UBS Arena: Lower the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Don't know about that...looks like it can be a Target in a location that has a specific building code to use brick design to fit the area.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So what are your thoughts on the facade of the race track, which UBS was designed to match?
I'm not going to be snarky in this post. I drove past UBS last week. I think the arched windows stand out nicely, more than the brickwork does. Those windows go with the arched windows of the Belmont grandstand. There are accents being installed around the windows and on the facade. I think it will be pleasing to the eye when it's completed.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
So what are your thoughts on the facade of the race track, which UBS was designed to match?
Yeah, it's the lone saving grace and also what MJF identified. Its unfortunate that so many stadiums, especially baseball, went in all in on the Camden Yards-brick theme w/o any relevance to the corresponding area. Here's a situation, when finished, it works, its more an issue of this theme is a bit overdone. Hoping for a bit more separators visually from the norm. To be continued...

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
and don't forget John Brophy and the LI Ducks.

The first professional hockey game I saw was in that barn and it was more of a "ice hockey game broke out during a fight" than the other way around.

Great memories!
Went to puck night sponsored by Syossett Sports. (The only real hockey shop at the time) Every fan was handed a puck upon entry. Guess what happened when the opposing team had a clear breakaway?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yeah, it's the lone saving grace and also what MJF identified. Its unfortunate that so many stadiums, especially baseball, went in all in on the Camden Yards-brick theme w/o any relevance to the corresponding area. Here's a situation, when finished, it works, its more an issue of this theme is a bit overdone. Hoping for a bit more separators visually from the norm. To be continued...
Honest answer. Did you want an all glass building like Prudential Center?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Honest answer. Did you want an all glass building like Prudential Center?
They have a set theme they have to work with due to the racetrack. So, you either need to compliment it or go completely different design. The latter would not work in the area. The former, preference more emphasis on adding some more modern features against the traditional frame. More complimentary vs. against it. Like I said, tbd, but as of now, it's kinda meh and looks rather ordinary.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Went to puck night sponsored by Syossett Sports. (The only real hockey shop at the time) Every fan was handed a puck upon entry. Guess what happened when the opposing team had a clear breakaway?
Haha!!

Didn't the Mets have "ball day" back in the mid-70's? With a similar fate.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They have a set theme they have to work with due to the racetrack. So, you either need to compliment it or go completely different design. The latter would not work in the area. The former, preference more emphasis on adding some more modern features against the traditional frame. More complimentary vs. against it. Like I said, tbd, but as of now, it's kinda meh and looks rather ordinary.
The current race track grandstand is supposed to be renovated after the arena is built. I don’t know what the plans are for it other than it going to be made smaller. It also wouldn’t surprise me if it was given a facade that matches UBS Arena’s facade. Also wouldn’t surprise me if this motif will be used for the shopping village across Hempstead Tpk. I’m sure none of the projects components are just being slapped together haphazardly. I expect symmetry. All a work in progress.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I agree, but if the inside is A+ I won't care.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It all harks back to the Madison Square Garden II (1879-1968).
Ebbets Field, Belmont all pay homage to that place and design.

Can't judge it by someone's low-angle shot from an iPhone.

It'll have a classic look with a modern feel - it will be majestic for sure.

Geez - look at the coliseum - oof.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Looking at the interior view, I am assuming that it just the camera angle and the fisheye lens they are using that makes it look this way, but where the stands will be at the N end of the rink looks to be not as deep as the S. That's not true though, is it? It's gonna be a symetrical bowl, right?
The upper area directly behind the "Defend 2x" side will not have seats. Its an area they call the Tailgate Bar. The arena is otherwise symmetrical.

New York Islanders Seat Selection

Reactions: Uncle Duke

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The current race track grandstand is supposed to be renovated after the arena is built. I don’t know what the plans are for it other than it going to be made smaller. It also wouldn’t surprise me if it was given a facade that matches UBS Arena’s facade. Also wouldn’t surprise me if this motif will be used for the shopping village across Hempstead Tpk. I’m sure none of the projects components are just being slapped together haphazardly. I expect symmetry. All a work in progress.
I'm cool with it. That pic is just 'not beautiful'.

Q: The original renderings had the hotel adjacent to the grandstand overlooking the track. Looking around, it now seems the hotel is on the Hempstead Park side SW corner w/no view of the track. Anyone have a link on the location change? and when?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I like it and I'm glad it doesn't look like a bloated spaceship that landed in a parking lot. The design is a time tested formula that works.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Nice. 4 seats in section 106 will cost a pretty penny. I have a 3 year old. If he grows into an Isles fan a few years from now I'll consider seasons.
Splitting the seats with my dad and we’ll probably sell 10-15 games, so it’s not that bad. We’d both rather go to a bunch of games than spend money on vacation/travel etc so it works out.

Reactions: periferal

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Splitting the seats with my dad and we’ll probably sell 10-15 games, so it’s not that bad. We’d both rather go to a bunch of games than spend money on vacation/travel etc so it works out.

Congrats on your full seasons! I've got 2 in the 200s, close to center ice. Thought about the 100s but didn't feel like paying the difference for now, maybe next season. Gonna be a blast though, look forward to seeing you all there.

Reactions: Lame Lambert

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

So when I come up for games, I can reach out to you?

Great, sounds good. Pleasure doing business with you.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
What is this place going to look like in 4 months - I mean could it be ready for games?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad