Euro: UEFA bans Man City for 2 CL seasons

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Wasn't sure if I had to give this its own topic but there ya go;

Manchester City have been banned from European club competition for the next two seasons after being found to have committed "serious breaches" of Uefa's club licensing and financial fair play regulations.

The reigning Premier League champions have also been fined 30m euros (£25m).

The decision is subject to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Manchester City said they were "disappointed but not surprised" by the announcement and will appeal.

More to follow.

(from BBC)

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
How likely are they going to serve this ban? You would think a lot of players will leave or refuse to go because of this. Maybe even pep

Reactions: Cassano

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Should have been punished much more severely for destroying the transfer market beyond repair. Chelski and PSG should be hit with something similar. Maybe a 5 year ban from european competition and obligatory relegation to League One or something would be appropriate.

Well, fifth guarantees UCL qualification this year so that makes Arsenals league season a little more interesting.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If it sticks, there are going to be some players who leave.

But here's the question, when are teams like PSG, Juve and others going to get hit?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Wow. I can't believe they seriously punished a club for financial fair play violations. Hopefully it's just a start but I doubt it.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Good, they actually punish clubs from the 'big leagues' but I'm almost certain it will be reduced upon appeal :rolleyes:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Good, they actually punish clubs from the 'big leagues' but I'm almost certain it will be reduced upon appeal :rolleyes:
Still, a full year is massive.

Also, an appeal isn't a guarantee so players may just not want to risk it and ask out sooner than later.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This will also get pushed off and not apply to next season. But that has the effect of harming their player recruitment for another year because players won't join teams where it's up in the air if they'll be able to play the Champions League for two seasons.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
They are better off taking the punishment right away - certainly no point in pushing it in to the future.

Take it now and pray it will only be one year. No players lost. Push it into the year after and players will start to plan leaving.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Should have been punished much more severely for destroying the transfer market beyond repair. Chelski and PSG should be hit with something similar. Maybe a 5 year ban from european competition and obligatory relegation to League One or something would be appropriate.

Well, fifth guarantees UCL qualification this year so that makes Arsenals league season a little more interesting.

Pretty ironic an EPL fan is complaining about this.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Holy smokes this Liverpool team could be dominant for a while. I don't see any teams challenging them the way City can....well when City can spend a ton of money...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad