UBS Arena: Lower the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I've mentioned before, but in Philly there is not a ton of parking right around the arena so a lot of people have to hoof it a bit from the baseball and football stadium lots.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I've mentioned before, but in Philly there is not a ton of parking right around the arena so a lot of people have to hoof it a bit from the baseball and football stadium lots.
The subway station is right next to where the Spectrum was. But it's a 5 minute walk across the parking lots to Wells Fargo Arena.

Newark Penn Station is a 5-10 minute walk to Prudential Center. Nobody complains.

I think people are spoiled by Madison Square Garden sitting on top of Penn Station and 2 subway lines. It is a great thing never having to go outside in winter. Get off your train and go right upstairs.

I've parked near Hofstra a few times when I couldn't get to the Coliseum early. That was a similar 10 minute walk to the arena. I made do. People will do the same at Belmont.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
They don't need that pipeline. Even if solar, wind and hydro aren't quite ready to meet all demand just yet, they have a backup plan to supply energy to the boroughs.

Bubbling+Crude.jpg

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The subway station is right next to where the Spectrum was. But it's a 5 minute walk across the parking lots to Wells Fargo Arena.

Newark Penn Station is a 5-10 minute walk to Prudential Center. Nobody complains.

I think people are spoiled by Madison Square Garden sitting on top of Penn Station and 2 subway lines. It is a great thing never having to go outside in winter. Get off your train and go right upstairs.

I've parked near Hofstra a few times when I couldn't get to the Coliseum early. That was a similar 10 minute walk to the arena. I made do. People will do the same at Belmont.
Sadly, you know this fanbase is going to complain and compare everything to how their Coliseum experience was - it would be nice that fans were happy and proud of the new digs vs. harping on 'I used to be able to get out of the parking lot in 5 minutes on a Tuesday night' as an example - missing the entire Isles were in 28th place, upteenth rebuild, 8k fans, and peeing in a mobile home in the parking lot.

The Coliseum experience is/was convenient, but unrealistic in the modern sports era.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Just have the pretzel stands staggered on the way from the lot to the arena.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They don't need that pipeline. Even if solar, wind and hydro aren't quite ready to meet all demand just yet, they have a backup plan to supply energy to the boroughs.

Bubbling+Crude.jpg
They can always find a way to harness the methane the horses create.

Reactions: doublechili

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
How Belmont Park Became The Site For The Islanders’ New Home - NY Sports Day

'WRITTEN BY:PETER SCHWARTZ
PUBLISHED DEC 3, 2020
UPDATED DEC 3, 2020

When the 2021-22 National Hockey League season gets underway, the Islanders will be playing at their new home UBS Arena at Belmont Park...

When the referendum did not pass, it left former owner Charles Wang with a decision to make about the future of the franchise. So as the Islanders lease at the Coliseum was set to expire at the end of the 2014-15 season, Wang struck a deal to move the Islanders to Barclays Center in Brooklyn for the 2015-16 campaign...

there is a story about how Wang, who passed away in October of 2018, was told about some land next to Belmont Park that could be a good landing spot for the Islanders. So, on a snowy day on Long Island, Wang took a look at the site and it’s been said that he was very impressed. He was so impressed with the site that when he sold a majority interest in the Islanders to Scott Malkin and Jon Ledecky, he told the new owners that they should take a look as well.

Another person who had seen the site many times while driving along the Nassau/Queens border on the Cross Island Parkway is New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo...

“Thank you to Governor Cuomo because without his vision of the need for the Islanders who had needed a new home for over two decades…his vision of going to Belmont and about recognizing Belmont as a site that could work, we wouldn’t be there right now,” said Islanders Co-Owner Jon Ledecky during a Sports Business Journal virtual event on Wednesday.

“And secondly, a salute to Charles Wang, the former owner of the Islanders who was our partner. He was the one who suggested having a meeting with NYRA (New York Racing Association) to go and see the site and that really stimulated all of us about what the possibilities would be at that campus.”...

UBS Arena is a partnership between the Islanders, Oak View Group, and Sterling Project Development, an affiliate of Sterling Equities, the former owners of the New York Mets. When the Islanders and Oak View Group formally began to search for a site to build the new arena, they called on SPD to help with the search. As it turns out, the search came down to the Belmont Park site and the parking lot next to Citi Field, the home of the Mets...

“When we were first talking to Scott, what Jon and Tim (Leiweke, CEO of Oak View Group), Scott asked us to do was look at the sites that might be available in the New York area,” said former Mets owner Jeff Wilpon during the Sports Business Journal event...

“Jon is right that Governor Cuomo played a huge part in getting this done along with everybody at EDC and the state. We had to really look at it from is it best to put them in our parking lot or might it be best to put them at Belmont? When we looked at it and put everything on the table, our job at SPD with Richard Browne and myself, is to represent the client and we told them the best thing to move forward with would be to do this at Belmont.

And the rest, as they say, was history and the Islanders bid to build the new arena was formally approved by the Empire Development Corporation in August of 2019 which paved the way for the official groundbreaking a month later...'

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
How Belmont Park Became The Site For The Islanders’ New Home - NY Sports Day

'WRITTEN BY:PETER SCHWARTZ
PUBLISHED DEC 3, 2020
UPDATED DEC 3, 2020

When the 2021-22 National Hockey League season gets underway, the Islanders will be playing at their new home UBS Arena at Belmont Park...

When the referendum did not pass, it left former owner Charles Wang with a decision to make about the future of the franchise. So as the Islanders lease at the Coliseum was set to expire at the end of the 2014-15 season, Wang struck a deal to move the Islanders to Barclays Center in Brooklyn for the 2015-16 campaign...

there is a story about how Wang, who passed away in October of 2018, was told about some land next to Belmont Park that could be a good landing spot for the Islanders. So, on a snowy day on Long Island, Wang took a look at the site and it’s been said that he was very impressed. He was so impressed with the site that when he sold a majority interest in the Islanders to Scott Malkin and Jon Ledecky, he told the new owners that they should take a look as well.

Another person who had seen the site many times while driving along the Nassau/Queens border on the Cross Island Parkway is New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo...

“Thank you to Governor Cuomo because without his vision of the need for the Islanders who had needed a new home for over two decades…his vision of going to Belmont and about recognizing Belmont as a site that could work, we wouldn’t be there right now,” said Islanders Co-Owner Jon Ledecky during a Sports Business Journal virtual event on Wednesday.

“And secondly, a salute to Charles Wang, the former owner of the Islanders who was our partner. He was the one who suggested having a meeting with NYRA (New York Racing Association) to go and see the site and that really stimulated all of us about what the possibilities would be at that campus.”...

UBS Arena is a partnership between the Islanders, Oak View Group, and Sterling Project Development, an affiliate of Sterling Equities, the former owners of the New York Mets. When the Islanders and Oak View Group formally began to search for a site to build the new arena, they called on SPD to help with the search. As it turns out, the search came down to the Belmont Park site and the parking lot next to Citi Field, the home of the Mets...

“When we were first talking to Scott, what Jon and Tim (Leiweke, CEO of Oak View Group), Scott asked us to do was look at the sites that might be available in the New York area,” said former Mets owner Jeff Wilpon during the Sports Business Journal event...

“Jon is right that Governor Cuomo played a huge part in getting this done along with everybody at EDC and the state. We had to really look at it from is it best to put them in our parking lot or might it be best to put them at Belmont? When we looked at it and put everything on the table, our job at SPD with Richard Browne and myself, is to represent the client and we told them the best thing to move forward with would be to do this at Belmont.

And the rest, as they say, was history and the Islanders bid to build the new arena was formally approved by the Empire Development Corporation in August of 2019 which paved the way for the official groundbreaking a month later...'
Wang was pitched the Belmont Park site in the summer of 2015 by Michael Dubb. Dubb at that time was a home builder on the Island, thoroughbred owner, and on the NYRA board of directors. For years NYRA had been looking for ways to turn the vacant land on the Belmont property into a revenue generator.

That’s a BIG detail for the author of this piece to leave out.

Reactions: leeroggy

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Sadly, you know this fanbase is going to complain and compare everything to how their Coliseum experience was - it would be nice that fans were happy and proud of the new digs vs. harping on 'I used to be able to get out of the parking lot in 5 minutes on a Tuesday night' as an example - missing the entire Isles were in 28th place, upteenth rebuild, 8k fans, and peeing in a mobile home in the parking lot.

The Coliseum experience is/was convenient, but unrealistic in the modern sports era.

Meh - I don't think that many people are going to complain. They not only know how horrible this franchise has been run for 20+ years and is now in god hands, but we also just had the Barclays debacle where there was zero parking.

We're getting a 1st class arena which could not have happened without 1st class owners who brought us a 1st class GM and coach.

In the past there was a reason to complain. Now you're just going to look stupid doing so.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Meh - I don't think that many people are going to complain. They not only know how horrible this franchise has been run for 20+ years and is now in god hands, but we also just had the Barclays debacle where there was zero parking.

We're getting a 1st class arena which could not have happened without 1st class owners who brought us a 1st class GM and coach.

In the past there was a reason to complain. Now you're just going to look stupid doing so.

But will we get 1st Class Ice Girls???

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

This "long walk" beats a cab from hempstead or mineola.

Reactions: Finnislander

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Ehhh...you should see it now

Who's talking about now? I work in the city and have been there about 6 times since March. I'm talking about from late 90's until about a year ago. Those are what shaped my perception (and it will come back).

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Wang was pitched the Belmont Park site in the summer of 2015 by Michael Dubb. Dubb at that time was a home builder on the Island, thoroughbred owner, and on the NYRA board of directors. For years NYRA had been looking for ways to turn the vacant land on the Belmont property into a revenue generator.

That’s a BIG detail for the author of this piece to leave out.

I am not sure if any media publication has ever reported about Dubb's suggestion to Wang back in the Summer of 2015. From what I remember, Belmont Park was held up in another RFP process where the Isles didn't bid before ESD's deadline in the fall of 2012. But it seems clear Wang started to take a serious look at Belmont Park no later than early 2016.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Was on STH call with Lou/Leiweke /Irving Azoff says UBS will be open on time with 100% capacity. ,

- Lou confirmed Jan 13 start date 8 games each against a tough division (mentioned Rangers, Devils and Bruins by name)
- Lou says he convinced JB to remain with the team going forward. Will see where that goes but believe he has a future in hockey after his playing days. He is everything you could have wanted in a hockey player and did it right.
- Lou mentioned Toews trade but will give Dobson opportunity one of the brightest prospects he has seen. Will eventually QB PP.
- Leiweke, after all of the "crap" the Isles fans have put up with over the years . This arena will be theirs.. "HOME"
- They have mentioned November start a few times for start of next season. Lou just said October or November
- Lou there would be no NY Islander Hockey without Malkin/Ledecky/Leiweke etc.
- Lou says no doubt this will be the best arena in hockey for fans. Modern building at highest level with the feeling of the coliseum bowl, fans on top of the ice. Maximized seats in lower bowl.
- Lous: Facility will be player draw. Arena first thing player will notice (including practice facility) before they know the culture of a team. Opposing players will view it as a positive. so arena can be a draw. Visitors room will be nice as well.
- Players hear the noise in the building , it is important to them. UBS will have the NVMC crowd feel and sound.
- Lou says until he became GM he knew nothing about the Island other than the Marriott and NVMC . Once he saw neighborhoods was very impressed and now understand why players stay after their playing days which he views as another draw
- Lou : Passion of the fans is incredible. Brought up the game Tavares came back. Said he has never seen anything like it with the noise and life of the building. Players hear the sound , it will be recreated in the new building wish we had the crowds for this past years playoffs.
- Leiweke giving kudos to Malkin, said he has never said no on construction, has even had to hold him back. Hired the best management team, kept core of team together , $1.1B privately on new arena. Only owner not getting direct revenue from his own arena now. Lou reiterated great ownership of Malkin/Ledecky
- Hockey dressing rooms will be separate from acts so cut down on wear and tear etc.
- Leiweke 80% better air circulation than coliseum with 4 big units , 1 in each corner, state of the art air filters
- May have as many as 90 concert dates in year 1, advantage over other arenas to draw better acts. They built a 4 season's suite for bands so won't use locker room, designed to make it easy/comfortable for bands and their crews. .. more P1 seats than any other arena (I don't know what P1 means but they later said more seats in lower bowl with good view of stage).
- Acts are already staring to jockey to come in. Azoff mentioned the Eagles, Bon Jovi, Lizzo, Harry Styles . something for everyone but no circuses etc.. - Live Nation designed the parts designed for acts, intent was to top the best arenas.
-Will compliment MSG , to have acts play both when in area. LOL Irving called Brooklyn a "POS" so while they will compliment MSG bad news for Barclay's...
- Built for concerts as well as hockey so sound system will be great (not like NVMC)
- Food: great variety of food and beers. Not necessarily chains/locals if they can't reproduce same quality at arena Also grab and go.
- $140M invested into campus parking lot, lights, sidewalks and surrounding area
- $100M will be paid to NY State for MTA
- Leiweke has timed the walk from train to arena: 9 Minute and 54 second walk from platform to arena. covered walkway with sound feed piped in.
- More restroom capacity per person than any arena on east coast.. lol
- Leiweke also developing Kraken arena, so keeps saying best arena on east coast. Will say both will be great but he has soft spot for Islander fans for what they have been through and their passion. Kraken get this day

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Will compliment MSG , to have acts play both when in area. LOL Irving called Brooklyn a "POS" so while they will compliment MSG bad news for Barclay's
Irving is Irving Azoff or Kyrie Irving? If it’s Kyrie then he is the first basketball player I heard knock the arena. I know the Islanders players didn’t love the locker room or the players families facilities.

Also, who is Lizzo? Lol.

Last edited:

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Was on STH call with Lou/Leiweke /Irvin Azoff says UBS will be open on time with 100% capacity. ,

- Lou confirmed Jan 13 start date 8 games each against a tough division (mentioned Rangers, Devils and Bruins by name)
- Lou says he convinced JB to remain with the team going forward. Will see where that goes but believe he has a future in hockey after his playing days. He is everything you could have wanted in a hockey player and did it right.
- Lou mentioned Toews trade but will give Dobson opportunity one of the brightest prospects he has seen. Will eventually QB PP.
- Leiweke, after all of the "crap" the Isles fans have put up with over the years . This arena will be theirs.. "HOME"
- They have mentioned November start a few times for start of next season. Lou just said October or November
- Lou there would be no NY Islander Hockey without Malkin/Ledecky/Leiweke etc.
- Lou says no doubt this will be the best arena in hockey for fans. Modern building at highest level with the feeling of the coliseum bowl, fans on top of the ice. Maximized seats in lower bowl.
- Lous: Facility will be player draw. Arena first thing player will notice (including practice facility) before they know the culture of a team. Opposing players will view it as a positive. so arena can be a draw. Visitors room will be nice as well.
- Players hear the noise in the building , it is important to them. UBS will have the NVMC crowd feel and sound.
- Lou says until he became GM he knew nothing about the Island other than the Marriott and NVMC . Once he saw neighborhoods was very impressed and now understand why players stay after their playing days which he views as another draw
- Lou : Passion of the fans is incredible. Brought up the game Tavares came back. Said he has never seen anything like it with the noise and life of the building. Players hear the sound , it will be recreated in the new building wish we had the crowds for this past years playoffs.
- Leiweke giving kudos to Malkin, said he has never said no on construction, has even had to hold him back. Hired the best management team, kept core of team together , $1.1B privately on new arena. Only owner not getting direct revenue from his own arena now. Lou reiterated great ownership of Malkin/Ledecky
- Hockey dressing rooms will be separate from acts so cut down on wear and tear etc.
- Leiweke 80% better air circulation than coliseum with 4 big units , 1 in each corner, state of the art air filters
- May have as many as 90 concert dates in year 1, advantage over other arenas to draw better acts. They built a 4 season's suite for bands so won't use locker room, designed to make it easy/comfortable for bands and their crews. .. more P1 seats than any other arena (I don't know what P1 means but they later said more seats in lower bowl with good view of stage).
- Acts are already staring to jockey to come in. Azoff mentioned the Eagles, Bon Jovi, Lizzo, Harry Styles . something for everyone but no circuses etc.. - Live Nation designed the parts designed for acts, intent was to top the best arenas.
-Will compliment MSG , to have acts play both when in area. LOL Irving called Brooklyn a "POS" so while they will compliment MSG bad news for Barclay's...
- Built for concerts as well as hockey so sound system will be great (not like NVMC)
- Food: great variety of food and beers. Not necessarily chains/locals if they can't reproduce same quality at arena Also grab and go.
- $140M invested into campus parking lot, lights, sidewalks and surrounding area
- $100M will be paid to NY State for MTA
- Leiweke has timed the walk from train to arena: 9 Minute and 54 second walk from platform to arena. covered walkway with sound feed piped in.
- More restroom capacity per person than any arena on east coast.. lol
- Leiweke also developing Kraken arena, so keeps saying best arena on east coast. Will say both will be great but he has soft spot for Islander fans for what they have been through and their passion. Kraken get this day
That was a really awesome post - thanks! Great info about the Arena. And you have a scoop re: the coming season.

I kinda had a feeling after what JB posted about working for Lou that he might be staying on.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Irving is Irving Azoff or Kyrie Irving? If it’s Kyrie then he is the first basketball player I heard knock the arena. I know the Islanders players didn’t love the locker room or the players families facilities.

Also, who is Lizzo? Lol.

lol shoot the messenger.

Irving Azoff, although maybe Kyrie was on the call as well? I dont think Azoff was mentioned in the invite and wasn't introduced at the beginning.. He loudly interrupted the others about 20 minutes in so I thought he was just another STH at first that was able to turn on his mic..

Lizzo is someone who I had never heard of before she was on SNL a few months back. I am sure she has a loyal fanbase but I won't be at her concert. I am stuck in time, unless they were making music pre 1980, there are very few bands I would pay to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad