GDT: U18s - CAN/USA @ 7:30AM, RUS/SWE @ 11:30 AM

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I said Getzlaf is a good comparable. Where did I say he's the next Getzlaf? I didn't give any guarantee. I like Caufield and, honestly, I could care less about his height or weight because the game is changing. I've never had issues with size. Yes Caufield does have a weakness, but something that can be corrected over time and hardwork, which is his skating. Everyone is getting on the hype train after two games at the U18 tournament. Let's wait how the rest of the tournament goes. But, if we get him at 8, I will go bonkers with happiness

In all honesty, getting any of Dach, Caufield, Krebs or Zegras at 8 would put me over the top

Caufield is an excellent skater, he just lacks elite top end speed likely because he has a short stride.

Also in his case and the way he plays the game his small stature is more often a benefit. It allows him to slip into scoring areas undetected and also when watching him you'll notice he doesn't need a lot of room to operate. Many defenders don't respect that aspect and often get burned leaving him too much room because they believe he wouldn't be able to make a play. Eventually once NHL teams get the book on him they will tighten those gaps on him but the thing is that if you have to over compensate to defend this guy it means you are being pulled slightly out of position and leaving more space in other areas of the ice.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Major major thing you are missing....this tourney is played on international ice. The skilled, soft and small guys will flourish here. May not so much on North American ice. Caufield is smaller than Yamo and Yamo cant handle the grind so far.

Yamo isn't even close to the goal scorer Caufield is, where he will lack in size he will make up for it with pucks in net.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Major major thing you are missing....this tourney is played on international ice. The skilled, soft and small guys will flourish here. May not so much on North American ice. Caufield is smaller than Yamo and Yamo cant handle the grind so far.
Nobody is missing that. Caufield has the USNTDP goal scoring record. He's been doing this all year long. He's the best goal scorer in the draft, end of story.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Not crazy about drafting a small player after the failures of the past but who knows with Caufield?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Blake Wheeler says Hi :D
Since 2004 how many 1st rounders have held out for 4 years?

Kevin Hayes comes to mind in 2010.

Then you have probably 50+ since 2004 drafted out of the U.S. program who have signed with the team that drafted them. Recently there have been numerous after the 1st season.. Connor, Trouba, Werenski, Roslovic, White (2 seasons), Keller, McAvoy.. the list goes on. Some of these guys are drafted out of college so they spent 1 season after draft year which is 2 years of college. But the trend is spending 1 season after draft before signing.

It shouldn't be considered as a reason to pass on a player.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Does anyone know if the games are being streamed online anywhere? I know TSN is showing mostly Canada and US games.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Then you have probably 50+ since 2004 drafted out of the U.S. program who have signed with the team that drafted them. Recently there have been numerous after the 1st season.. Connor, Trouba, Werenski, Roslovic, White (2 seasons), Keller, McAvoy.. the list goes on. Some of these guys are drafted out of college so they spent 1 season after draft year which is 2 years of college. But the trend is spending 1 season after draft before signing.

This is why they have pretty extensive interviews before the draft. You have to know where their heads are at, families, advisors, etc.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta

Good sir you said NO top 10 pick would do that, I just mentioned one that did lol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Good sir you said NO top 10 pick would do that, I just mentioned one that did lol

To be fair, Wheeler is a bit of special case. He was drafted out of high school and didn't accelerate his schooling, so he had to play a year in the USHL before even going to college.

Anyone going that early in this draft is immediately going to a top NCAA program and will likely be a top line player there.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Wow, US is STACKED today. Zegras is coming back from injury and Brink was called up to play. Lines are:

Zegras - Hughes - Caufield
Boldy - Turcotte - Brink

Expect another high-scoring game.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Hughes makes it 2-1 on the powerplay from York and Zegras.

Man Zegras has such great vision. Easily the best passer I've seen.

Reactions: KYams17

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Wow, US is STACKED today. Zegras is coming back from injury and Brink was called up to play. Lines are:

Zegras - Hughes - Caufield
Boldy - Turcotte - Brink

Expect another high-scoring game.

It's just such a treat to watch all of these guys together. They all carry their weight, no passengers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad