Euro: UEFA bans Man City for 2 CL seasons

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
No, but when developing commercial partnerships it helps that you’re the only team from your country regularly competing on a global stage.

PSG also has a fan base that City simply doesn’t.

It helps, but does it help so much that they are now commercially more attractive than RM and Man Utd?

And not really sure how big the PSG fanbase historically is. One thing is compare to City another thing is compared to teams like Inter, Arsenal, Dortmund etc.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
No, but when developing commercial partnerships it helps that you’re the only team from your country regularly competing on a global stage.

PSG also has a fan base that City simply doesn’t.
I mean, do they?

Sure, they’re the biggest club in France. But outside France? Five or six seasons ago, you could barely find the French League on tv in most places.

I’m not saying they’ve not made massive progress, but overseas they’re not a big club prior to the massive player investment. I would be interested in seeing some actual numbers from kit sales or tv revenue in Asia for example. They’ve never really won anything outside of France, and the money generated by the league they play in is peanuts. Though the mediapro deal is a bit larger, though also a bit questionable.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I've seen quite a few PSG fans in North America. They're definitely growing.

Anyway, I read that City may end up having points retroactively taken from them in the PL as well depending on the outcome of investigations, etc. which may affect the 2014 title. How bittersweet that could be for Gerrard and Rodgers.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I'm opposed to retroactive point deductions. Those hurt the players more than anyone, and the players are least culpable. I'm also opposed to future point deductions because while that may punish the club by making it difficult to finish in a higher place and thus collect a larger purse, it still punishes the players.

If the FA does anything, I think it should be some closed-door matches.

This may be unprecedented, but what about forcing City to play without a shirt sponsor (or a shirt deal) for X amount of time? Assuming the objective is financial punishment.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm opposed to retroactive point deductions. Those hurt the players more than anyone, and the players are least culpable. I'm also opposed to future point deductions because while that may punish the club by making it difficult to finish in a higher place and thus collect a larger purse, it still punishes the players.

This may be unprecedented, but what about forcing City to play without a shirt sponsor (or a shirt deal) for X amount of time? Assuming the objective is financial punishment.

It seems odd to avoid punishing the players because they didn't have anything to do with it and instead punish the fans who had even less to do with it.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Giving their 2014 title is bush league should never happen. Wont happen IMO. Nor will Gerrard and co take any pride in it.

One way or another the players will be punished. Either on the pitch or in their pockets. It sucks but what you gonna do.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean if you break the rules to gain a competitive advantage (surely cooking the books to buy the best players and thus assemble the best team qualifies?) why wouldn't a retroactive point deduction be an option and what would be wrong with it? At the end of the day the players know the rules too, and know what they sign into when they're all getting stupid money from a team that clearly isn't generating that 'fairly'. You can argue about whether or not those rules are 'fair' overall, but they're there like many others and most clubs at least try or pretend to follow them. City are kind of bringing this on themselves.

Gerrard has already said he's watching the situation closely specifically for that 2014 season and at the end of the day I'm sure they'd be fine with getting that title retroactively if they feel City earned it in some unfair way. I'm sure they'd be happy to have a winners medal in their trophy room.

If it does happen though obviously I hope it would be after this historic Liverpool season since they'll 'legitimately' win the title first.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Actually celebrating and/or bragging about a title you won because a team had points taken away retroactively 6+ years late would be pretty sad.
Olympic medalists do it all the time. Nobody is talking about bragging, but given how hard these athletes work for something and to miss out on the narrowest of margins to teams/players not playing by the same rules is certainly upsetting. I doubt the celebration would be anywhere near the same but I don't see why they wouldn't have a certain sense of pride or accomplishment. But again, why it is bittersweet.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean if you break the rules to gain a competitive advantage (surely cooking the books to buy the best players and thus assemble the best team qualifies?) why wouldn't a retroactive point deduction be an option and what would be wrong with it? At the end of the day the players know the rules too, and know what they sign into when they're all getting stupid money from a team that clearly isn't generating that 'fairly'. You can argue about whether or not those rules are 'fair' overall, but they're there like many others and most clubs at least try or pretend to follow them. City are kind of bringing this on themselves.

Gerrard has already said he's watching the situation closely specifically for that 2014 season and at the end of the day I'm sure they'd be fine with getting that title retroactively if they feel City earned it in some unfair way. I'm sure they'd be happy to have a winners medal in their trophy room.

If it does happen though obviously I hope it would be after this historic Liverpool season since they'll 'legitimately' win the title first.

That aint it chief

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Actually celebrating and/or bragging about a title you won because a team had points taken away retroactively 6+ years late would be pretty sad.
I’d much rather not win a title than instead celebrate it 6 years later on a technicality.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've seen quite a few PSG fans in North America. They're definitely growing.

Anyway, I read that City may end up having points retroactively taken from them in the PL as well depending on the outcome of investigations, etc. which may affect the 2014 title. How bittersweet that could be for Gerrard and Rodgers.

It could also mean United would become champions in 2012 and 2018. Mourinho winning the PL title with United after leaving the club...

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It could also mean United would become champions in 2012 and 2018. Mourinho winning the PL title with United after leaving the club...
Would the penalty be that high? Don't know that the gap could be closed in 2018 unless they're just straight being stripped of the titles.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
When a team needs to vacate a past championship in college sports due to violations that title is just seen as vacant. That seems legitimate to me.

It's also generally ignored. The school doesn't technically claim it, but it's not like anyone who watches the sports stops referring to the team as the winners that year (with the exception of direct rival fans)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad