20-21’ - Will play in Europa
21’-22’ - Back in the CL if they qualify
20’-21’ - City’s CL spot will be taken by the 5th place team

OR

20’-21’ - City in CL - Appeal pending
Reduced to one year
21’-22’ - Europa League
22’-23’ - City in CL

The ban would be from all UEFA continental competitions (Champions, Europa, or a random third if they add it)

Reactions: Elvis P

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
All I'm going to say is HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO Kevin de Bruyne!

Holy smokes this Liverpool team could be dominant for a while. I don't see any teams challenging them the way City can....well when City can spend a ton of money...

But, but, but according to some on this forum the Premier League is currently as strong as it's ever been. I mean look:

Maybe not yet but that could ceirtainly become the case sooner rather than later. There are only about 2 teams from each of the top 5 leagues that look like they can compete with the traditional big 6 in England long term.

As if Guardiola didn't know.

:facepalm:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
All I'm going to say is HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO Kevin de Bruyne!

But, but, but according to some on this forum the Premier League is currently as strong as it's ever been. I mean look:

:facepalm:
Not really, it is weaker this season than it has been for a long time. La Liga, the main competitor of the PL is uncharacteristically weak though. Arsenal, United, Tottenham and Chelsea are all heavily underperforming this season and will likely be a lot better soon. Liverpool and City are some of the best teams the league has ever seen. With the TV deal I can only see the gap between the PL and other leagues getting bigger too.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not really, it is weaker this season than it has been for a long time. The La Liga, the main competitor of the PL is uncharacteristically weak though. Arsenal, United, Tottenham and Chelsea are all heavily underperforming this season and will likely be a lot better soon. Liverpool and City are some of the best teams the league has ever seen. With the TV deal I can only see the gap between the PL and other leagues getting bigger too.

For starters, the "gap" if there is one, is between the Premiership and La Liga. And assuming there is one it's so slight you barely notice it. People have been talking about the TV deal for years. It's barely made a difference if at all. Premier clubs are spending more but aren't necessarily better. And look at where they're recruiting from.

As for La Liga, as I've noted multiple times when referencing the Premiership, it is also not a great league season with the big clubs stuttering. That said Madrid and Barça still are set up for the future to some degree and both clubs are starting to perform better. You could say the same about Atleti. And as Barça have just demonstrated, revenue from a TV deal isn't the only way to go.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This comes as a surprise to you les habs? I envy anyone that can live life thinking that well of other human beings. Often seen among kids, but so so rare among adults.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Holy smokes this Liverpool team could be dominant for a while. I don't see any teams challenging them the way City can....well when City can spend a ton of money...

Not trying to be arrogant and it's easy to say now because City is screwed. But this was likely to be the case barring one specific event anyway, meaning VVD injury. Even in the case of if a key player decided to leave, all our key players are worth an enormous amount of money that could properly replace them.

Now that being said, if Chelsea is to add Sancho (which isn't that likely to me) and Ziyech, they'll challenge. It seems to me that people are very much underestimating the impact Ziyech will have.

Reactions: robertmac43

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Of course Liverpool won't be dominating for a long time because of this. Arsenal could improve just as much as Liverpool have done the last 3 years. Let us not pretend this is something permanent.

It will obviously help Liverpool- but then same is true for all the proper football clubs at the top in English football.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Whether you think the PL is weak this year or. It depends on how you interpret the stats and maybe your politics.

I think Sheffield Utd in 5th shows the PL is strong. A lot of the La Liga fans think PL is weak because there aren’t 2-3 teams blowing everyone else away.
I stand by it but I also think it depends on how you evaluate it.

Anyway, I’m not going to get too worked up about this until City misses the the two years. They are going to lawyer up

Reactions: Elvis P

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Arsenal need a lot. It’s also not clear that they have a manager who can do the job.

I’m not saying they can’t or won’t, but they’re at least a season or two from really contending.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
This comes as a surprise to you les habs? I envy anyone that can live life thinking that well of other human beings. Often seen among kids, but so so rare among adults.

@Live in the Now already covered it which makes what I'm quoting here even more laughable.

Whether you think the PL is weak this year or. It depends on how you interpret the stats and maybe your politics.

I think Sheffield Utd in 5th shows the PL is strong. A lot of the La Liga fans think PL is weak because there aren’t 2-3 teams blowing everyone else away.
I stand by it but I also think it depends on how you evaluate it.

Anyway, I’m not going to get too worked up about this until City misses the the two years. They are going to lawyer up

LOL, politics. Ditto for the Sheffield United bit.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Arsenal need a lot. It’s also not clear that they have a manager who can do the job.

I’m not saying they can’t or won’t, but they’re at least a season or two from really contending. Then some of the question is will Auba be the same in three seasons? Or even there.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

I’m not saying they can’t or won’t, but they’re at least a season or two from really contending.

Not saying it will happen, but no one predicted this for Liverpool either.

This isn't La Liga. Even cheating City couldn't completely dominate - so clearly Liverpool won't either.

It won't be 30-40 years between Liverpool winning again though. Not sure if it would even if City get out of this. Seems like their spending has already been lower due to FFP.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Lol at Sheffield being 5th meaning that the PL is strong. That's absolute crazy talk.

Bit early with the Liverpool dynasty talk too.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
@Live in the Now already covered it which makes what I'm quoting here even more laughable.

LOL, politics. Ditto for the Sheffield United bit.

Right. So living off past "crimes" makes it ok? Haha. Funny. Naive and arrogant. Smashing combination.

And as if City haven't cheated the system since. I know he is your man and everything, but :confused:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
For starters, Guadiola isn't "my man" as I've made abundantly clear since the day he left.

As for the rest of it, you said he didn't know and it was pointed out to you that it was before he got there. You seem have a clear misunderstanding as to not only the role of a manager but what it looks like in real life.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Not saying it will happen, but no one predicted this for Liverpool either.

This isn't La Liga. Even cheating City couldn't completely dominate - so clearly Liverpool won't either.

It won't be 30-40 years between Liverpool winning again though. Not sure if it would even if City get out of this. Seems like their spending has already been lower due to FFP.
I didn’t predict this type of success. But after last season and the growth shown in getting to the Europa finals the year before, they showed some potential to continue to improve. The question for me was still how would City respond. I figured they might go harder for CL success, but I didn’t expect to be 22 out in February.

The hesitation I have for Arsenal still goes more to manager. Even Klopp took a number of windows to get it right with Edwards working his behind off. But he actually had a track record of building clubs.

All that said, I think there’s still a chance City use this to win the league. If Pep stayed, and if they kept most of their talent (along with adding a part or two), they could certainly benefit from the time off between matches to prepare. I don’t know that it works that way, because there’s so many ifs.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's easy to say City can lawyer up, but to my knowledge there has never been a case at CAS where a club gave fake documents in order to get a license to play European football.

Let's start this off by saying they already got in trouble from UEFA in 2014 and they decided to accept those sanctions. This most definitely does not help their case. Then in order to not get in trouble again, they decided to lie and say they were receiving money from Etihad Airlines for their shirt sponsorship when the reality was that the owner had given the club about 60 million pounds. Whether or not they even paid taxes on this is heavily in question. Which as everyone here knows is an actual crime.

There are still other violations that haven't been decided on yet. Coincidentally one of them is that they paid one of Sancho's family members a large payment so that he would sign there when he left Watford. Another is that they paid Mancini and Guardiola using off-shore accounts, which isn't illegal, but City never reported those payments when doing their accounts so that they wouldn't have to pay taxes and/or report those as losses under both the league and European versions of FFP. Which again, isn't those managers fault as there would be no way to know how the board is reporting that money. There is no manager on this planet that would be allowed to look at stuff like that even if they asked.

The fact is that we don't know. But what we do know is that most everyone in Europe, and every other club for that matter really hates City and it is hard to think that will not play into whether or not their punishment will be upheld.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If City see major changes, then yes, Liverpool would go into it as prohibitive favorites. I think they were anyhow. But it might be more so with this.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I'm not talking about the last year for Liverpool. Not that long ago the starting line up for Liverpool was a bit of a joke. Arsenal actually got some half decent pieces to start with.

Anyway. Not suggesting Liverpool will disappear. That would be shocking. But as things changed for the better quite quickly for them teams like Utd and Arsenal will not umderachieve for forever. 20/21 is probably too early, but who knows. And Liverpool will not go on with 100 points+ seasons.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not talking about the last year for Liverpool. Not that long ago the starting line up for Liverpool was a bit of a joke. Arsenal actually got some half decent pieces to start with.

Anyway. Not suggesting Liverpool will disappear. That would be shocking. But as things changed for the better quite quickly for them teams like Utd and Arsenal will not umderachieve for forever. 20/21 is probably too early, but who knows. And Liverpool will not go on with 100 points+ seasons.

To me, a while = two more years

Which would make four years and a CL final in the year before that.

What I find rather interesting is that it took nearly a whole year from the time City were going to be banned for the punishment to officially be announced. I'm also curious to know how far this is actually going to go. UEFA will at some point have the ability to access all their financial records, and their shop is leaky. Some stuff may come out that City may not want to come out. There are rules and even the most rich people do sometimes have to follow them.

City does have to talk a big game about appealing and such as it is essential to keeping players and staff, but I can see how there could come a point where they drop it.

Reactions: Havre

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It certainly can change quickly. It might for some other clubs. I think Chelsea seem most likely in some ways. But I think Arsenal needs way too much on the back line and midfield. I don’t see it with an inexperienced manager

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Chelsea haven't exactly got an experienced manager either ;)

No one would have stopped Liverpool this season. They are like Leicester with really good players.

For next season I can certainly see the argument if City weakens that you don't have to be amazing to win the title. Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all got some serious issues. Don't see Chelsea being closest to anything, but I really couldn't say who first put it together. Who picks up the next Salah this summer? That might be the difference.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Annyteam can challenge if they get the right players and improve form.

I mean I hate Manchester United but I could see them crawl back challenging eventually in a not so distant future with players like Greenwood and Rashford leading the charge.

Same with Chelsea, they really have some strong foundations.

As for Arsenal.. I am not sold on their team at all. Their best players are in their late 20s and they might be in cash crunch by missing repetitive CL. I also don't get the hype on Guendouzi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad