GDT: U18s - CAN/USA @ 7:30AM, RUS/SWE @ 11:30 AM

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
14 goals, 31 points in 14 games. Alexander Ovechkin.

Those are Ovie's points over two tourneys. Pretty crazy too since he didn't even play in his 18 year old season.

For single tourney records, it's 14 goals for Ovechkin and 21 points for Kucherov.

Eliteprospects has a nice little U18 hub right now.

Elite Prospects - U18 World Championship (WJC-18)

A little slow on updates, but has some cool info.

Reactions: Joey Moss

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly the more I watch Caufield the more I think we would be crazy not to pick him at 8 and would really regret it. I think he will be in the top 10 in the rankings come draft day. Yes, he's really small, but man he sure doesn't play like it. He does everything at an elite level. Skating, shooting, hockey IQ, playmaking, hands, you name it.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
All this Cole Caufield hype has me feeling like I should mention something about small sample sizes...

Wait, didn't Caufield also set a new record for goals scored in the USNDTP? :sarcasm:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
All this Cole Caufield hype has me feeling like I should mention something about small sample sizes...

Wait, didn't Caufield also set a new record for goals scored in the USNDTP? :sarcasm:
This is the RHS for McDavid that we have been dreaming of. There was the hope that Puljujarvi could be it, but if we are being serious here Caufield's shot is just incredible. He has a quick release, pin point accuracy, the puck just jumps off his stick and man can he one-time it. He has the speed to keep up with McDavid. The willingness to drive the net. The hands to finish on breakaways and in tight.

I'm all aboard the Caufield hype train.

ABCisfinewithme

Apr 4, 2017
We need both Krebs and Caufield keep the 8th oa and package both the second and something like poolparty to move up

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm not saying they do, but that was the sentiment in their draft year

Albeit, some fans round here for sure wanted Matt Tkachuk cuz he goes to the net, but that's all he was credited for. Brady was a huge dropper in his draft leading up to it
Scheiffle, even at the worlds w/ McD, fans were screaming to get him off McD's line as he wasn't smart enough to be worthy

Point is every year people blast players for having low IQ, and in the end...they don't. Cozens will definately be one of those players that proves ppl wrong imo

Also..Caufield??? Please o please DO NOT let the Oil reach w/ the 8th pick on a what is going to be the smallest player in the NHL. Kid has skill no doubt, but there is alot of Debrincat envy/regret going on here making him a favorite suddenly

I'd consider trading down for him

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Damn Caufield, ridiculous. Honestly, him, Boldy or Krebs would be outstanding picks.
I prefer Krebs simply because I have a bias towards consistent players who excel at all ends of the ice but it's hard to ignore Caufield's goal scoring. Ryan O'Rielly or DeBrincat basically.

This is honestly the most fascinating draft that I can remember.

I don't remember a time where all of us liked so many of the picks around our drafting number

Reactions: B33K33PING

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Man oh man. I said to a friend that I really wanted Caulfield before this tournament just not at #8. Starting to change my mind. Krebs Caulfield or Turcotte at 8 would make me so happy.

Reactions: nally

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Man oh man. I said to a friend that I really wanted Caulfield before this tournament just not at #8. Starting to change my mind. Krebs Caulfield or Turcotte at 8 would make me so happy.
Count me in as someone who would be happy with any of the USNTDP guys in our range or Krebs. Kind of soured on Cozens so I hope he goes early enough that we can't pick him. Still a fan of Dach's, but I just have this weird feeling that he might end up one of those guys who has the physical tools but never fully becomes the player that people hope he will kinda like Zacha.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I agree taking Caufield would be great. He's been great so far. But let's not hype him up too much just yet. Wait to see how the rest of the tournament goes. I still think Dach, Krebs and Zegras would be good picks as well. Can't just judge a player off of one tournament. Example. Kaliyev is most likely a first round pick, but he didn't get picked for the Tournament

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Count me in as someone who would be happy with any of the USNTDP guys in our range or Krebs. Kind of soured on Cozens so I hope he goes early enough that we can't pick him. Still a fan of Dach's, but I just have this weird feeling that he might end up one of those guys who has the physical tools but never fully becomes the player that people hope he will kinda like Zacha.
Then you haven't really watched him play. His hockey sense and skill really good and Zacha is no comparable for him. Getzlaf is more of a better one

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Then you haven't really watched him play. His hockey sense and skill really good and Zacha is no comparable for him. Getzlaf is more of a better one
I have watched him a decent amount, and I don't disagree his hockey sense is higher than what Zacha showed, but Zacha had very similar physical tools. I just have a bad feeling that both he and Cozens might disappoint to what some people are expecting from them. There's no question the potential is there, and it's hard to predict the growth of any prospect which is why I hate when people try to compare him to Getzlaf. Getzlaf is not the norm in terms of the development he saw after being drafted, same goes for Draisaitl. There's no guarantee that drafting a similar player to those guys in junior will result in the same end product, and more often than not it doesn't. I'd be more than fine with us taking Dach if he fell to 8th, but I don't think he will given the love for big skilled centres.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I have watched him a decent amount, and I don't disagree his hockey sense is higher than what Zacha showed, but Zacha had very similar physical tools. I just have a bad feeling that both he and Cozens might disappoint to what some people are expecting from them. There's no question the potential is there, and it's hard to predict the growth of any prospect which is why I hate when people try to compare him to Getzlaf. Getzlaf is not the norm in terms of the development he saw after being drafted, same goes for Draisaitl. There's no guarantee that drafting a similar player to those guys in junior will result in the same end product, and more often than not it doesn't. I'd be more than fine with us taking Dach if he fell to 8th, but I don't think he will given the love for big skilled centres.

We can say the same thing for any prospect in the draft. Dach, Cozens, Zegras etc might disappoint or they may not. We can say the same for Caufield as well. He's having an insane tournament but that doesn't mean he will do the same in the NHL, or if he will even be in the NHL. Same goes for every player in every draft.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
and I agree. Taking him at 8 could be a steal

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We can say the same thing for any prospect in the draft. Dach, Cozens, Zegras etc might disappoint or they may not. We can say the same for Caufield as well. He's having an insane tournament but that doesn't mean he will do the same in the NHL, or if he will even be in the NHL. Same goes for every player in every draft.
I'm well aware of that, but your reply to me came off as if it is a guarantee that Dach will become the next Getzlaf. Getzlaf developed far more than 99.9% of prospects will after their draft so to expect that as the norm or even as a likely scenario is wishful thinking. Like I said, I like Dach and his potential I just don't know if he reaches it. Caufield might not either, but I have less concern about his faults (his size) when every other aspect of his game is translatable as an NHL sniper. A lot of people have trouble getting over the height factor, but if there's ever a time to not be concerned about size then Caufield is a perfect example. There isn't any weaknesses in Caufield's game besides his height.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm well aware of that, but your reply to me came off as if it is a guarantee that Dach will become the next Getzlaf. Getzlaf developed far more than 99.9% of prospects will after their draft so to expect that as the norm or even as a likely scenario is wishful thinking. Like I said, I like Dach and his potential I just don't know if he reaches it. Caufield might not either, but I have less concern about his faults (his size) when every other aspect of his game is translatable as an NHL sniper. A lot of people have trouble getting over the height factor, but if there's ever a time to not be concerned about size then Caufield is a perfect example. There isn't any weaknesses in Caufield's game besides his height.
I said Getzlaf is a good comparable. Where did I say he's the next Getzlaf? I didn't give any guarantee. I like Caufield and, honestly, I could care less about his height or weight because the game is changing. I've never had issues with size. Yes Caufield does have a weakness, but something that can be corrected over time and hardwork, which is his skating. Everyone is getting on the hype train after two games at the U18 tournament. Let's wait how the rest of the tournament goes. But, if we get him at 8, I will go bonkers with happiness

In all honesty, getting any of Dach, Caufield, Krebs or Zegras at 8 would put me over the top

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I said Getzlaf is a good comparable. Where did I say he's the next Getzlaf? I didn't give any guarantee. I like Caufield and, honestly, I could care less about his height or weight because the game is changing. I've never had issues with size. Yes Caufield does have a weakness, but something that can be corrected over time and hardwork, which is his skating. Everyone is getting on the hype train after two games at the U18 tournament. Let's wait how the rest of the tournament goes. But, if we get him at 8, I will go bonkers with happiness

In all honesty, getting any of Dach, Caufield, Krebs or Zegras at 8 would put me over the top
I didn't say you said that, I said it sounded like you were coming off that way with how you worded it. Unless of course your were simply implying that the comparison was stylistically which wasn't what I was talking about in the first place.

What weakness do you see in Caufield's skating? I have a hard time taking that comment seriously. He's miles ahead of where Debrincat was at the same age in terms of skating.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I didn't say you said that, I said it sounded like you were coming off that way with how you worded it. Unless of course your were simply implying that the comparison was stylistically which wasn't what I was talking about in the first place.

What weakness do you see in Caufield's skating? I have a hard time taking that comment seriously. He's miles ahead of where Debrincat was at the same age in terms of skating.
I meant stylistically. I just think he could be a bit faster, maybe a bit better edge work. But hey it's not like its such a bad weakness.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I meant stylistically. I just think he could be a bit faster, maybe a bit better edge work. But hey it's not like its such a bad weakness.
To each their own I guess. I think he's fast, explosive, and shifty. To me his skating is a strength and nothing I would ever be concerned about.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
To each their own I guess. I think he's fast, explosive, and shifty. To me his skating is a strength and nothing I would ever be concerned about.
Maybe its just me. I just think he could be a bit faster. I keep forgetting these players in the draft are 18 lol.

One other thing is, Caufield is American and he's going to University. What if he doesn't sign and leaves?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Maybe its just me. I just think he could be a bit faster. I keep forgetting these players in the draft are 18 lol.

One other thing is, Caufield is American and he's going to University. What if he doesn't sign and leaves?
I think you are fine with him playing a year or 2 if necessary in college. No top 10 pick is going to wait 4 years to sign an NHL contract and forgo millions of dollars.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Major major thing you are missing....this tourney is played on international ice. The skilled, soft and small guys will flourish here. May not so much on North American ice. Caufield is smaller than Yamo and Yamo cant handle the grind so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad