GDT: U18 WCH's in Örnsköldsvik and Umeå 18 April-28 April 2019

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
So it could be possible Kakko isn't 2nd or even 3rd overall pick necessarily this summer if / when Turcotte and Boldy keep this scoring and domination mood up rest of the tournament.

No. Kakko is Kakko. He is better than those players. It would be nice if the Rangers acquired. another top ten pick to select Turcotte or Boldy or Zegras. Kakko plus one of those players.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Tell me why it's not possible Kakko drops out in TOP3 this summer if Turcotte and Boldy keep this domination mood up rest of the U18 WJC tournament. Because i don't see any reason why that can't happen.

History has showed that surprises are possible in 1st draft round.
No-one didn't expect Puljujärvi drops 4th overall in 2016 and Zadina drops 6th overall last year.

Those are examples on that everything can happen in draft night.
If you look past drafts you can see that good or very good performances in U18 WJC's really can boost players draft stock. Heiskanen and Kotkaniemi went both 3rd overall in their draft years ( 2017 and 2018) and U18 WJC's was that last boost for them so everything is possible.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
So it could be possible Kakko isn't 2nd or even 3rd overall pick necessarily this summer if / when Turcotte and Boldy keep this scoring and domination mood up rest of the tournament.

Hughes goes #1 & Kakko goes #2.

You can deposit that in your bank & draw off it today.

The only drama remaining is who Chicago takes at #3.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Tell me why it's not possible Kakko drops out in TOP3 this summer if Turcotte and Boldy keep this domination mood up rest of the U18 WJC tournament. Because i don't see any reason why that can't happen.

No-one didn't expect Puljujärvi drops 4th overall in 2016 and Zadina drops 6th overall last year.

If you look past drafts you can see that good or very good performances in U18 WJC's really can boost players draft stock. Heiskanen and Kotkaniemi went both 3rd overall in their draft years ( 2017 and 2018) and U18 WJC's was that last boost for them so everything is possible.
Because they're dominating kids, not adults in a top league

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Toni Rajala scored 19 points and went #101. Teams understand that this USNTDP team is very strong. Additionally, it's tough to know just how Kakko would have performed in the tournament if he's not playing.

A player can only do so much at u-18s. Remember Kristian Vesalainen scored almost 2 PPG and went late in the 1st.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016

Because Kakko has shown domination against men, not just in a U18 tournement.

edit. was beat to the punch.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Because he already dominated this tournament last year (as an underager) and was dominant against men this year over a much larger sample size with out playing on basically the equivalent of an all star team.

Kotkaniemi went 3 after a great u18 (he was trending upward anyway, but this solidified things), where he was outplayed by Kakko.

He isn't dropping because a few kids have a strong U18. He'd be dominating this tournament too if he werent busy prepping for the worlds.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Because he already dominated this tournament last year (as an underager) and was dominant against men this year over a much larger sample size with out playing on basically the equivalent of an all star team.

Kotkaniemi went 3 after a great u18 (he was trending upward anyway, but this solidified things), where he was outplayed by Kakko.

He isn't dropping because a few kids have a strong U18. He'd be dominating this tournament too if he werent busy prepping for the worlds.

Yeah that's true.
Kakko is one hell of prospect i don't question that and he'll be helluva player in NHL when he matures.
But somehow i have a feeling some surprises will happen in 1st draft round this coming June.

Of course this all is just speculation but you never know what happen.
However Rangers will get awesome prospect in Kakko and if they could add Turcotte or Boldy in that mix it'll be great.
But is there any other lottery team who's ready to trade their TOP10 pick for Rangers.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

Beating up on 17 18 year old slovakians is cool and all but pretty sure Kakko snacks on 17 18 year old Slovakian kids between meals. There’s no comparison. He’s head and shoulders ahead of every guy in this draft other than Hughes. It’s close between them too very different players.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Beating up on 17 18 year old slovakians is cool and all but pretty sure Kakko snacks on 17 18 year old Slovakian kids between meals. There’s no comparison. He’s head and shoulders ahead of every guy in this draft other than Hughes. It’s close between them too very different players.

Yeah, maybe i'm too delusional in this case Ha Ha Ha.
What you guys ( Rangers fans) liked 2020 draft prospects.

As a Finn i liked Lundell he was probably best Finnish player vs Canada.
Yes he tried too much by himself in the end but maybe it was just that he was frustrated on his linemates who couldn't finish those scoring chances what Lundell created them.

Rees was slippery as a soap and caused a lot troubles Finland's defence.
Simontaival was OK but not great and Veeti Miettinen was invisible.

And 2021 draft eligible Aatu Räty was good as well.

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
There are a bunch of studs in 2020 that’s for sure.

Lafreniere Byfield Lundell Raymond Holtz are easily the top 5. You can’t miss there.

This year little different. 2 clear studs.

Then probably 5 6 maybe 7 guys that could all go next in any order imo.

Reactions: Ori and Off Sides

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Some of the names of the kids on that Canadian team... Good Lord.

Yeah idk what it is with Canada and naming boys but there so many damn Braydens, Jayden’s, Tanners, Logans etc it makes me sick. We have those names in the US too but in Canada it’s out of control.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A quiet Kakko game this evening friendly, but he had some shots. 7-0 Finland win. A warm up game before the worlds when it matters. :)

Yes it`s a huge difference playing vs 18 years old compare to 20-30 years old players, and that is why Jack Hughes is not on the US team. He need lots of hours in the gym this summer to prepare for the NHL season.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not to shit on everyone's parade or anything but I have my reservations when it comes to US NTDP players (excluding the real outstanding prospects like Hughes, Matthews etc).

The US team plays together all year long. They have line combinations that work together perfectly because of this. When they play in the u18s they have a huge advantage over other countries.

I am not saying these aren't good players, but I take this into account when judging individuals on the US team leading up to the draft.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
jack hughes is a slippery flash of a player.

kid has sublime feet. he just glides around and with 3-4 strides- hes gone. kid is an elite skater.

his ability to take the puck up ice and make defensive players look like they are wearing work boots is something.

kid is a beautiful skater at full speed.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad