U18 team

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
That is exactly what you've been guilty of, making it seem as if the actual selection was the only justifiable one, and calling those thinking otherwise foolish.
I actually have a reason for this. After all this debacle, I have yet to spot a single alternative name being mentioned. As in, who is this player who should have been picked in stead of Selänne so that the principle would have been followed? Can one be named with absolute certainty?

Because if one can't, then people are getting their knickers in a twist defending an abstract creation - and that most definitely IS foolish.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Also, they didn't know how good or bad the level Eetu was playing in now was. So call him over and see.. Once upon a time there was this goodish Selänne, made the team at 17 but the star was Ikonen.
Selänne raised his game multiple notches, put his stick on the ice, got his name in the paper and his shirt raised to the rafters.

Some folks said that Eetu did work his butt off, had tremendous effort in practice. He took the media glare of Puljujärvi - not a bad trade.

Someone said the youngest Selänne was the best of the bunch, maybe seeing his brother's level wasn't good enough he'll step up his game and who knows?

It was worth the gamble

Last edited:

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Sebastian Aho played with Kärpät yesterday. This probably means that it is not 100% certain that he will play in U18 WJC.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I think Aho's situation regarding the U18WC will depend on Monday's game 7 of the semifinals.

Kärpät wins => Aho stays with them
Kärpät loses => Aho goes to Switzerland and won't play in Liiga bronze medal game

Teuvo Teräväinen and Juuso Ikonen were in the similar situation three years ago and as their teams lost in semi-finals, both went to U18 Worlds rather that Finnish bronze medal game.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
7-2 loss for USA in the final practice game, off to a great start..

Lineup:

Veini Vehviläinen
Nico Viksten

Jonne Tammela - Julius Nättinen - Petrus Palmu
Otto Leskinen - Vili Saarijärvi

Patrik Laine - Aleksi Saarela - Jesse Puljujärvi
Markus Niemeläinen - Veeti Vainio

Kasper Björkvist - Julius Mattila - Joonas Niemelä
Juuso Välimäki - Jesper Mattila

Topi Piipponen - Arttu Ruotsalainen - Sami Tavernier
Juho Rautanen - Henri Jokiharju

extra:
Teemu Väyrynen

Aho very likely staying with Kärpät too.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
7-2 loss for USA in the final practice game, off to a great start..

Lineup:

Veini Vehviläinen
Nico Viksten

Jonne Tammela - Julius Nättinen - Petrus Palmu
Otto Leskinen - Vili Saarijärvi

Patrik Laine - Aleksi Saarela - Jesse Puljujärvi
Markus Niemeläinen - Veeti Vainio

Kasper Björkvist - Julius Mattila - Joonas Niemelä
Juuso Välimäki - Jesper Mattila

Topi Piipponen - Arttu Ruotsalainen - Sami Tavernier
Juho Rautanen - Henri Jokiharju

extra:
Teemu Väyrynen

Aho very likely staying with Kärpät too.

Anyone have a list of the goal scorers for finland? :)

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Anyone have a list of the goal scorers for finland? :)

Link to game summary. Laine and Puljujärvi scored on PP. Vehviläinen and Viksten split the game, Vehviläinen allowed 2 goals, Viksten 5 goals. All four lines ended the game with a negative +/- stat.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
That second line seems interesting on paper. How did they do?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Aho still playing with Kärpät so he will miss the tournament.

Robin Salo was called up to the team. Was wondering why he wasn't on the original roster as he has already played in Liiga while someone like Rautanen and Jokiharju spent the season on B-Juniors..

Fawkes

Jan 16, 2006
The current roster can be seen here. Robin Salo was a late addition to the team. Rautanen and Jokiharju neither are on the final roster. Only 12 forwards on that list right now, so Sebastian Aho's situation is still open. But at the moment it looks like he won't be playing in the tournament, as he is playing with Kärpät in the finals.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Katsomo doesn't broadcast the championships? I tried to google but didn't find anything. Does anyone know any streams? The first game is against the Chezchs today and I'd really like to watch it. Help appreciated.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Katsomo doesn't broadcast the championships? I tried to google but didn't find anything. Does anyone know any streams? The first game is against the Chezchs today and I'd really like to watch it. Help appreciated.

Yeah I want to watch to.....

Edit: nice to see Laine on the score sheet..

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Hard to be hatin' that start. 6-1 win. Five goals on PP. Saarijärvi with 2+1, Laine with 1+3.

Given how it wasn't all that one-sided (27 SOG for the Czechs), guess the D and netminding worked as well.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Stat nitpicking looks like they changed one Laine assist for Puljujärvi

so 1+2 Laine and 0+2 Puljujärvi on that game ala tournament official website.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Laine looks more alive now. This is more like what everyone expected from him all along, glad to see him getting some goals and passes. There were several nice redirects from him, I guess after looking at men's slappers for a year these shots are easy stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad