Euro: UEFA bans Man City for 2 CL seasons

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Pearce is God Tier for Liverpool

I would not be shocked if FSG is out in five years or less.

Agreed. They were pretty adamant that their success was based on self sustainability based on Financial Fairplay and the Arsenal model (making CL without spending much) and pocket some profits. I think they will have a talk with other clubs and european authorities and if they don't 'change' anything they will put the club for sale.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think they'll put the club up for sale. Not yet at least. They've made more money than they could have ever imagined in sheer value of the investment. They invested 300 million in buying the club, and they've paid some of that with profits (though they haven't taken a ton of money back). Conservatively, they could sell the club for nearing 2 billion. Even if the market has crashed, they could sell for a lot more than they paid.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
:facepalm:

1B5FCD1C-6F5E-499D-9B28-169DDA98F48B.jpeg

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, they've done some dumb stuff over the years. The Suarez bid was kinda laughable. I know Liverpool have no love for the people in charge of Arsenal.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I am not sure if this was discussed before, but I just saw that Man City basically got to choose 2 of the 3 judges on the CAS panel themselves? I know that these aren't proper courts and in professional organizations policing themselves there's going to be a different standard than in a court of law, but that leaves a bit of an aftertaste...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Billionaires complain about ethics or morals is the irony of the century. f*** them all.

All ethical and moral transgressions are exactly the same. Always.

While I agree there are differences. The entire sports industry is tainted on some level with brands like Nike and Adidas benefit from Uighur slave labor in China. They don't get the benefit of the doubt from me just because the those companies aren't the ones that are forcing people into slave labor. They are smart enough to know how they are able to produce the goods at that low of cost in China. Ignorance is not an excuse. How much revenue in the sports industry coming from corporate sponsors and advertisements are gained by those companies being connected with those practices? Revenues would be cut by a significant amount IMO because those brands would have less to throw around at these clubs and leagues.

'Virtually the entire apparel industry' — from Gap to H&M to Adidas — is profiting from forced Uighur labor, activists say

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
So it looks like Etihad had made a record sponsorship for 10 years, but then reupped it multiple times within that window. Why?

Is anyone arguing that the deal wasn't suspect? Or was the only argument that other teams had or have suspect deals as well?

It's dead and done, but it's pretty clear there was some attempt to skirt the rules.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
While I agree there are differences. The entire sports industry is tainted on some level with brands like Nike and Adidas benefit from Uighur slave labor in China. They don't get the benefit of the doubt from me just because the those companies aren't the ones that are forcing people into slave labor. They are smart enough to know how they are able to produce the goods at that low of cost in China. Ignorance is not an excuse. How much revenue in the sports industry coming from corporate sponsors and advertisements are gained by those companies being connected with those practices? Revenues would be cut by a significant amount IMO because those brands would have less to throw around at these clubs and leagues.

'Virtually the entire apparel industry' — from Gap to H&M to Adidas — is profiting from forced Uighur labor, activists say

IKEA used the forced labor of East German political prisoners in the 70s and 80s. And so forth. Not many companies out there in any industry that will go to great lengths to make sure all their stuff is manufactured by workers paid a fair wage.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
IKEA used the forded labor of East German political prisoners in the 70s and 80s. And so forth. Not many companies out there in any industry that will go to great lengths to make sure all their stuff is manufactured by workers paid a fair wage.
I'm not even arguing that fair wage is the issue. There is definitely an argument of exploiting countries with low cost labor and how that has destroyed jobs domestically, but I think it's a whole different level when it's not just exploiting regular labor, but when it's essentially slave labor and instead of due diligence you put your head in the sand because of profits and the Chinese market. NBA has been a joke on this issue too. Until these companies and leagues look at China properly and not just as a business opportunity, everything will be tainted on some level.

Sources report abuse at NBA China academies

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->