UEFA EURO 2016 - Final Tournament - II

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Bye Bye Belgium. Wilmots is a horrible idiot of a coach, how can he play such a ****** defense and then put in Fellaini.

Belgium should "on paper" have beaten Wales easily.

Glad for Wales though they will need some good memories because their country is going suffer the worst if the Brexit goes through.

Belgium "on paper" should have run the table in their own group.

Massive fail on their part.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I hate making predictions, but I have a real feeling Portugal could win this thing. Amazing really considering how they've played, but they may only have to really show up for the Final.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Sami Khedira might be, according to german media, done for this euros. If true it's a big loss.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Khedira getting injured is of course nothing especially unusual. A Juventus teammate injured him (and it was a sneaky foul caused by a player who knew of Khedira's issues) so I guess Khedira can perhaps re-consider if he's playing for the right club.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Sami Khedira might be, according to german media, done for this euros. If true it's a big loss.

And this is why it was a big problem for Löw to bring along an injured out of form player in Schweinsteiger and a mascot like Podolski. You waste roster spots on them instead of bringing along players who can help you in the case of further injuries or suspensions. Does one of Can (I hope not) or Weigl move into midfield? Or does he move Kimmich to midfield, reopening the RB problem?

I guess I hope Löw goes back to a 4-2-3-1 vs. France with Kimmich and Hector as full backs, Höwedes and Boateng as LCB and RCB, Weigl as Kroos' less involved and higher partner, and Draxler-Özil-Müller with Gomez.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
And this is why it was a big problem for Löw to bring along an injured out of form player in Schweinsteiger and a mascot like Podolski. You waste roster spots on them instead of bringing along players who can help you in the case of further injuries or suspensions. Does one of Can (I hope not) or Weigl move into midfield? Or does he move Kimmich to midfield, reopening the RB problem?

I guess I hope Löw goes back to a 4-2-3-1 vs. France with Kimmich and Hector as full backs, Höwedes and Boateng as LCB and RCB, Weigl as Kroos' less involved and higher partner, and Draxler-Özil-Müller with Gomez.

I will not believe half of this report, but:

http://www.focus.de/sport/fussball/...viertelfinale-die-dreierkette_id_5691855.html

Mario Gomez out for sure, Khedira and Schweinsteiger in limbo.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think people are being a little bit hard on Wales to be honest. They're not a superstar team, but a team with strong chemistry and good coaching really only needs a few top end players.

A team like Belgium, IMO, always looked like losing to Wales because they lack in that chemistry and any real semblance of tactics.

If Portugal play like they have so far this tournament they will lose to Wales pretty handily as well, IMO.

SF
Croatia v Wales 1-2, AET
Germany v France 1-2, AET

F
Wales v France 2-1

I got the semi-finalist wrong, but I like the Wales > France in the final still!

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Löw today confirms Khedira is out, too. That makes it three: Gomez, Hummels and Khedira, Schweinsteiger still in limbo. Time to get creative.

Kicker reports that Weigl will play next to Kroos vs. France. :)

I don't think Weigl-Kroos is the most natural pairing, but I still think it can work.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
And instead of letting the disappointment get the best of him he went straight to the German players and congratulated them. Pure class.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Buffon, the guy who took a squad number that has fascist connotations, said he didn't know that it did, and then later wore a t-shirt with a fascist slogan again saying he didn't know about the connotation?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Buffon, the guy who took a squad number that has fascist connotations, said he didn't know that it did, and then later wore a t-shirt with a fascist slogan again saying he didn't know about the connotation?

Yeah, that Patrick Kane is a real Nazi sympathizer too, isn't he? :biglaugh:

"Number that has fascist connotations"? Come on, that is pure b.s.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah, that Patrick Kane is a real Nazi sympathizer too, isn't he? :biglaugh:

"Number that has fascist connotations"? Come on, that is pure b.s.

There's an obvious difference between the two.

So they say. Either way it doesn't look good if you do one followed by the other, despite your ignoring the latter here.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
People are always looking for reasons to slander someone else. I don't think Buffon did any of that with intention of insulting or being fascist in any way. :shakehead

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Picking 88 and wearing a shirt that says death to cowards is literally exactly what a fascist would do. It's not as if 88 is a commonly used number in football either.

Not everyone is so stupid as for their whole life to be determined by coincidences. Some people think when they do things and Buffon strikes me as a smart person.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah if we're talking just the number, which his explanation for seemed pretty poor, then that's one thing. However if you're following it up with a shirt with a fascist slogan that's another thing. Whether he is today or truly was ever I don't know. It's just something that struck me at the time and when you read he's "class" or whatever it puts that into context. Or at least it should.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He didn't pick 88 initially (supposedly), and you're talking about 2 isolated incidents (years apart) across a career spanning over 20 years when he was in his early twenties and younger.

But ok, if that's his whole life being determined by coincidences it's a very strong case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad