U18 team

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Was Puljujärvi injured or why isn't he playing?

He was playing 2 first periods atleast? His snakebitten to say the least. 2 times he had open scoring chance including 2on0 with Aho and he passed on both, latter one costing goal for Russia. In frustration he struck his stick on the board..

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Puljujarvi has been benched. Apparently he has 0+0 in two games and something like -6 plus minus.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Man, this team looks lost on defense. The suits behind the bench should be ashamed.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Puljujärvi should be dominating and he is absolutely not.. to be honest he looked like a mediocre u18 player the first game against czhec.. But thats the only game I have watched.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
This group seems to be the weakest age group from Finland in a long time. Saarela probably helps a bit but for the most part, this won't be that good team.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
This group seems to be the weakest age group from Finland in a long time. Saarela probably helps a bit but for the most part, this won't be that good team.

Yep. Nättinen is the only good prospect in the 97 age group by looks of it. Pretty sad.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Allthough I dont like saarela that much I do think he could do some difference.. and if puljujärvi brings hes A game we could still see us as medal contenders. I do think laine should be on the team if so just for a pp role and a 4th line player, cuz I think with only hes shot and size he is a dangerous player in u18 level

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far

This line-up was fighting an uphill battle from the start, they played 4 games in 4 days with an uneven roster. It was obvious that the coaching didn't trust guys like Rautanen, Juhola, Embrich and Selänne enough to give them proper ice time.

Saarijärvi and Järvinen were two of the top three minute eaters at Hlinka Memorial Tournament in August alongside with Juolevi. Missing those two has hurt this team a lot since then. Parikka would've also been a decent depth addition to the back end. Having Saarela, Palmu and Laine upfront would've been nice as well. Not only would have the team been better, it would have enabled the coaching spread the workload more evenly.

The team lost all of their games in this tournament, but there were some positive moments in all of those matches. I think there's still hope if the line-up gets some upgrades for the WU18C's. It's unrealistic to expect all the players below be available at the WU18C's, but on a good night this team certainly wouldn't be a pushover for anyone:

Palmu - Nättinen - Laine
Tammela - Saarela - Puljujärvi
Aho - Ruotsalainen - Tavernier
Björkqvist - Ju.Mattila - Niemelä
Piipponen

Juolevi - Saarijärvi
Järvinen - Vainio
Niemeläinen - Parikka
Välimäki

Vehviläinen
Viksten
Heljanko

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Those additions would make line-up much better. At least on paper, even though the quality of Järvinen for an example would be huge questionmark due to his injury. So yes, there is a chance that this team might do a decent job in world championships. Especially since there are some really promising underagers who can step in already.

But even with those additions, I just don't think 97's are that good age group. Majority of 97's just aren't that interesting prospects and you don't probably see a lot of those being drafted in June.

Fawkes

Jan 16, 2006
But even with those additions, I just don't think 97's are that good age group. Majority of 97's just aren't that interesting prospects and you don't probably see a lot of those being drafted in June.
Which 97-born players do you think will be drafted this year? I'd say Nättinen, Aho and Vainio are the most likely to be drafted. Saarela is a wild card, sure he is talented enough but his history with injuries might scare NHL teams. Plus he hasn't been that impressive in the last two years playing with Ässät. Jonne Tammela is another guy who might get drafted in the later rounds, but his lack of size hurts him in the draft rankings.

What about Veini Vehviläinen? I haven't seen him play enough to form an opinion on him. He seems to be a solid goalie, but maybe not NHL caliber? Most of the goals he allowed in the last U18 tournament weren't his fault, but still, 16 goals allowed in three games is way too much.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Saarela is a wild card, sure he is talented enough but his history with injuries might scare NHL teams. Plus he hasn't been that impressive in the last two years playing with Ässät.
Injuries are not as bad as a setback than, say, lack of size or attitude problems. Somebody will take a shot with Saarela once they get to the bottom rounds.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Which 97-born players do you think will be drafted this year? I'd say Nättinen, Aho and Vainio are the most likely to be drafted. Saarela is a wild card, sure he is talented enough but his history with injuries might scare NHL teams. Plus he hasn't been that impressive in the last two years playing with Ässät. Jonne Tammela is another guy who might get drafted in the later rounds, but his lack of size hurts him in the draft rankings.

What about Veini Vehviläinen? I haven't seen him play enough to form an opinion on him. He seems to be a solid goalie, but maybe not NHL caliber? Most of the goals he allowed in the last U18 tournament weren't his fault, but still, 16 goals allowed in three games is way too much.
Those are the best candidates and I really wouldn't be 100% sure about Aho and Saarela either. Smallish finnish forwards aren't really the most interesting prospects in the eyes of NHL teams. Tammela is in the same category but he seems to go to dirty areas more often than other two.

I think Vehviläinen will get drafted at least in the later rounds even though his last U18 tournament was far from stellar. He has been pretty impressive in finnish leagues so I think scouts sees enough potential in him.

There are some good qualities in some other finnish 97-born players too. But I feel that none of other players are interesting enough that you could easily predict that they would be drafted.

Injuries are not as bad as a setback than, say, lack of size or attitude problems. Somebody will take a shot with Saarela once they get to the bottom rounds.
I find lack of development during the last two years alongside with way too many injuries more than a bit disturbing. Also it has been worrying that Saarela has avoided contact in game during the last couple of months. He has mostly just floated around.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Anyone saw Laine in U-17 tournament? How did he looked? Any chances for U18 WC?

In case you haven't noticed, the game against Russia is on Youtube. Laine's jersey number is #6.

He had 1g+1a=2p in 4 games. That doesn't seem like much, but my view is that Laine would be useful on the U18 team, especially on power play. Put him on the ice with the right linemates and he'd likely do more good than harm.

Whether Marttila wants to take a risk of Laine undermining his authority is doubtful of course.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Camp roster

G:

Christian Heljanko, HIFK
Veini Vehviläinen, JYP
Nico Vikstén, Ilves

D:

Otto Leskinen, KalPa
Jesper Mattila, Ilves
Markus Niemeläinen, HPK
Matias Rahikainen, Blues
Juho Rautanen, HIFK
Tarmo Reunanen, TPS
Vili Saarijärvi, Green Bay
Veeti Vainio, Blues
Juuso Välimäki, Ilves

F:

Sebastian Aho, Kärpät
Kasper Björkqvist, Blues
Patrik Laine, Tappara
Julius Mattila, Ilves
Sami Moilanen, Jokerit
Joonas Niemelä, Blues
Julius Nättinen, JYP
Topi Piipponen, KalPa
Jesse Puljujärvi, Kärpät
Arttu Ruotsalainen, Kärpät
Aleksi Saarela, Ässät
Jonne Tammela, KalPa
Sami Tavernier, HIFK
Eetu Tuulola, HPK
Teemu Väyrynen, Blues

http://www.leijonat.fi/uutiset/tuor...kuleijonat-mm-leirille-talla-joukkueella.html

Nice to see Moilanen, Tuulola and Laine invited instead of some potential 4th liners.

Defense is pretty awful without Juolevi and Järvinen

Joonas

Feb 8, 2015
Is Urho Vaakanainen considered to be too young or is there some other reason why he is not a part of the team? He played in Blues u-20 and scored 12 points in 20 games and his plusminus-rating was 20 above zero, these stats should imply place in team if you ask me.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Is Urho Vaakanainen considered to be too young or is there some other reason why he is not a part of the team? He played in Blues u-20 and scored 12 points in 20 games and his plusminus-rating was 20 above zero, these stats should imply place in team if you ask me.

He was injured in b junior playoffs.

https://twitter.com/UVaakanainen/status/579686551573106690

Probably would've been invited to the camp otherwise

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I wonder if Palmu will join the team if Owen Sound are eliminated in the 1st round (game 7 on Apr 7th)? Would think so.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I wonder if Palmu will join the team if Owen Sound are eliminated in the 1st round (game 7 on Apr 7th)? Would think so.

I think so yeah.

Tammela had a concussion in his last game, hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad