Euro: UEFA bans Man City for 2 CL seasons

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
United, Chelsea and Spurs IMO can win the title next year if they smartly spend big and keep hold of the top end talent (Kane, Pogba, ect)

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
This is horseshit by UEFA. For years, they kept a blind eye to football oligarchs and now are selecting non-traditional teams to pick on.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
United, Chelsea, Spurs and whoever else some of you want to mention won't challenge much for the league next season. Even if they did spend big it would take at least three big signings per team (and that might be a conservative figure) while they can only draw so many of the necessary signings in the first place. That's not to mention none of those sides have a manager at the helm who can put it all together even if they somehow are able to sign the players. We're a few years away from one of them posing a real challenge to Liverpool.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Some of those teams are over 40 points behind. As stated above, it will take a while for them to get up to a champions point total. You’d think the benchmark would be around 92 points or so. To think Liverpool would get less than 90 points with the difference in quality between these teams would be delusional.

Manchester City could face Premier League sanctions over FFP breaches

There are other things besides the false accounts that come into play with this one. Like when they paid Sancho’s dad for his kid to come play there.

They may hit them with a point deduction for next season.

Last edited:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Everyone knows they have to balance their books with sales, so they will be absolutely robbed. They also won't be able to use all the money they get, and they won't have Pep. Easily is not the word I would use. If this is upheld they will have far less revenue than Liverpool, United, Arsenal, and Chelsea.

And if it's not upheld they'll be able to spend 400 million every summer. So the Dortmund guy defending him will be really glad when they make it nearly impossible for his team to keep good players.

If the ban is upheld, and this scenario occurs, an interesting question would be whether rival clubs are so keen to cripple the People's Billionaires they make a private agreement not to enter into bidding wars that drive up City's asking prices.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
As for City's revenue if banned from the CL, in 2018/19 their turnover was £535 million, of which £86 million came from UEFA TV money (source: Swiss ramble).

Remove that money alone from the 2018/19 figures, and City's turnover was a mere £3 million lower than Liverpool's. However, we don't know whether City's commercial deals include penalty clauses for missing the CL, or whether the prospect of no CL exposure might deter new partnerships, causing other income streams to flatline for at least a year or two.

Crucially, if they wish to keep wages under 60% of turnover (supposedly the target for clubs who want to stay fiscally healthy), in this scenario a minimum of £44 million would need cutting from the 2018/19 wage bill of £315 million.

Note: the increased domestic TV deal beginning in 2019 means the above figures are only a rough guide.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The one thing that isn’t completely being factored in is they can move a player or three and balance the books. They could come out and sell Sane, Sterling or what’s left of Aguero, and recapture more than what they probably lost. Heck, one top player might fetch 70-80 million and that could mitigate much of it.

It’s not completely sustainable, but they bought a Billion dollars worth of player. They could sell it off, and be able to keep afloat for a while. Or at least long enough to rebalance their revenues. Sure, some clubs will try and lower the price since they’re over a barrel, but someone will say screw it and pay their value.

It’s not all doom and gloom, if they can keep Pep. If they keep him, I think players won’t all leave, and with no Europe to distract (or a delay with an appeal), it could be much of the same. The trouble is they have some glaring needs if they wanted to catch Liverpool

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This is horse**** by UEFA. For years, they kept a blind eye to football oligarchs and now are selecting non-traditional teams to pick on.

Which other teams should they have picked on? The ones following the rules?

Barcelona and RM have had some questionable things happening in the past, but is there anything that suggests they are not complying now? Then you got teams like Man Utd and possibly Arsenal were the owners are taking money out of the club.

"Smaller" teams like AC Milan, Monaco etc. have had to adjust. Chelsea have changed (even if they manage to then break other rules).

I also think UEFA have been under some serious pressure to do something from the other big clubs. I know one gone poster that would argue what we are now seeing is worse "corruption" than what City have been caught for. I wouldn't agree to that at all. I see the point that the old big clubs are trying to keep new ones from building themselves up, but there are other ways to fix that than having clubs randomly being bought by middle eastern states.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
The one thing that isn’t completely being factored in is they can move a player or three and balance the books. They could come out and sell Sane, Sterling or what’s left of Aguero, and recapture more than what they probably lost. Heck, one top player might fetch 70-80 million and that could mitigate much of it.

That said, City would have to replace Sterling and Aguero - you're talking a pair who between them average a goal a game in the EPL. Without CL football, I wonder what kind of salaries City would offer their preferred targets - and again, those targets' clubs might be unwilling to give City an easy time in negotiations.

Moreover, Sane's contract ends in 2021. City's leverage with him is diminished compared to last summer. We were told David Silva wasn't going to be offered a new contract, and the dynamics of replacing him are changed if sales are necessary and the wage bill needs to be kept on a tight rein.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
One last speculation - supposing City were to carry off this season's CL - would the owners be tempted to quit on a high, or would such a success harden their resolve for avenging these insults?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Who knows what the long game is for those owners. I highly doubt it has much to do with the joy of winning football games.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Who knows what the long game is for those owners. I highly doubt it has much to do with the joy of winning football games.

The long game is a PR campaign and to make themselves seem as legitimate in the western business world and that they’re not just slave labor and oil money.

That’s why I don’t think they’ll sell now. Not only have they pumped hundreds of millions into the club, they’d be seen as leaving as a failure and fraud. They’ll want to stick around, build back to what they were/are and then sell.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
That said, City would have to replace Sterling and Aguero - you're talking a pair who between them average a goal a game in the EPL. Without CL football, I wonder what kind of salaries City would offer their preferred targets - and again, those targets' clubs might be unwilling to give City an easy time in negotiations.

Moreover, Sane's contract ends in 2021. City's leverage with him is diminished compared to last summer. We were told David Silva wasn't going to be offered a new contract, and the dynamics of replacing him are changed if sales are necessary and the wage bill needs to be kept on a tight rein.
They would have to replace them, but Sterling alone could bring more than a 100. You could move him and say Rodri, balance the budget, and have some leftover to get a player or two. It’s difficult, but by cheating the books for so long, they have assets in players they could move.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This is horse**** by UEFA. For years, they kept a blind eye to football oligarchs and now are selecting non-traditional teams to pick on.
It's been explained repeatedly in this thread already why this is a disingenuous take. No other top club has been caught doing what City did.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are some key components that you seem to not be aware of, or you are distorting them because they don't fit your argument and you don't want to back down.

Now you are distorting my argument.

And if it's not upheld they'll be able to spend 400 million every summer. So the Dortmund guy defending him will be really glad when they make it nearly impossible for his team to keep good players.

The other teams that you seem to have a problem with were punished once. They were all punished the same way.

This is City's second punishment. This punishment was decided by an independent body of European judges. Not by UEFA.

I think you are completely missing the point. I'm sure UEFA maintains that its very systematic how they decide this stuff, and it seems like you buy all of it.

I don't. I see FFP violations with how some clubs operate. I think a number of clubs are at least violating what is supposed to be the intent of the rules, if not outright violating the rules. I don't guide my opinions based on the decisions one of the most corrupt organizations in sport makes on the matter or these judges that you refer to. I form my own opinion, so you don't need to appeal to authority.

For the record, the second time Milan were punished they were also banned from Europe. Galatasaray were also banned. Gala tried to appeal and did not win, so there's precedent to suggest City won't win either. So let's make this clear. Teams that are punished twice are banned from Europe. That has been the case for years. City has now been punished twice and they are banned from Europe. They can be banned again if they do not change whatever it is that got them banned in the first place, which is reporting false accounts that do not show them breaking the rules when they are breaking the rules.

In other words, UEFA are paper tigers. They banned a team that won't qualify for Europe, and banned a team that will make no dent in Europe.

But you just helped make my point. These violations are happening. It's not only City due to committing fraud. That wouldn't be the only reason to institute a ban. UEFA is very arbitrary in how they are deciding what constitutes a long ban and what doesn't.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It was ESPN but they said Madrid was looking to buy Sterling for 180M. You sell him for that and buy Sancho for 130M, Sterling is probably on 300k or more wages and you can probably pay Sancho 150k. You just made 50M and cut the wages in half. That's a very video game like scenario but could be somewhat possible. You could possibly do the same with De Bruyne selling him to say Bayern and then buy Havertz for less. You'll take a hit on the field next year, which you were going to do regardless, but make money, shed wages and get two guys for the future. City still have big pockets so they can still buy, they just need to sell right and buy right.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
But
It was ESPN but they said Madrid was looking to buy Sterling for 180M. You sell him for that and buy Sancho for 130M, Sterling is probably on 300k or more wages and you can probably pay Sancho 150k. You just made 50M and cut the wages in half. That's a very video game like scenario but could be somewhat possible. You could possibly do the same with De Bruyne selling him to say Bayern and then buy Havertz for less. You'll take a hit on the field next year, which you were going to do regardless, but make money, shed wages and get two guys for the future. City still have big pockets so they can still buy, they just need to sell right and buy right.

Why would Sancho go to City if they are out of the champions league for two years? I think they can bring in quality players from their sales, but not to the level of Sancho or Havretz. What isn't being talk about is that even before that they needed a rebuild. Kompany left which they never replaced, Silva is leaving, Fernandinho is leaving, and Aguero could by 2021. That is 4 really important players over the years that would have left. Rodri is the only replacement so fat. Foden hasn't played enough. They really are in a tough spot if this upholds, or even a year as the PL now could give them sanctions.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But

Why would Sancho go to City if they are out of the champions league for two years? I think they can bring in quality players from their sales, but not to the level of Sancho or Havretz. What isn't being talk about is that even before that they needed a rebuild. Kompany left which they never replaced, Silva is leaving, Fernandinho is leaving, and Aguero could by 2021. That is 4 really important players over the years that would have left. Rodri is the only replacement so fat. Foden hasn't played enough. They really are in a tough spot if this upholds, or even a year as the PL now could give them sanctions.

Everything I read about Sancho is that he is highly linked to United who wouldn't be in the champions league either. Not sure how he left City but if it was on decent turns he might want to go back, kinda like Pogda did to United. I don't know what Havretz wants to do but City can still probably pay decent, he should get game time if DeBruyne is gone and if Pep stays he may want to work with him. As for replacing those players Pep is going to have to use City's youth. Garcia should be playing next to Laporte and Foden every game even if just as a sub. If Pep won't play youth then City has no shot of getting out of this easily because they will need the cheap young players to contribute.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Everything I read about Sancho is that he is highly linked to United who wouldn't be in the champions league either. Not sure how he left City but if it was on decent turns he might want to go back, kinda like Pogda did to United. I don't know what Havretz wants to do but City can still probably pay decent, he should get game time if DeBruyne is gone and if Pep stays he may want to work with him. As for replacing those players Pep is going to have to use City's youth. Garcia should be playing next to Laporte and Foden every game even if just as a sub. If Pep won't play youth then City has no shot of getting out of this easily because they will need the cheap young players to contribute.
No one will go with no CL though.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I don't see him going to United either if they don't make it. Chelsea seems the best choice if both Manchester teams miss out. Or he can wait another year. Even with Laporte they still need another centerback as shown by this year. Ottamendi and Stones aren't the answer and Garcia is 18. So more money to their rebuild.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, a team who boasts KdB, Sterling, Sane (even if his contract is running down), Laporte, Aguero (even if older) Bernardo Silva, Ederson, and others is not going to suffer for talent. Sure, some of them might want to leave. Some might be willing to stick it out if Pep stays.

Sure, they needed to retool a bit. But the central point is, they've been cheating for close to a decade. They have a ton of talent they could sell off and still make enough money to make the CL in two seasons, (or one if they get a reduction), and honestly, they're far enough in front of the pack for the top 4, where it wouldn't take much to see them stay around there even if they sold off one or two of their best players.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
No one will go with no CL though.

This statement is somewhat limited.

Sure, most players want the CL. But that isn't the only factor in making a decision. Heck, there's a boat load of players who are moving to clubs like United who don't have any guarantee that CL will be there. Arsenal as well.

Bigger questions for many of them are Who's the manager? Who do they get to play with? Is it one season out? Is it two? Will they pay my agent enough? Will they pay my associated entourage, family, third cousin, whomever money under the table?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Now you are distorting my argument.

I think you are completely missing the point. I'm sure UEFA maintains that its very systematic how they decide this stuff, and it seems like you buy all of it.

I don't. I see FFP violations with how some clubs operate. I think a number of clubs are at least violating what is supposed to be the intent of the rules, if not outright violating the rules. I don't guide my opinions based on the decisions one of the most corrupt organizations in sport makes on the matter or these judges that you refer to. I form my own opinion, so you don't need to appeal to authority.

In other words, UEFA are paper tigers. They banned a team that won't qualify for Europe, and banned a team that will make no dent in Europe.

But you just helped make my point. These violations are happening. It's not only City due to committing fraud. That wouldn't be the only reason to institute a ban. UEFA is very arbitrary in how they are deciding what constitutes a long ban and what doesn't.

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read in my 15 years here, and I spent about half that time reading everything that gets deleted. I don't understand why you aren't willing to admit that you're wrong and this isn't even the first time this weekend.

What you're suggesting basically is that it doesn't matter that there were bans given to the only teams that committed two violations. You also still think UEFA decided this ban which is absolutely mindblowing. You want it to be different this time because your judgment is the best and that means judges who are way more educated and accomplished than you are wrong.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest City are being picked on, and that's really all that matters here.

Reactions: Blender

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's been explained repeatedly in this thread already why this is a disingenuous take. No other top club has been caught doing what City did.
It's a minute, arbitrary issue compared to what's been going on for the past 15 yrs. We all know UEFA's intentions with superteams with their proposed Champions Cup or w/e they proposed the past year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad