Euro: UEFA bans Man City for 2 CL seasons

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They are better off taking the punishment right away - certainly no point in pushing it in to the future.

Take it now and pray it will only be one year. No players lost. Push it into the year after and players will start to plan leaving.

Well if they take the punishment they can’t appeal or hope for it to be a one year punishment. Effectively it could turn into a three year punishment if they lose the appeal, because they won’t sign anyone important this summer now. They just won’t.

There’s also a strong chance of Pep leaving to boot. He isn’t the one who committed fraud by faking their account numbers, so he probably doesn’t feel like he should personally be punished.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This will also have implications beyond City as the transfer market will now be deflated a little bit. I think they’ll sign players, but certainly not anyone worth spending 40-50 million on. Their lack of participation in that part of the market will bring fees down.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
As if Guardiola didn't know.

I don't know the technicalities here. So if you can't hope for a reduced sentence while being under ban then of course you wouldn't take it - if you had any hope of getting it overturned.

When it comes to transfer bans these seem to be shortened while being under ban. But again- I don't know anything about the legal technicalities here.

Two year ban 1.5 years from now would be the end of City. The whole core would be gone and they would have no money available to rebuild. They would become the club they always should have been.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Pretty ironic an EPL fan is complaining about this.
Fan of an EPL team, but not an EPL fan. I don’t want the PL to keep financially dominating Europe and ruining the competitiveness between the EPL and other leagues in the Champions League and Europa League.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They appeal (they'll win to some extent) they dangle loads of money on the players this summer and everyone forgets this occurred. I think this is likely to happen. At the end of the day city bring in far too much money and ratings for this to hinder their project. This is all what Uefa care about anyway.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Fan of an EPL team, but not an EPL fan. I don’t want the PL to keep financially dominating Europe and ruining the competitiveness between the EPL and other leagues in the Champions League and Europa League.
The EPL hasnt ruined anything other than their use of the money.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The EPL hasnt ruined anything other than their use of the money.

Maybe not yet but that could ceirtainly become the case sooner rather than later. There are only about 2 teams from each of the top 5 leagues that look like they can compete with the traditional big 6 in England long term.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
As if Guardiola didn't know.

I don't know the technicalities here. So if you can't hope for a reduced sentence while being under ban then of course you wouldn't take it - if you had any hope of getting it overturned.

When it comes to transfer bans these seem to be shortened while being under ban. But again- I don't know anything about the legal technicalities here.

Two year ban 1.5 years from now would be the end of City. The whole core would be gone and they would have no money available to rebuild. They would become the club they always should have been.

Pep wasn’t at the club when the rules violation happened, and he’d only have known if he was given information at board level about their accounts from years he wasn’t there. It’s actually extremely likely he was lied to, which means all the more reason to leave.

So yeah, it’s like he didn’t know. Anyway, City fans (how few there are) can put their United shirts back on.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Everyone knew what was happening at City. One of the most commercially attractive clubs in the world. Such a joke. One might pretend not to know or like others think it is a good thing that corrupt states plow money into football, but everyone know.

PSG is the same of course. But maybe they have hidden it better. Time will show.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pep wasn’t at the club when the rules violation happened, and he’d only have known if he was given information at board level about their accounts from years he wasn’t there. It’s actually extremely likely he was lied to, which means all the more reason to leave.

So yeah, it’s like he didn’t know. Anyway, City fans (how few there are) can put their United shirts back on.

I dont think this changes anything CIty still will be a power house

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I dont think this changes anything CIty still will be a power house

Oh but this is only part one of the story.

The next part comes when they're charged for tax evasion as they were secretly paying players with offshore accounts in order to avoid paying taxes. This was also in the e-mail drop where this came from. The FA is also going to have something to say about that.

Also, while they're going to appeal, in order to make that stick they're likely going to have to turn over all their e-mail communication in order to prove those leaked e-mails were fake. They probably won't.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

2 from Italy (Inter, Juve), two from Germany (Dortmund, Bayern), two or three from Spain (Barca and Real, maybe Atletico depending on how the Simeone situation develops), and one from France (PSG). Name another one

Last edited:

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
My guess....

20-21’ - Will play in Europa
21’-22’ - Back in the CL if they qualify
20’-21’ - City’s CL spot will be taken by the 5th place team

OR

20’-21’ - City in CL - Appeal pending
Reduced to one year
21’-22’ - Europa League