U18 team

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Wow, Russia dropped hard and we get another game against Switzerland in the semis. I don't know how the QF game was but I can imagine that the Swiss players are feeling quite good and they're gonna come after the Finnish team with a hungry challenger attitude after they lost the last encounter 3-1.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Anybody care to give a scouting report on Vili Saarijärvi? I've been watching only highlights, and he seems to have some offensive upside. How's the defensive side of his game?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
So.... there has to be a stream up for today's game. Anyone?
Not sure if I'll get a chance to watch it as a friend is hosting a house welcoming party but gotta give it a try atleast!

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
As far as I can see, the stream link provided above will show the other semifinal game as well. Checked the TSN program listing and it has a program called "2015 IIHF Under 18 World Championship" starting at the same time as the FIN-SUI game starts. The CAN-USA game is playing right now. Don't sign up to anything there, you can view the stream without anything like that... When you get to a sign-up you're no longer anywhere near a stream anymore and need to go back.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
As far as I can see, the stream link provided above will show the other semifinal game as well. Checked the TSN program listing and it has a program called "2015 IIHF Under 18 World Championship" starting at the same time as the FIN-SUI game starts. The CAN-USA game is playing right now. Don't sign up to anything there, you can view the stream without anything like that... When you get to a sign-up you're no longer anywhere near a stream anymore and need to go back.

This: http://cricfree.sx/tsn-1-live-stream ?

All I get is a punch of ads. If I try to close them I get directed a signup page. It loads up a stream, asks to sign in and you can't close the sign up page as there's nothing but "continue".

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
This: http://cricfree.sx/tsn-1-live-stream ?

All I get is a punch of ads. If I try to close them I get directed a signup page. It loads up a stream, asks to sign in and you can't close the sign up page as there's nothing but "continue".

I use chrome and I have adblockplus extension... the tsn channel loads rightaway no need for signups or anything.. somethign wrong with ur setup I quess. that stream works perfectly.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
This group seems to be the weakest age group from Finland in a long time. Saarela probably helps a bit but for the most part, this won't be that good team.
I am still sometimes amazed how much couple of players can do in this level. Saarela, Saarijärvi and Laine came to team and suddenly Finland is playing in finals. Okay Finland did not play against Sweden or Russia, lost to Canada and is playing against USA only in the finals, but the U18 WJC has been positive surprise.

97's still seems like fairly weak age group, even though Saarela, Saarijärvi and Vehviläinen has been surprisingly good, but the top players from 98's has been huge help. Without Laine, Puljujärvi and few defenders Finland would have sinked without a trace. But with them, Finland will play in finals for the first time since 2006.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
The team turned out to be much better than the team from last year. A lot of credit must be given to underage players, especially those two astonishing forwards.

97's then again probably sees even less early-mid-round draft picks than typical finnish age group from recent years.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
The team turned out to be much better than the team from last year. A lot of credit must be given to underage players, especially those two astonishing forwards.

97's then again probably sees even less early-mid-round draft picks than typical finnish age group from recent years.

Saarela was really good between them as well. Really made good use of them, making and finding open spaces and just creating a ton of odd-man situations to capitalize. Could be a complete unit for U20 next year.

ThrashersfanSVK

@Jakub_Homola
Nov 21, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Guys, do you already know who will coach Finnish U18 NT next season? Logically it should be Jussi Ahokas, but what makes me think is that Rauli Urama spent whole U18 Worlds with Finnish team (along Ahokas, Helminen and J. Jalonen who were probably scouting players from other teams, because I saw them also in Lucerne during the preliminary round). Urama spent most of the time with Ahokas in the stands, therefore I create this rumor to make Finns feard, as I see what's public opinion on Urama in Finland :laugh:.

But anyway, I'm surprised, I thought Urama had been fired after 13-14 season, but apparently he is still an employee of Finnish Ice Hockey Federation although without coaching a team, otherwise he would have never been in Switzerland. Or was he an employee just because Finnish IHF didn't want to terminate his contract (AFAIK he signed 2-yrs contract in 2013, so initially he should have continued after 13-14 season) as it wouldn't be economical (severance while terminating the contract before it expires etc.)?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Yeah Ahokas is coaching the U18's next year:

http://www.leijonat.fi/uutiset/tuor...kkueiden-paavalmentajat-kaudella-2015-16.html

U20 – Jukka Jalonen
U18– Jussi Ahokas
U17 – Juuso Nieminen
U16– Tommi Niemelä
U16(2016-2017 season) - Mika Marttila

Urama has really good connections in Finland, which is way he keeps getting these jobs, even without much success. His current job tittle with Finnish Federation is "huippu urheilujohtaja", not sure what he even does.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Guys, do you already know who will coach Finnish U18 NT next season? Logically it should be Jussi Ahokas, but what makes me think is that Rauli Urama spent whole U18 Worlds with Finnish team (along Ahokas, Helminen and J. Jalonen who were probably scouting players from other teams, because I saw them also in Lucerne during the preliminary round). Urama spent most of the time with Ahokas in the stands, therefore I create this rumor to make Finns feard, as I see what's public opinion on Urama in Finland :laugh:.

But anyway, I'm surprised, I thought Urama had been fired after 13-14 season, but apparently he is still an employee of Finnish Ice Hockey Federation although without coaching a team, otherwise he would have never been in Switzerland. Or was he an employee just because Finnish IHF didn't want to terminate his contract (AFAIK he signed 2-yrs contract in 2013, so initially he should have continued after 13-14 season) as it wouldn't be economical (severance while terminating the contract before it expires etc.)?

Rauli Urama should get fired after that U18 WJC home tournament fiasco.
As you probably know Finland lost 0-10 to Sweden U18 WJC quarterfinal in Lappeenranta.

Also it was unforgivable how Urama blamed for team that loss and he didn't take responsibility that loss at all hiring Urama to coach Team Finland in U18 WJC 2014 home tournament was terrible mistake for Finland's ice hockey association.

Rauli Urama is and was one of the lousiest hockey coaches in Finland.
Urama never succeed as a coach in Finnish Elite League and mostly he got fired every liiga team where he was head coach.

Only medal what he won in liiga was one lucky bronze medal season 2010-2011.
When Rauli Urama's team Rauman Lukko took a bronze.

I don't know much about Jussi Ahokas but i think he is good coach.
And this moment Ahokas is right man to coach U18 Team Finland.

We have some new coach prospects to coming our national junior teams.
But their time to coach Finland's national junior teams isn't yet.

Example IFK Helsinki head coach Antti Törmänen is really good coach and he doing good job with younger players.
And i see him to coaching Finnish National junior team after when his contract with IFK Helsinki is over.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Yeah Ahokas is coaching the U18's next year:

http://www.leijonat.fi/uutiset/tuor...kkueiden-paavalmentajat-kaudella-2015-16.html

U20 – Jukka Jalonen
U18– Jussi Ahokas
U17 – Juuso Nieminen
U16– Tommi Niemelä
U16(2016-2017 season) - Mika Marttila

Urama has really good connections in Finland, which is way he keeps getting these jobs, even without much success. His current job tittle with Finnish Federation is "huippu urheilujohtaja", not sure what he even does.

Everything is fine so long when Urama stays in Finland's ice hockey federation and he won't coach any national junior team in Finland.
I'm not forgiven him that 0-10 lose against Team Sweden in U18 WJC 2014 home tournament. It was unforgivable how Urama blamed the team that lose.

Of course Finland failed that game against Sweden as a team.
But coach is the person who has the last responsibility for the final result.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Urama is the guy whose job it is to manage all these junior teams, ensure that they all have good coaches and other staff. (Yes, even Kale can't do all that just by himself.) For example, it was his idea to hire Kivi back in 2013, and he likely had a hand at getting Jalonen back as well.

He may not be much of a coach himself, but you have to admit, he ain't all that shabby in recruiting others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad