UEFA EURO 2016 - Final Tournament - II

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah I know and I agree. And like I said, his shirt explanation was poor.

EDIT: This was in response to LITN and NOT Curtinho.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He didn't pick 88 initially (supposedly), and you're talking about 2 isolated incidents (years apart) across a career spanning over 20 years when he was in his early twenties and younger.

But ok, if that's his whole life being determined by coincidences it's a very strong case.

This started by somebody saying "impossible to hate Buffon". Really easy to see how!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This started by somebody saying "impossible to hate Buffon". Really easy to see how!

Are we really taking the 'impossible' at face value? Obviously Gigi is a widely beloved player for many reasons, including the way he conducts himself now. I'm sure if you took every players late teens/early twenties and looked for any little issue you'd not find a likeable player in the world (if that's the standard we're holding them to).

I mean, 1999 and 2001, people were barely even starting to use the internet. Information was not nearly as readily available especially to an older teen/adult whose life was football and grew up without the internet or computers readily available.

But ey, it is what it is. It's not surprising for this to be a talking point right now tbh.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
his Parma days were like 15 years ago. A man grows and learns, just take a look at Ali some of his dumb reasonings and things said at some point in his life. I have no knowledge of any other controversial incidents from Buffon in this regards. Therefore, I must deduce he has learned and changed and moved on. I have no access to his thoughts, so that's my conclusion. Furthermore, I have seen nothing but class act from him since far back as I can recall.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Is it possible to keep this political stuff out of this thread, please? It's annoying.
If picking 88 is evil, so is 18. Ridiculous.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not slagging Buffon, as I already said, I doubt very much he holds those views now.

I said "I can see why somebody wouldn't like him," and then I pointed out why. Holding those views in the past is why. I can also see why somebody would hate Suarez, given that he said things that were at best racially insensitive and racist at worst. Please read.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Are we really taking the 'impossible' at face value? Obviously Gigi is a widely beloved player for many reasons, including the way he conducts himself now. I'm sure if you took every players late teens/early twenties and looked for any little issue you'd not find a likeable player in the world (if that's the standard we're holding them to).

I mean, 1999 and 2001, people were barely even starting to use the internet. Information was not nearly as readily available especially to an older teen/adult whose life was football and grew up without the internet or computers readily available.

But ey, it is what it is. It's not surprising for this to be a talking point right now tbh.

As opposed to at what other value?

Overstating the case, but even so, how many of those "little issues" equate to supporting fascism/neo-nazism? I wouldn't call what Buffon did a "little issue."

Agreed, it is what it is and it's not surprising for this to be a talking point right now.

his Parma days were like 15 years ago. A man grows and learns, just take a look at Ali some of his dumb reasonings and things said at some point in his life. I have no knowledge of any other controversial incidents from Buffon in this regards. Therefore, I must deduce he has learned and changed and moved on. I have no access to his thoughts, so that's my conclusion. Furthermore, I have seen nothing but class act from him since far back as I can recall.

Maybe he has changed. No one is denying that as a possibility. Hell, even his girlfriend thinks he's an OK guy, though she seems to confirm him being a fascist and she's not entirely referring to him as such in the past tense. Again, though maybe he's not.

Is it possible to keep this political stuff out of this thread, please? It's annoying.
If picking 88 is evil, so is 18. Ridiculous.

So let's keep it out of the thread, but let me comment either way. Right. :shakehead

As has already been stated, completely different.

People change

When I was a teen I loved Real Madrid

Ok I still love them

Fixed that for you.

Irony of ironies? The people slagging Buffon were defending Suarez for the racist crap he uttered while playing for Liverpool.

I'm not slagging Buffon. I'm providing facts about him in the context of him being said to be "classy" and "impossible to hate."

As for Suarez, provide proof as to how I defended him. My take is now as it was back then (and if I wasn't clear on this forum I was on another, but either way let me be crystal clear here). What I understand him to have said to Evra is a term that I have heard in "Latin" culture here. That said I can think of no other reason for him to have said it to Evra other than as a racial slur. So I've not then nor am I now remotely defending Suarez. In fact I am of the belief that he did racially abuse Evra. The only thing that I defended Suarez on, and I'm not sure I said it here, was that he didn't do anything wrong during the "handshake" incident in the aftermath as it was abundantly clear that Evra initially was refusing to shake hands with Suarez. Now, and I'm pretty positive I noted this at the time, Suarez could have made more of a point to shake his hand after that initial refusal, but that incident was down to Evra. Anyway, again, let's have some proof of me "defending Suarez for the racist crap he uttered."

I'm not slagging Buffon, as I already said, I doubt very much he holds those views now.

I said "I can see why somebody wouldn't like him," and then I pointed out why. Holding those views in the past is why. I can also see why somebody would hate Suarez, given that he said things that were at best racially insensitive and racist at worst. Please read.

Exactly, and I'll leave it here. If somebody wants to swim in the "coincidence" **** they can go right ahead.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Ronaldo, leader and hero!

As opposed to :

CmXhrKPWAAARzpA.jpg

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Ronaldo's header yesterday was ridiculous. Strip away all his skills except that ability to leap and head the ball like that and you still have a better center forward than anything England can send out there.:laugh:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Imagine if Yugoslavia was still a thing...

Perisic - Dzeko/Mandzukic - Jovetic

Matic/Rakitic - Modric - Pjanic

Kolarov-Ivanovic-Savic-Srna

Obalk/Begovic​

They would be ****ing ripped :laugh::amazed:

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Yugoslav team would win nothing just like they never won when it was Yugoslavia. Weak mentality.

I'm not sure if that's fair to say conclusively. It's all about generations. Just like Spain waited all this time to have their golden generation that came through.

Yugoslavia won the 87 youth World Cup and that team had players that one can only imagine what could have happened if they all stayed together as seniors in the Yugoslavia of that time.. Suker and Mijatovic were in that team.

then in World Cup 98 Croatia got 3rd place and Yugoslavia of that time lost in the round of 16 to a strong Dutch team just 2-1.

In 98 alone, combine that Yugoslavia and that Croatian team and could've been an even better team.

Stankovic, Milosevic, Mihajlovic, Savicevic, Mijatovic.

and Croatia with well, the already great squad they had at that time. Suker, Jarni, Boban, Asanovic etc.

basically this 90's generation could have been even greater perhaps if Croatia was part of Yugoslavia at that time.

But then again, who knows...

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yugoslav team would win nothing just like they never won when it was Yugoslavia. Weak mentality.

That wasn't the reason back then, nor would it be today. It was always politics, just like it would be today. Plenty of really good players were being left off the team because they didn't say the right thing, or because they didn't play for the right club, which in ex-Yu were only Zvezda and Partizan. To make the team as a player from another team you'd have to be quite a bit better and get in line with the program. Blood cells were counted etc.

It's good we all split up, it's just tragic what needed to take place for the split to happen.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So Sakho has missed a Europa league final and a Euro because of a UEFA mistake?

Seriously?

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
One of the worst football tournaments I can remember for lack of decent technical football, inventiveness and flair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad