UBS Arena: Westbound and Down (or something like that)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I use the parking garage. Never a problem getting in or out.
The garage is such a game changer. Can’t wait for it to snow during a game and not have to spend 5 minutes clearing off the car.

Reactions: Big L

Sideshow Bob

Nov 18, 2008
springfield prison
I use the parking garage. Never a problem getting in or out.
how much is garage parking? nothing posted on website. only parkwhiz link for emrald parking. (which seems to have gone up a lot compared to last year, and now service fee which ticketmaster did not have for parking last year)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What about staying near UBS in Elmont as a base for our stay on Long Island?
Pass on that. However, the Garden City Hotel is in a great location with a lot of good bars and restaurants a short walk away, and the LIRR station is one block from the hotel.

I don't use Airbnb's but many have said that hotel prices in the NYC area are now competitive with Airbnb's and can be less in many cases.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Pass on that. However, the Garden City Hotel is in a great location with a lot of good bars and restaurants a short walk away, and the LIRR station is one block from the hotel.

Yeah, this is the move if you can afford the GC Hotel. GC LIRR to UBS is like 10 min and maybe $3.50 each way, no need to deal with traffic or parking.

I don't use Airbnb's but many have said that hotel prices in the NYC area are now competitive with Airbnb's and can be less in many cases.
That's the case in many places unfortunately, Airbnb isn't the deal it used to be. After all the made-up fees and whatnot you're often paying more than a decent hotel rate to stay in a dingy spare bedroom with a chore list.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah, this is the move if you can afford the GC Hotel. GC LIRR to UBS is like 10 min and maybe $3.50 each way, no need to deal with traffic or parking.

That's the case in many places unfortunately, Airbnb isn't the deal it used to be. After all the made-up fees and whatnot you're often paying more than a decent hotel rate to stay in a dingy spare bedroom with a chore list.
Depending on when he’s coming to the Island, you can get a run of the mill room at the GC hotel for under $220 a night.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That Belmont hotel can’t come soon enough. All the JFK area hotels are awful, this hotel is going to get a lot of traffic beyond hockey and horses.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That Belmont hotel can’t come soon enough. All the JFK area hotels are awful, this hotel is going to get a lot of traffic beyond hockey and horses.

I'm excited for it. It'll make going to games a bit easier for me sometimes (as long as it isn't outrageously priced). The Marriott was such a dump next to the Coliseum this will feel like I'm staying at the Palace of Versailles.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I love the idea of the hotel on site and imagine I'll make the trip up to catch a game and stay over right next door. My biggest concern is that whatever I lay out on tickets and the hotel will be a drop in the bucket compared with the damage my wife could do at the shopping village. :eek2:

[kinda playing the old school wife stereotype here - mine isn't so bad in that respect, and if I'm spending on game tickets I guess she's entitled to a pair of socks or something ;)]

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I love the idea of the hotel on site and imagine I'll make the trip up to catch and game and stay over right next door. My biggest concern is that whatever I lay out on tickets and the hotel will be a drop in the bucket compared with the damage my wife could do at the shopping village. :eek2:

[kinda playing the old school wife stereotype here - mine isn't so bad in that respect, and if I'm spending on game tickets I guess she's entitled to a pair of socks or something ;)]

Just don't order any food at the arena and you'll be fine. If she wants a drink you're going to need a loan.

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
No hotel info, but teaser on the village from value retail (Makin’s company): Belmont Park Village | New York | The Bicester Collection
"The Village will bring The Bicester Collection’s unique model of experiential retail, clienteling, five-star service, merchandising approach and discerning customer acquisition, to the US."

:skeptic:

Note the stress on "global destination" and the map showing the retail village plus JFK and Laguardia. And while we may not find $9.99 Puma slides there, they do mention restaurants and cafes which is good. Assuming we can get past the front door.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
"The Village will bring The Bicester Collection’s unique model of experiential retail, clienteling, five-star service, merchandising approach and discerning customer acquisition, to the US."

Note the stress on "global destination" and the map showing the retail village plus JFK and Laguardia. And while we may not find $9.99 Puma slides there, they do mention restaurants and cafes which is good. Assuming we can get past the front door.
I’m guessing there won’t be an Applebees there

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

"No hats, no jerseys," they need to keep the riffraff out.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
other than the hockey card display-- is there anything new at the arena this year?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
other than the hockey card display-- is there anything new at the arena this year?
Not that I can think of. The team can do a much better job at putting up display cases with all the awards and Stanley Cup paraphernalia the Isles have accumulated over the decades.

Also, when is UBS Arena going to put down actual tile or floor treatments on the 200 level? The floor there now is the same uncompleted one from the grand opening. It looks like Home Depot up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad