GDT: U18s - CAN/USA @ 7:30AM, RUS/SWE @ 11:30 AM

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Because he’s the big man on campus. Reminds me of Tavares and Eberle in the WJC. No emphasis on setting up an excellent shooter in scoring position, just letting the big man go for it.

Honestly the gripe I have with Hughes is this. He really doesn’t seem to utilize his teammates as well as he should.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Honestly the gripe I have with Hughes is this. He really doesn’t seem to utilize his teammates as well as he should.
What? The guy basically made Caufield what he is. Caufield is good in his own right but without Jack Hughes he’s dosen’t go top15

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
No denying Hughes is a good play maker. But I’ve seen him make questionable decisions when better options are available.
You could say the same thing about McDavid, there such similar players, and 90% of the time they are the best option, I’d rather have the puck on Hughes stick at the end of the game than forcing a pass over to Caufield who had allready missed that same shot 3 times this game.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
You could say the same thing about McDavid, there such similar players, and 90% of the time they are the best option, I’d rather have the puck on Hughes stick at the end of the game than forcing a pass over to Caufield who had allready missed that same shot 3 times this game.

Russians were leaving him open and focusing on Hughes. Who had all the goals in this game? Let him take a shot.

Also, while we’re criticizing the Americans, would anyone else here have pulled the goalie In the final 45 seconds with offensive zone face off to get all of USA elite players on the ice for a 5 on 3? Given the Russian goaltending, shootout was risky.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

Stylistically sure, but I don’t think Hughes is as close to the talent that mcdavid is. But I see your point.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Caufield again, ties Ovechkin’s record 2-1 USA.

Very curious to see where Caufield goes. There's usually a team in the top 7 or 8 that reaches a little for a player that's had a strong finish to the year. Last year it was Kotkaniemi, this year it could very easily be Caufield.

I don't see him going at 4, but having him slot in on the Avs second line could give them some dynamite scoring depth if he hits his potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad