrice, LB starting position).

Mangala? Martial? Coman? Trémoulinas? Rabiot? N'Koudou? Amavi? Lemar? Tolisso? Grenier? Umtiti? Ribery?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Not a big Menez fan

Are any of the LB's capable RB's?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jallet, Debuchy, Sagna are considered viable options for DD. Debuchy seems like the longer shot and Sagna the starter (glups!).
We have one single good RB among the L1 established and that's Sebastien Corchia. He's to me the best we have and a solid talent. But he's totally not the type of player DD loves (meaning he's not particularly strong-bodied, can be beaten physically and is better offensively then defensively).
He's never been called up and I don't expect him to be before Euro. Not because he shouldn't but DD won't call him until he shines on a big team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Jallet, Debuchy, Sagna are considered viable options for DD. Debuchy seems like the longer shot and Sagna the starter (glups!).
We have one single good RB among the L1 established and that's Sebastien Corchia. He's to me the best we have and a solid talent. But he's totally not the type of player DD loves (meaning he's not particularly strong-bodied, can be beaten physically and is better offensively then defensively).
He's never been called up and I don't expect him to be before Euro. Not because he shouldn't but DD won't call him until he shines on a big team.

Imo Sagna should not be grouped in with these players.

He's been superb this season.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Some rumors that Rooney may miss Euro with a knee operation, however the English are now getting giddy with Rashford anyway :D

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I remember when Everton's 18yo starlet Wayne Rooney was going to save English football. Good times.

I remember the overwhelming hype he got when he scored two goals against the worst Croatia team to play at a major tournament since independence; a central midfield pairing of Rosso-Bjelica and a coach who played 6 defenders in a must win game :sarcasm: Also the Swiss at that tournament were much poorer than they are now and he scored twice against them

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Rooney missing the tournament would be the best thing that could happen to England

I can just picture a fit Vardy, Kane and Sturridge being moved around at the expense of a fat guy long past any capability for meaningful, positive influence who scores a penalty in the groups and celebrates like he's saved Earth from being destroyed by aliens

Worrying times, if true.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Ivica Olic retires from international football, doubt he would have gotten into the Croatia squad anyway with him not even being in the squad for HSV lately.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Ivica Olic retires from international football, doubt he would have gotten into the Croatia squad anyway with him not even being in the squad for HSV lately.

Great guy.

As for the EURO, our goalkeeper, midfield and forwards look good, but our D is oh boy. I also fully expect Čačić to leave Vrsaljko on the bench in favor of Srna.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Great guy.

As for the EURO, our goalkeeper, midfield and forwards look good, but our D is oh boy. I also fully expect Čačić to leave Vrsaljko on the bench in favor of Srna.

I wouldn't be shocked if he forces Vrsaljko at LB like Kovac did at the World Cup vs. Brazil. Doesn't seem like Strinic will get called up and with Pivaric injured, he will put either him or Vida at LB (Vida has played LB for Kiev this season). Don't think even the likes of Milic/Leovac will get called up. Or I guess there's always Pranjic...:sarcasm:

But you are right, Croatia's defense is beyond pathetic. And I saw an interview with Badelj saying that Croatia needs to start playing as a unit/team, totally agree, too many times its trying to get by on individual skill. Doubt Cacic can bring the best out of this team though :laugh::shakehead

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
As somebody who watches him on a weekly basis, I feel troubled for Croatia is Pranjic is in at LB for the tourney...

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I wouldn't be shocked if he forces Vrsaljko at LB like Kovac did at the World Cup vs. Brazil. Doesn't seem like Strinic will get called up and with Pivaric injured, he will put either him or Vida at LB (Vida has played LB for Kiev this season). Don't think even the likes of Milic/Leovac will get called up. Or I guess there's always Pranjic...:sarcasm:

But you are right, Croatia's defense is beyond pathetic. And I saw an interview with Badelj saying that Croatia needs to start playing as a unit/team, totally agree, too many times its trying to get by on individual skill. Doubt Cacic can bring the best out of this team though :laugh::shakehead

Defense should look like this IMHO:

Vida - Lovren - Ćorluka - Vrsaljko

As somebody who watches him on a weekly basis, I feel troubled for Croatia is Pranjic is in at LB for the tourney...

I doubt he'll be selected.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
http://alltime11.uefa.com/en

I chose a 4-4-2 formation only because they had Rijkaard listed as a defender, but it's actually a 3-5-2.

Buffon
Maldini - Beckenbauer - Facchetti
Rijkaard ----- Pirlo
Gullit ----- Platini ----- Iniesta
van Basten ----- Henry​

Some of the options are interesting, but just fun none-the-less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille