U18 Russian team

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Not sure if this is the best thread for posting my question, but here goes...
Does anyone have a scouting report on Russian d-man, Kirill Steklov (2002), 6'4", 181 lbs who was recently selected in the CHL Import Draft (55th overall) by the London Knights?

Last edited:

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
Russians should look to adopt a similar model, results would be sure to follow ( originally posted by AustonsNostrils ) .

Hughes, USA Hockey poised to make history in 2019 NHL Draft

A typical schedule for a player in the NTDP on a nongame day could look like this:

7:30-11:45 a.m.: Attend public school at Plymouth High, Northville High or Novi High
11:50 a.m.-12:15 p.m.: Individual player meeting with coach
12:15-12:40 p.m.: Lunch at USA Hockey Arena
12:45-12:55 p.m.: Team meetings
1 p.m.: Team lift (weight room)
2-4 p.m.: Practice
4:15-5 p.m.: Mandatory study hall with education director
5-6 p.m.: NHL scouting meetings/interviews

They don't need a similar model, they just need to go back to the original Soviet Model :laugh:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
They don't need a similar model, they just need to go back to the original Soviet Model :laugh:
I know you're being sarcastic but it would be interesting to see that, those kind of training are probably considered unethical in this softer day and age. Regardless , many countries have made good progress without forcing their players to live at the rink and gym and do crazy drills so it's not needed.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
I know you're being sarcastic but it would be interesting to see that, those kind of training are probably considered unethical in this softer day and age. Regardless , many countries have made good progress without forcing their players to live at the rink and gym and do crazy drills so it's not needed.
Well I wasn't totally sarcastic. If Russian Hockey can rebuild a similar model without the insane harsh training I think they'd have something special. Having some of Russia's top young talent, hockey instructors and facilities all in the same place would be quite beneficial in the same way it is currently with the USNTDP. Russia is always a threat in any international tourny they play in, and I can't help but think with a year round program (especially at the U-19/20 level) they could reach a whole other level.

Thankfully for the rest of us they haven't created such thing.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There is a lot of narrative in your post. You don't become a world class athlete if you don't live at the gym. The most notorious guy to spread those narratives Larionov does, even though he os no pro athlete anymore.

And what are "crazy" drills? There is too much Ivan Drago in it.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

The objection to Tikhonov's regime that essentially broke up the Soviet system was locking the players up in army barracks away from their families, except for one day a week, according to Larionov's account in his 1989 book. There is nothing inherently unethical in putting athletes through hard training - lots of other athletes (gymnasts, track and field athletes, cross country skiers, cyclists, etc.) train as hard or harder all year. Pay them well, give them privileges, and a path to education and any complaints about hard training will dry up.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Roster for Hlinka:

G: Jaroslav Askarov («SKA-1946»), Egor Gus'kov («Loko»), Maksim Motorygin («Dinamo M»)

D: Semen Bujvan («Stal'nye Lisy»), Artem Grushnikov, Daniil Kuz'min («Krasnaja armija»), Filat Zotov («Russkie vitjazi»), Kirill Kirsanov («SKA-1946»), Shakir Muhamadullin («Tolpar»), Kirill Steklov («London Knights», OHL), Daniil Chajka («Guelph Storm», OHL).

F: Danil Avershin («Spartak»), Nikita Burujanov («Dinamo-SPb»), Danil Gushhin («Muskegon Lumberjacks», USHL), Ivan Didkovskij, Dmitrij Zlodeev, Bogdan Trineev (vse – «Dinamo M»), Dmitrij Zugan («Krasnaja armija»), Aleksandr Pashin («Tolpar»), Vasilij Ponomarev («Kryl'ja Sovetov»), Il'ja Rychkov, Marat Husnutdinov (oba – «SKA-1946»), Pavel Tjutnev, Eremej Shumilin (oba – «Loko»).

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The Swedes looked tothless without their main stars. And they did not make their homework on Askarov. Did anyone tell them they are going to face one of the greater upcoming goalie prospects? Trying to beat him with clean shots on the PP all the time wouldn't work.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Great achievement in spite of USA not sending their bests for whatever reason(s) and somewhere I heard neither did Sweden. I wish they sustain this progression for the WJC in the spring.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Great achievement in spite of USA not sending their bests for whatever reason(s) and somewhere I heard neither did Sweden. I wish they sustain this progression for the WJC in the spring.
USA never sends their best to this tournament just as Canada to the U18 WC. But we beat Canada in the finals so...

And Sweden decided to send their top guys to a different tournament in NA instead.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Any new players that impressed? Any Ds that have upside?
I am sceptical about pretty much everyone not named Askarov. Some of those guys are in the group of dummies leaving for NA. On my list those are healthy scratches for their future careers. I mean despite Guschin being garbage on this team even before the draft they continue to do the lemmings.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Will Askarov play at the WHC 17? He schould be eligible? Gushin is a disappointment, not much to say here. A year ago potentially top 5 Pick, now maybe not even 1st round… and the WHL will not help his draft stock for sure.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Will Askarov play at the WHC 17? He schould be eligible? Gushin is a disappointment, not much to say here. A year ago potentially top 5 Pick, now maybe not even 1st round… and the WHL will not help his draft stock for sure.

Not eligible. He was born in '02. This U17 coming up in November is for '03 birth year.

Reactions: rightyright

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
After a strong preseason Gushin (he stayed in the USHL) is now 0+0 after 4 games… he is really a major disappointment

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
WJAC roster:

GK
Yegor Guskov
Maxim Motorygin
Bogdan Nefyodov

D
Daniil Chayka