UEFA Champions League Qualifying Rounds 2020-21

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The point is that Liverpool has two opponents that promise to be competitive and one that isn't (2:1). In those Arsenal groups it was the other way round (1:2).
Ehhhh what a team did two years ago or even last year has little to do with how they'll do this year. I mean, a semi-finalist from last year isn't in Europe at all.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Ehhhh what a team did two years ago or even last year has little to do with how they'll do this year. I mean, a semi-finalist from last year isn't in Europe at all.

Please. Just compare those teams with the opponents Arsenal has had and then tell me it's anything but laughable an Arsenal fan would claim Liverpool has "one of the easiest cakewalk groups" he's ever seen an EPL team have.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Please. Just compare those teams with the opponents Arsenal has had and then tell me it's anything but laughable an Arsenal fan would claim Liverpool has "one of the easiest cakewalk groups" he's ever seen an EPL team have.
Again, you’re conveniently comparing 2/3 vs 3/4 and thinking you’re doing something.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Some people are obsessed with this tbh. Do you guys think there's some sort of conspiracy?

Of course not. I do think it's funny, but it happens. I actually think City's group is harder than people feel. They didn't get the toughest top opponent, but they're not playing any mugs. If Olympiacos had fans, away might even be a touch hard. They should still easily get out, but they're not matches they can play the C team.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Liverpool doesnt have an easy group at all. Not difficult like Madrid's, but not easy. BVB has an easy draw. Red Bull Salzburg should get to the Europa League again. Tough group though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Of course not. I do think it's funny, but it happens. I actually think City's group is harder than people feel. They didn't get the toughest top opponent, but they're not playing any mugs. If Olympiacos had fans, away might even be a touch hard. They should still easily get out, but they're not matches they can play the C team.
What are you on about. The only easier group is the Barca/Juve group

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool - Atalanta matches in November are very interesting, they face Man City in between and there are some international matches which are likely to put pressure on some Pool players as well.
Yeah. I don’t think it will hurt LFC from getting to R16, but definitely swings the pendulum to Man City advantage for the game in Manchester; they are home to Olympiakos

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Zenit will destroy Lazio, I have no doubt.

The other two Russian teams are for a wild ride
Zenit vs Lazio a very even pairing. And don t forget Bruges. Not far away from both.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Still not sure what to think of this draw for Brugge. We played Dortmund very well two years ago, we should have beaten them at home but lost thanks to a late fluke goal, and we shut them out in Germany.
Lazio - which team are we going to see? The Lazio team that dis lousy in the EL in last year, or the team that went on an incredible run in Serie A and almost caught Juve?
And Zenit I haven't followed in a while, but they are so dominant in the Russian League, it's too unpredictable what they're going to do. Thankfully our first game is Zenit away.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The teams have earnt there places in the competition but it sucks to see a bunch of newly rich clubs without much of a glorious past like Leipzig, Bashaksehir, Chelsea and to an extent Krasnodar make it over much more traditional clubs. I hate seeing classic clubs miss out. People asked so I will answer, substitute these clubs this matchday for it to be how it should be

Leipzig for Schalke
Chelsea for Arsenal
Brugge for Anderlecht
Rennes for Lyon
Manchester City for Spurs / Everton / Leeds / Aston Villa
Krasnodar for CSKA / Spartak
Atalanta for AC Milan
Ferencvaros for someone like Celtic
Bashaksehir for Gala/Fenerbache
Maybe Sevilla for Valencia
Maybe Zenit for CSKA / Spartak

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The teams have earnt there places in the competition but it sucks to see a bunch of newly rich clubs without much of a glorious past like Leipzig, Bashaksehir, Chelsea and to an extent Krasnodar make it over much more traditional clubs. I hate seeing classic clubs miss out. People asked so I will answer, substitute these clubs this matchday for it to be how it should be

Leipzig for Schalke
Chelsea for Arsenal
Brugge for Anderlecht
Rennes for Lyon
Atalanta for AC Milan
Maybe Gladbach for Leverkusen

That would be truly awful & a real travesty for football.

And gladback out for Leverkusen? Replacing BMG with a more boring team that has less history? Why on earth would anyone want that?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Leipzig for Schalke
Chelsea for Arsenal
Brugge for Anderlecht
Rennes for Lyon
Atalanta for AC Milan
Maybe Gladbach for Leverkusen
So instead of a merit based system where the number of points each club has in the standings determines their placement and qualification for UEFA competitions, you propose an aristocratic system where clubs that are "historic" based on some arbitrary measure are rewarded with perpetual qualification to the CL?

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
That would be truly awful & a real travesty for football.

And gladback out for Leverkusen? Replacing BMG with a more boring team that has less history? Why on earth would anyone want that?

Why on earth is plastic Leipzig out for classic Schalke a bad thing?

And yeah, Mönchengladbach for Leverkusen would not be good, thinking about it. Leverkusen do not have as much history as I thought

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
So instead of a merit based system where the number of points each club has in the standings determines their placement and qualification for UEFA competitions, you propose an aristocratic system where clubs that are "historic" based on some arbitrary measure are rewarded with perpetual qualification to the CL?

I just want the classic clubs to get more points in their leagues. I obviously want the teams that perform the best in the league to qualify, as it is now. I just want to see the classic teams I mentioned feature in the UCL by being more successful domestically, because this does not feel like the Champions League.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why on earth is plastic Leipzig out for classic Schalke a bad thing?

And yeah, Mönchengladbach for Leverkusen would not be good, thinking about it. Leverkusen do not have as much history as I thought

Because Leipzig is an excellent team who are fun to watch & Schalke is an absolute disaster who are looking like early relegation favorites?

I don't understand how this is even a question.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Because Leipzig is an excellent team who are fun to watch & Schalke is an absolute disaster who are looking like early relegation favorites?

I don't understand how this is even a question. Schalke belong in the relegation playoffs, not CL.
In 1960s team X was good. What’s Norwhich up to? Speaking of classic teams playing CL. Arsenal have won ZERO in europe. This guy wasn’t even born won these teams were good

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

I don't understand how this is even a question.
Yeah, but I don't want Leipzig to be an excellent team who are fun to watch, because they have no history, soul, fanbase, culture or nostalgia. Seeing Schalke in the UCL would be better. I am not talking at all about the quality of the players in the teams right now, I just want the classic clubs to have the best players and best teams, and therefore play in the Champions League.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Also of note is that the arbitrary merit system apparently isn't based upon actual success in the competition since you're throwing out a winner (who also has a runner up and several semi appearances) for a team that's got a single runner up to its name.

Reactions: gary69 and Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad