UBS Arena: Road Trippin'- Home Opener 11/20 vs. CGY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Stan looks moderately healthy, you can see he's slowing down. I hope he's able to see the Isles on the other side of all this and another Cup before his time passes. Furthermore, I hope the Isles find a way to keep him integrated with the team - including increasing his role/appearances. People will really miss some of these old fellas once they are gone. They were connected with the team/players/etc. The InstaClick people suck overall, but in comparison to someone like Stan, it's a long gone day.

I initially thought Stan was a Rangers broadcaster who chimed in on the Isles and Devils from time to time. I gained a huge respect for him when he grilled Tavares on ditching the Isles for the Leafs.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I initially thought Stan was a Rangers broadcaster who chimed in on the Isles and Devils from time to time. I gained a huge respect for him when he grilled Tavares on ditching the Isles for the Leafs.
He's old school Isles and NY Hockey generally.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

This video is old, but I somehow never saw it before.

At 0:12 they say UBS is "The first hockey driven designed arena that's ever been built." No other NHL arena was built from the ground up thinking about hockey first? How can that be true? Especially of the arenas in major markets. Either way, I can't wait till individual tix go on sale.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

This video is old, but I somehow never saw it before.

At 0:12 they say UBS is "The first hockey driven designed arena that's ever been built." No other NHL arena was built from the ground up thinking about hockey first? How can that be true? Especially of the arenas in major markets. Either way, I can't wait till individual tix go on sale.

I think they mean the other new arenas in US major markets were built as multi-use facilities, not with a hockey team as the prime tenant.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I think they mean the other new arenas in US major markets were built as multi-use facilities, not with a hockey team as the prime tenant.

But is that really true though? Would Little Cesars for instance exist if not for the Wings?

I mean it isn't a big deal really. It's just a phrase they threw in there for marketing purposes, but I just don't see how it's acurate.

Speaking of UBS' multi-use nature, I just went on their website & saw that John Mayer tickets are going on sale soon for March 2022. So far of the 4 booked musical acts (Eric Church, Genesis, John Mayer and The Weeknd) Mayer is the guy I'd be most interested in seeing. I'm obviously mostly excited about the Isles, but I'm also really looking forward to seeing some concerts there too. I've seen a couple at Barclays, and it's a good enough venue (and very conveinient for me to get to), but for such a modern facility, I feel like it is lacking in a lot of areas.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Stan was writing about hockey before there were an Islanders or Devils franchise . . .

Reactions: Beacon Isles

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But is that really true though? Would Little Cesars for instance exist if not for the Wings?

I mean it isn't a big deal really. It's just a phrase they threw in there for marketing purposes, but I just don't see how it's acurate.

Speaking of UBS' multi-use nature, I just went on their website & saw that John Mayer tickets are going on sale soon for March 2022. So far of the 4 booked musical acts (Eric Church, Genesis, John Mayer and The Weeknd) Mayer is the guy I'd be most interested in seeing. I'm obviously mostly excited about the Isles, but I'm also really looking forward to seeing some concerts there too. I've seen a couple at Barclays, and it's a good enough venue (and very conveinient for me to get to), but for such a modern facility, I feel like it is lacking in a lot of areas.
I've been to Little Caesar's for a Red Wings game and it's my favorite rink in the US. Marvelous facility. But I can't say if the seating was designed to optimize a hockey experience or also with the Detroit Pistons in mind. Maybe it was designed by and for the Illitch's Red Wings alone. UBS arena was designed for the Islanders first.

Reactions: Isles Junkie

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015

I’ve said this plenty of times, but Barclays is an embarrassment for the amount of money it cost to build.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I've been to Little Caesar's for a Red Wings game and it's my favorite rink in the US. Marvelous facility. But I can't say if the seating was designed to optimize a hockey experience or also with the Detroit Pistons in mind. Maybe it was designed by and for the Illitch's Red Wings alone. UBS arena was designed for the Islanders first.

Detroit is on my list this year. How is the surrounding area?

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I’ve said this plenty of times, but Barclays is an embarrassment for the amount of money it cost to build.

I'd guess and say the suites are really great and that's where they put their money. But I'll likely never be in one. The rest of the arena was just very meh. And way too dark, even on the concourse. I'll still go if there's an event I care to see, but yeah, I feel like the Barclays is lackluster. I'm grateful though that its existance helped saved the NYI on LI in some capacity at least.

Reactions: joekono

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I'd guess and say the suites are really great and that's where they put their money. But I'll likely never be in one. The rest of the arena was just very meh. And way too dark, even on the concourse. I'll still go if there's an event I care to see, but yeah, I feel like the Barclays is lackluster. I'm grateful though that its existance helped saved the NYI on LI in some capacity at least.

Stop polluting this fabulous thread with Barclays talk. The arena was awful, unless you were in the lower bowl, and in certain sections.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Oof, a month and a half on the road! That means a lot of home games in the 2nd half, but still.

Not ideal, but a heavy home scheduled 2nd half should be a big plus for this team heading into the playoffs. Trotz could rest people and get some kids some games where he can control the matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad