U18 team

PlusMinusZero

Sep 19, 2014
Sastamala
No one wouldn't even consider him to the team if last name was anything but Selänne.

I have an idea.What if we atleast watch he play a game before we decide that hes no good.None of us know what kind of a player he is,sure hes stats are underwhelming,but lets give the kid a break.If hes awful then he just dont make the final roster and someone else takes hes place.My expectations are low but I actually wanna see how he does before I count the kid out.

APVJ

Jan 27, 2015
Red Bank, NJ
I have an idea.What if we atleast watch he play a game before we decide that hes no good.None of us know what kind of a player he is,sure hes stats are underwhelming,but lets give the kid a break.If hes awful then he just dont make the final roster and someone else takes hes place.My expectations are low but I actually wanna see how he does before I count the kid out.

No need to, he is just there because this father is famous. If he was regular Matti Möttönen from expat engineer family no one wouldn't even consider him making to the team.

Eetu Selänne is not going to get NHL Draft

Eetu Selänne is not going to play in NHL

Eetu Selänne is not going to represent Finland or United States

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Eetu Selänne is not going to get NHL Draft

Eetu Selänne is not going to play in NHL

Eetu Selänne is not going to represent Finland or United States
Well, if all that happens, nobody is certainly going to remember him representing Finland in a single U18 practice tournament five years from now. So where's the fire?

What's his worth? Most likely nothing. But it's not certainly nothing. If there is even a slightest speck of chance that he does turn out to be a player, same people who wouldn't have remembered this event five years from now will instead be asking "Why didn't Liitto do anything?" when he dons the jersey of Team USA.

It's not that anybody in here finds that scenario highly probable. But this move is being made to eliminate even that little probability there is. After all, the price of such contingency plan is practically nothing. U18 practice tournament rosters come and go. If this one didn't have name "Selänne" on it, it would have whistled right past the head of everyone in here... yours truly included. Which kinda confirms the point.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This whole debacle is such a tempest in a teapot. :laugh:

Yes, he is Teemu's son and that is pretty much the only merit he's on this team (well, I also expect him to know how to tie his own skates), but that's where the nepotism should end. If he wishes to make the final U18 WC roster, he needs to pull his weight here and show he's worth it.

Why get your knickers in a twist over something that has less worth than a run-of-the-mill EHT roster? And I remember some pretty bad washouts being invited to EHT over the years...

Lehtz

Dec 3, 2006
Lol, there are no excuses for this Selänne call up to team, it is utter BS as he takes someone's place there who has shown way more to deserve chance to show their skill in that tournament. Not that it is really his fault though so would hope people not hate the guy. Personally I believe he is OK player but just so hard to see him being anything special at this point after all eliteprospects stats scouting I did :cry:...

Anyway I think it is possible tournament might still go somewhat decent for him if process of adjusting isn't simply too much. He is also planning to play USHL next year anyway and I think he should have decent chance to do so . Two best point scorers from his team in last year went to USHL and WHL anyway and their stats were nothing more impressive than Eetu's :dunno:. OFC they haven't really put up all that many points or anything this season so that is also good to keep in mind. Still if Eetu's defensive game, skating, overall game are better than his production in points then maybe he might even have chance to impress a bit in this tournament :yo:, hard to see him still making it to team though.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
What the hell is this Selänne hype in the media? Zero talk about Puljujärvi or Juolevi who should actually be hyped.

:help:

B823JQAIQAIs1PD.jpg

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I think its good in a way, gives Puljujärvi and co some breathing room as somebody else takes the heat.
Now we dont have to worry about Puljujärvi being chased down by Seiska paprazzi and Miss Finland. ;)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Now we dont have to worry about Puljujärvi being chased down by Seiska paprazzi and Miss Finland.
Though I suppose teenage boys will even more pale with envy. The last kid got some of this because of a circus trick.

This one's gonna get some of something similar only because Teemu forgot to wear a rubber.

APVJ

Jan 27, 2015
Red Bank, NJ
Teemu Selänne is Finlands own Kim Jong-un. This case shows the unforgivable corruption in Jääkiekkoliitto.

Go Sweden.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
roster anyone?

For the 5 nations tournament?

G:

Veini Vehviläinen, JYP
Nico Viksten, Ilves

D:

LD Olli Juolevi, Jokerit
LD Otto Leskinen, KalPa
LD Jesper Mattila, Ilves
LD Markus Niemeläinen, HPK
LD Juho Rautanen, HIFK
RD Veeti Vainio, Blues
LD Juuso Välimäki, Ilves

F:

LW Sebastian Aho, Kärpät
LW Kasper Björkqvist, Blues
LW Jouka Juhola, Ässät
LW Julius Mattila, Ilves
C Joonas Niemelä, Blues
C Julius Nättinen, JYP
LW Topi Piipponen, KalPa
RW Jesse Puljujärvi, Kärpät
C Arttu Ruotsalainen, Kärpät
C Aleksi Saarela, Ässät
C Eetu Selänne Los Angeles jr. Kings
LW Jonne Tammela, KalPa
RW Sami Tavernier, HIFK

Petrus Palmu, Jarkko Parikka and Vili Saarijärvi are in North America, otherwise all the available players are there.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
I dont know if you guys are stupid or not but cmon.. Its Teemus son? He is a legend and therefore the hype should be expected around his kid, There is no curroption eighter... He just is who he is and everyone want to take a look at him, I am to verry exited cuz I have never even seen him take one stride. Relax, if he is nothing of worth it will show. Let puljujärvi get som media competition

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
For the 5 nations tournament?

G:

Veini Vehviläinen, JYP
Nico Viksten, Ilves

D:

LD Olli Juolevi, Jokerit
LD Otto Leskinen, KalPa
LD Jesper Mattila, Ilves
LD Markus Niemeläinen, HPK
LD Juho Rautanen, HIFK
RD Veeti Vainio, Blues
LD Juuso Välimäki, Ilves

F:

LW Sebastian Aho, Kärpät
LW Kasper Björkqvist, Blues
LW Jouka Juhola, Ässät
LW Julius Mattila, Ilves
C Joonas Niemelä, Blues
C Julius Nättinen, JYP
LW Topi Piipponen, KalPa
RW Jesse Puljujärvi, Kärpät
C Arttu Ruotsalainen, Kärpät
C Aleksi Saarela, Ässät
C Eetu Selänne Los Angeles jr. Kings
LW Jonne Tammela, KalPa
RW Sami Tavernier, HIFK

Petrus Palmu, Jarkko Parikka and Vili Saarijärvi are in North America, otherwise all the available players are there.

okey thanks, hope they give puljujärvi +18 min TOI.. So he gets all the confidence in the world to just lead this team to gold. Yay

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Teemu Selänne is Finlands own Kim Jong-un. This case shows the unforgivable corruption in Jääkiekkoliitto.
Who are you? The kid who got snuffed in front of Selänne Jr?

Turn the lights on. Put things in perspective. It's one practice tournament. Matters less than EHT. Matter of fact, they could fill that squad with bottom feeders even worse than him, but if they were unknowns, very few of us would care, or even be aware.

If he makes the final U18 WC squad with questionable merit, then we can talk about corruption.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Looks like these games will be stremed on YouTube.

http://www.hokej.cz/reprezentace/zapasy/32

Today's game: Finland-Czech Rebublic 19.00 Finnish Time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1dizxrDpB4

Saarela is ill so he didn't travel with team. Erik Embrich replaced him.

Jersey numbers per

http://www.hokej.cz/zapas/1554357

1 Vehviläinen
31 Viksten

5 Leskinen - 7 Juolevi
3 Niemeläinen - 24 Vainio
4 Mattila - 6 Välimäki
2 Rautanen

19 Tammela - 25 Nättinen - 20 Tavernier
10 Aho - 16 Ruotsalainen - 21 Puljujärvi
11 Björkqvist(C) - 28 Mattila - 14 Niemelä
8 Juhola - 26 Embrich - 29 Piipponen
23 Selänne

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Finland lost 6-4. Selänne's ice time was an even 0:00. I guess now is the moment where we go from screaming "corruption!" to calling the dumb coach's head for not properly using the unique talent present in his blood.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Man that Nättinen keeps ripping the u18. You almost dont see or focus him entire game and his always there scoring 1 or 2 points per game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad