UEFA Champions League Qualifying Rounds 2020-21

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tough groups for french teams. Was expected for Rennes and OM, tougher than hoped for PSG.
OM has an outside possbility but given their recent quality of player they might not even reach Europa League.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Tough groups for french teams. Was expected for Rennes and OM, tougher than hoped for PSG.
OM has an outside possbility but given their recent quality of player they might not even reach Europa League.
Would you say Rennes is better than OM?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Look at the standings. One if L1 leader, the other has miraculously (see Mandanda) 6 points in 5 games.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Look at the standings. One if L1 leader, the other has miraculously (see Mandanda) 6 points in 5 games.
I dunno. Those miraculous keeper performances scare me more. I’m kidding. Haven’t watched any L1 so I don’t have a read on that league at all. All I know about Rennes is they are the Camavinga show.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Rennes has an exciting coach, some real young talent (one of the best academies) and Camavinga. They're also buying some interesting players.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
City and United were the two last teams to remain from pot 2, why was there no draw for which group they ended up in? Seems weird since they are from the same country and city.

United couldn't be in the same side of the draw as Liverpool because broadcasters don't want playing them on the same night. Same as Real/Barca and Bayern/Dortmund. No one cares about City so they were put in Group C.

Reactions: Savant and Prntscrn

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
United couldn't be in the same side of the draw as Liverpool because broadcasters don't want playing them on the same night. Same as Real/Barca and Bayern/Dortmund. No one cares about City so they were put in Group C.

Ah makes sense. United got the worst of it though

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Lokomotiv have close to zero chance, Zenit could advance but you never know with them and finally Krasnodar could be a dark horse.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Has City ever gotten a tough group? If I was a City fan, I would be bored of not being challenged in the group stage. It's nice to win, but when you don't play that many competitive games, it gets boring.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
How is a group with Atalanta (2020 quarter-finalist, went out against the #2 team) and Ajax (2019 semi-finalist) more of an "easier cakewalk group" than a group with...

...Basel and Ludogorets (Arsenal's group in 2016-17)?
...Olympiakos and Dinamo Zagreb (Arsenal's group in 2015-16)?
...Galatasary and Anderlecht (Arsenal's group in 2014-15)?
...Olympiakos and Montpellier (Arsenal's group in 2012-13)?
...Braga and Partizan Belgrade (Arsenal's group in 2010-11)?
...Olympiakos, Liege and Alkmaar (Arsenal's group in 2009-10)?
...Dinamo Kiev and Fenerbahce (Arsenal's group in 2008-09)?
...Slavia Prague and Steaua Bukarest (Arsenal's group in 2007-08)?
...Sparta Prague and Thun (Arsenal's group in 2005-06)?
...Panathinaikos and Rosenborg (Arsenal's group in 2004-05)?
Well, to be fair, you're looking at the Pot 2 and Pot 3 teams in a group and comparing them to the Pot 3 and Pot 4 teams of a different group.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Well, to be fair, you're looking at the Pot 2 and Pot 3 teams in a group and comparing them to the Pot 3 and Pot 4 teams of a different group.

The point is that Liverpool has two opponents that promise to be competitive and one that isn't (2:1). In those Arsenal groups it was the other way round (1:2).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For those who understand french, this is so f***ing hilarious

It's about the draw for OL in the CL :laugh:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Some people are obsessed with this tbh. Do you guys think there's some sort of conspiracy?
There was one time we’re there was a prerecorded draw for Carabao Cup in like 2016 or 2017 that they supposedly refilmed because they didn’t like the results. It’s kind of taken it’s own life since then, but the results speak for itself. City very rarely have gotten tough opponents and it’s even worse in the domestic cups. Not as much a conspiracy theory as a strange phenomenon.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
None of the reasons above are right, I told you lads in the past I get more pissed that random rubbish Hungarian, Bulgarian, Belgium, and Denmark clubs get in the CL over Arsenal and others who deserve it more.

My problem with Ajax is that they sold their player to United and then "cried" about amazing he is and how United have to take care of him. I'm sorry, but this pathetic display for me. If Ajax is going to newspaper and cry, why not just keep the bloke and all the rest they sold instead? They were one match away from making the CL Finals, got a fluke loss against the flukest team in the world, and then sold like majority of their best players. I get that football is foremost a business first, but mate it just seems ridiculous to show how much you care about your football players and club and then sell them to direct CL rivals you're going to face. Personally, it shows a lack of ambition on the Europe spectrum which sucks considering that you lot were building something special and is a slap in the face for Ajax supporters. I hope that clears any misconceptions you had about my view.

Thanks for clearing that up. I think you are overlooking a few important tidbits, though:
  • Ajax is playing in the Eredivisie. At best the #6th league in Europe, but more often 7th/8th. As good as Ajax is domestically, players want to experience a different and better football culture; more exposure, bigger leagues and better competition. You don't want to spend your prime years playing vs RKC and Fortuna Sittard, when you can have the opportunity to play in the Premier League or La Liga. Playing in the Champions League isn't even a certainty with the Netherlands hovering around the 10th place in the coefficient rankings. I'm not even talking about the money, yet. Ajax isn't able to keep a roster in tact. It's not their fault; it's the domestic competition, the pay check and the low population, which will never lead to the massive incomes such as those from clubs of the bigger countries surrounding the Netherlands.
  • Sure Ajax can stand their ground in negotiations, but when City, Liverpool or Barcelona come knocking, or even the tiers below those clubs, players see a picture Ajax and the Eredivisie will never be able to paint them. Players want out sooner or later and the recent surge of Ajax has already extended the average time players spend with us. Tagliafico, Ziyech, Blind, Tadic have all spent (or are spending) some of their prime years here. That was unheard of a few years ago. Ziyech began to lose motivation during his finals months in Amsterdam. Players need the challenge, a change of scenery as they want to develop themselves as much as possible. You can only do that by playing with better players and vs better opponents on a constant base.
  • You call Ajax a farmer club. Fine. They are probably the best at developing players through their famous academy and make over 50M per season that way lately. And that's without the loads of talents who leave abroad before their 16th birthday. That takes way more football knowledge, dedication and time than oil sheiks just throwing money around and form a high priced starting eleven. Ajax has been a way more impressive club than the likes of City and PSG when you look at it from a pure football perspective.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There was one time we’re there was a prerecorded draw for Carabao Cup in like 2016 or 2017 that they supposedly refilmed because they didn’t like the results. It’s kind of taken it’s own life since then, but the results speak for itself. City very rarely have gotten tough opponents and it’s even worse in the domestic cups. Not as much a conspiracy theory as a strange phenomenon.
I think the best one is still Roma/Liverpool tickets being sold on Roma's website before the CL draw.
That remains the best laugh yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad