UBS Arena: Lower the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For the first time, drove by our new arena today via the CIP. Trying to keep my eyes on the road didn't help me take it in as much as I would've liked, but just reaffirmed how much I love that this is happening.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
For the first time, drove by our new arena today via the CIP. Trying to keep my eyes on the road didn't help me take it in as much as I would've liked, but just reaffirmed how much I love that this is happening.
Still waiting for Kate Murray to swoop in and save the day and save the county from... NeW tHiNgSsSsSs

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Since the first ever event is going to be a concert can we start a petition to make this happen:

You know those concerts where they had a hologram of Elvis? I want a Wesley Willis one.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'd prefer a hologram of Billy Joel.
When Billy Joel kicks the can, he's going to get a multi-day casket viewing similar to Michael Jackson at NVMC with lines forming laps around the parking lot...and everyone not from LI will be perplexed...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
When Billy Joel kicks the can, he's going to get a multi-day casket viewing similar to Michael Jackson at NVMC with lines forming laps around the parking lot...and everyone not from LI will be perplexed...

So gross.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
The following article was awhile back, but NYS is allegedly trying to amend the Belmont Project.

State seeks modifications to Belmont project

'Posted January 5, 2021

By Melissa Koenig

Under proposals for the redevelopment project announced late last month by Empire State Development, the state agency that promotes development, the project’s “retail village” would be reduced in size, 25,000 square feet of it would be moved from a site north of Hempstead Turnpike to one south of the turnpike, and parking beneath the retail village would be replaced by a freestanding, six-story, above-ground parking structure...

Parking would be free for shoppers, and others who would need to pay would do so at designated pay stations. The parking structure would be accessible from the northbound Cross Island at Exit 26A, but those traveling southbound would have to use Exit 26B and head east on Hempstead Turnpike to Gate 14...

Construction on the facility may increase noise levels near Wellington Road and Hathaway Avenue in Elmont for more than 19 months. The site would be visible on Huntley Road and all other residential streets in Elmont along Hempstead Turnpike, but views would be obstructed by a proposed 10-foot-tall wall with 12-foot-tall trees and landscaping on the side facing the neighborhood.

Finally, state officials are proposing adding a hydrogen fuel cell station for the shuttle buses that would transport guests around the park and to and from the Elmont Long Island Rail Road Station, and are considering moving the eastbound platform of the station 125 feet west and extending a barrier blocking motorists’ views of Floral Park residents’ backyards by 55 feet, due to the location of existing utilities...'

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
$1B Hockey Arena Skates Ahead of Shutdowns

'January 19, 2021
Tom Stabile

A $1-billion home for the New York Islanders ice hockey team on Long Island is skating hard toward completion in time for the next National Hockey League season in December. The journey for the 19,000-seat UBS Arena, which broke ground in September 2019, was on a fast track when the project team faced a major obstacle—a nearly 50-day work stoppage from late March to late May last year under a COVID-19 pandemic lockdown...

The arena had already experienced a major change well before the pandemic—a move to Belmont Park in 2018, which occurred after project architects had already completed design development plans on an original site at Willetts Point in Queens next to the Citi Field baseball stadium. “We did a lot of massaging to incorporate the arena into a new site, with new surroundings,” says Kurt Amundsen, a senior principal at Populous and the arena’s project manager...'

The ownership team moved after winning a 2017 request for proposal process, sponsored by the Empire State Development agency, to develop a 43-acre state-owned parcel next to Belmont Park’s famous horse racing track...'

Reactions: doublechili

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
$1B Hockey Arena Skates Ahead of Shutdowns

'January 19, 2021
Tom Stabile

A $1-billion home for the New York Islanders ice hockey team on Long Island is skating hard toward completion in time for the next National Hockey League season in December. The journey for the 19,000-seat UBS Arena, which broke ground in September 2019, was on a fast track when the project team faced a major obstacle—a nearly 50-day work stoppage from late March to late May last year under a COVID-19 pandemic lockdown...

The arena had already experienced a major change well before the pandemic—a move to Belmont Park in 2018, which occurred after project architects had already completed design development plans on an original site at Willetts Point in Queens next to the Citi Field baseball stadium. “We did a lot of massaging to incorporate the arena into a new site, with new surroundings,” says Kurt Amundsen, a senior principal at Populous and the arena’s project manager...'

The ownership team moved after winning a 2017 request for proposal process, sponsored by the Empire State Development agency, to develop a 43-acre state-owned parcel next to Belmont Park’s famous horse racing track...'
Steve, I can't believe you didn't bold the part about the original plan to build the arena at Willetts Point!!

Reactions: Lame Lambert

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I posted the other day that the devil is in the details, and that's still true, but I was surprised when the guy said that they are only "just passing the halfway point".

Even halfway may be generous. Being in construction the inside takes a loooong time. 9 months flies by. They better get movin. We just wrapped up a new lobby at baruch college. Over a year to finish that.

Reactions: Uncle Duke

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Steve, I can't believe you didn't bold the part about the original plan to build the arena at Willetts Point!!

I was trying to emphasize how the Isles ultimately chose Belmont. I feel Sterling pushed Citi Field vicinity more than the Isles, which the latter entertained, but Belmont was the Isles' No.1 option all along.

Credit Charles Wang for Helping to Get New York Islanders to Belmont Park, Says Ledecky

'Published on
December 3, 2020
By
Christian Arnold

When the New York Islanders new arena opens at Belmont Park next fall, you can be sure there will be plenty of dignitaries on hand to celebrate the occasion. One who won’t be is former Islanders owner Charles Wang.
The late Islanders owner passed away on Oct. 21, 2018, after a battle with lung cancer...

It was Wang who had started looking at the idea of possibly building a new arena for the team at Belmont Park back in 2015, just as the Islanders were beginning their run at Barclays Center. Wang and NYRA board member Michael Dubb scouted the area in December of that year...'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad