U18 Russian team

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Boys to men, that's how I would describe the USA - Russia game. No comparison...How many people playing in the CHL/USHL and free of play offs have not been called up? Can we even complain about it anymore?

The thing that makes the American attack so devastating, you may agree, is that they are so well organized. Everyone knows what they are supposed to do and where they are supposed to be. This enables them not to have to think, but to just be free to skate as hard as possible. The Russian kids were forced to try to figure what was going on and what, if anything, could be done to stop them. They were reacting all the time, and unfortunately, the puck was in their zone on the edge of their net most of the time.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
The thing that makes the American attack so devastating, you may agree, is that they are so well organized. Everyone knows what they are supposed to do and where they are supposed to be. This enables them not to have to think, but to just be free to skate as hard as possible. The Russian kids were forced to try to figure what was going on and what, if anything, could be done to stop them. They were reacting all the time, and unfortunately, the puck was in their zone on the edge of their net most of the time.

Also general puck control, receiving passes, etc. seems to be a problem. Passes are not properly received on many occasions which leads to turnovers and generally, to attacks being slowed down. Hockey is too fast a game and players need fast and precise hands to be able to take advantage of positioning, which leads to goals. I'm surprised this seems to be an issue for a Russian team. It's not clear what is to blame, poor teachers in Russian kids' hockey or just the lack of registered kids playing. Hopefully, this problem is being perceived to some degree by the functionaries and that some steps will be taken to solve the issue.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Also general puck control, receiving passes, etc. seems to be a problem. Passes are not properly received on many occasions which leads to turnovers and generally, to attacks being slowed down. Hockey is too fast a game and players need fast and precise hands to be able to take advantage of positioning, which leads to goals. I'm surprised this seems to be an issue for a Russian team. It's not clear what is to blame, poor teachers in Russian kids' hockey or just the lack of registered kids playing. I'm not sure if this problem is being perceived by the functionaries and if steps are taken to move things in the right direction.
Actually this problem is in the KHL and even in NT, for a while now.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Also general puck control, receiving passes, etc. seems to be a problem. Passes are not properly received on many occasions which leads to turnovers and generally, to attacks being slowed down. Hockey is too fast a game and players need fast and precise hands to be able to take advantage of positioning, which leads to goals. I'm surprised this seems to be an issue for a Russian team. It's not clear what is to blame, poor teachers in Russian kids' hockey or just the lack of registered kids playing. Hopefully, this problem is being perceived to some degree by the functionaries and that some steps will be taken to solve the issue.

There are obviously several really talented kids on the Russian team, but you are right, their game is uncoordinated, and they are not carrying out the skills of the game successfully. I actually like this Russian coach, and think he could be really good in the future, particularly because of his defensive strategies. But to be successful defensively, you have to balance it with some offensive success. You have to control the puck enough to make the opponents work hard and tire themselves in their defensive zone. Against the USA, the rink was steeply sloped toward the Russian goal. Eventually, they broke down.

Maybe they looked bad in comparison because of the USA Hockey National Team Development Project. The USA recruits all the best talent across the country at U17 and U18 and places them on a single team in Plymouth, Michigan, where they live and train together all year around under the supervision of the best coaches and with the best facilities. Sound familiar? The only similar model was the Soviet national team from 1954-91. That certainly explains how the USA can assemble a team from all the different colleges and junior teams for a tournament, and it looks like they have played together for 10 years. Hard to compete with that!

Russia was on the way to what looked like a successful version of that under Prokhorov, but then disbanded after the meldonium crisis. I have never understood why they gave up on it. It seems as though nobody really cares!

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
There are obviously several really talented kids on the Russian team, but you are right, their game is uncoordinated, and they are not carrying out the skills of the game successfully. I actually like this Russian coach, and think he could be really good in the future, particularly because of his defensive strategies. But to be successful defensively, you have to balance it with some offensive success. You have to control the puck enough to make the opponents work hard and tire themselves in their defensive zone. Against the USA, the rink was steeply sloped toward the Russian goal. Eventually, they broke down.

Maybe they looked bad in comparison because of the USA Hockey National Team Development Project. The USA recruits all the best talent across the country at U17 and U18 and places them on a single team in Plymouth, Michigan, where they live and train together all year around under the supervision of the best coaches and with the best facilities. Sound familiar? The only similar model was the Soviet national team from 1954-91. That certainly explains how the USA can assemble a team from all the different colleges and junior teams for a tournament, and it looks like they have played together for 10 years. Hard to compete with that!

Russia was on the way to what looked like a successful version of that under Prokhorov, but then disbanded after the meldonium crisis. I have never understood why they gave up on it. It seems as though nobody really cares!
I bet you a few agents had an issue with that, so did a few clubs - as they essentially develop players and then give them up to NT.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Horrible game to watch. Total domination by a Swedish team that by itself is very unimpressive. No stars (Podkolzin had a lot of penalties, but no goals), no leaders. I was impressed with him in previous tournaments, but I would have to say that Filatov has done a very bad job in this one! If this is the future of Russian hockey, it looks very bleak! Luckily, other teams also suck this year, which is why Belarus finds itself No. 2 in it's group. On average, they give up 5.5 goals per game, which means that there is hope to live for at least one more game.

DivochLubo

Feb 28, 2007
I think Podkolzin is under pressure too much. He tend to solo, to be the hero, but it is not working. Also for me it look like Amirov is more of scorer too, while Gutik was able to create more chances for Podkolzin. There are more players soloing too much. Team is for me too much focused on defence, having trouble to create offense against stronger teams. Also powerplay, penaltykilling not too good.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I think Podkolzin is under pressure too much. He tend to solo, to be the hero, but it is not working. Also for me it look like Amirov is more of scorer too, while Gutik was able to create more chances for Podkolzin. There are more players soloing too much. Team is for me too much focused on defence, having trouble to create offense against stronger teams. Also powerplay, penaltykilling not too good.

Yep, this is certainly not Soviet hockey. They're not going to go far if each of them is going to try go "Rambo" all the time instead of playing a team game. I agree with Yakushev72, if this is the future of Russian hockey, it does not look promising.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I agree that Amirov and at times, Groshev, were the most effective forwards. I am a bit stunned at how ineffective Podkolzin was - I thought this was his time to really light up! But overall, the Russian hockey system seems to be stuck in the mud!

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I agree that Amirov and at times, Groshev, were the most effective forwards. I am a bit stunned at how ineffective Podkolzin was - I thought this was his time to really light up! But overall, the Russian hockey system seems to be stuck in the mud!
There are more. It doesn't change the fact that no defencemen are coming out of our system. Those are just smallish, slowish, mediocre scrubs.

Filatov's lines though make me shake my head. He puts players on one line that should not play together and vice versa.

The question is how long those officials like Rotenberg and Tretiak will be able to cover up the failure to build a system by telling us a 4th place is a success.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The single issue that all Russian hockey fans agree on is the constant, glaring weakness at defenseman! Where do they find these guys? They are slow, small, and unable to control the puck well enough to simply clear it out of danger, etc. Occasionally, a quality player like Provorov comes around, but not often enough to put 6 competent defensemen on the ice in a major international tournament. Even at the senior level (WC), defense will be a weakness that has to constantly be compensated for. And yet no good news is emerging about fixing the problem.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't know, Russia still dominates youth international tournaments but they are not used to facing Canada and the US until they reach u17/u18. I wouldn't say one bad tournament defines them but , Finland is making a push to surpass the Russians when it comes to producing prospects. They might actually be ahead now for U20.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Why's this an issue? Everybody knows the 2001 generation is a bunch of mediocrities. When we don't have access to CHLers, or for some unknown reason, Bychkov and Mironov, we're gonna have no depth and suck.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Why's this an issue? Everybody knows the 2001 generation is a bunch of mediocrities. When we don't have access to CHLers, or for some unknown reason, Bychkov and Mironov, we're gonna have no depth and suck.
Could you clarify, what do you mean by no access to CHLers? I understand the ones - who are still playing CHL play offs. But I am pretty confident, that federation is pushing coaches to limit CHLer participation even if they are free. Even Bragin is doing this at U20

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Could you clarify, what do you mean by no access to CHLers? I understand the ones - who are still playing CHL play offs. But I am pretty confident, that federation is pushing coaches to limit CHLer participation even if they are free. Even Bragin is doing this at U20

I think you are correct about the federations not avidly pursuing CHL'ers. At U20, it seems as though Bragin, or maybe his bosses, have an informal, unwritten policy that CHLers will only be included if they are markedly better than the competition playing in Russia. The question is why? There are a couple of possible motives for that philosophy, but either way, mixing overseas players with domestic league players has never worked well for Russian national teams at any level. They just don't fit together very well, and the full-scale movement of players to the NHL and CHL has coincided with a big reduction in Russian world championships at all levels. They may have concluded that there is little benefit to be realized by using CHL players.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Defense is Filatov's specialty, and he painted a masterpiece today. To hold that team scoreless for two consecutive periods is probably something like a miracle. Offense, not so much, but enough to take advantage of the low score that the defense maintained. Filatov should get credit for having them ready, and believing in themselves all the way.

Great game by Amirov, wh0 has been the best forward throughout the tournament. But the real miracle is 16-year old Askarov. What can you say?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Great work in the finals, resilience and the team really grew on top of beating the USA team. The win was clearly stolen from them, due to lack of evidence, Swedish goalie yanked the puck out of his goal - clear as day light, but it would be hard to demand this type of fair play from a teenager in such a meaningful game - to go out and admit that. And we didn't see any video evidence, clearly showing the puck has crossed the goal line.
Best of luck to these guys going forward in their careers.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Great work in the finals, resilience and the team really grew on top of beating the USA team. The win was clearly stolen from them, due to lack of evidence, Swedish goalie yanked the puck out of his goal - clear as day light, but it would be hard to demand this type of fair play from a teenager in such a meaningful game - to go out and admit that. And we didn't see any video evidence, clearly showing the puck has crossed the goal line.
Best of luck to these guys going forward in their careers.

I agree. The puck rolled just past the goalie's skate toward the goal line, and Podkolzin knocked it over the goal line and into the goal, just underneath the goalie's pad. He clearly fished the puck out with his glove and moved it out of the goal. I thought they would disallow it because there was not enough of a view of the puck, but there is no doubt that it was a goal!

Overall, the tournament was like night and day - night, the preliminary round, which was at times like a nightmare, and then day, the medal round, where Russia came within a hair of winning the Gold medal. I have to be impressed with Filatov for motivating the guys to believe in themselves and fight really hard, and also by coming up with innovative strategies to blunt the attacks of really strong offenses of the USA and Sweden. Russia did not deserve to lose!

Everyone knew about Podkolzin, who finally emerged to make a big contribution in the GMG, but some new stars, particularly Amirov, Groshev, and most of all, 16-year old Askarov, showed that they are forces for the future. The winning goal was kind of a fluke in the sense that Chistyakov had his stick knocked out of his hands, and for some reason decided not to take 2 or 3 seconds to go over and pick it up, and instead skated around aimlessly creating, in effect, a shorthanded situation. And if there is anything that Askarov needs to clean up, it is the tendency to go down to his knees all the time. Several times, Raymond took advantage of the opportunity to score an easy goal up high in the net.

Reactions: cska78

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I must agree, in the beginning until about 2nd period with USA in the semis I was really down on our guys - it's unbelievable - how much confidence a fluky (but well fought for) win can bring

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Russians should look to adopt a similar model, results would be sure to follow ( originally posted by AustonsNostrils ) .

Hughes, USA Hockey poised to make history in 2019 NHL Draft

A typical schedule for a player in the NTDP on a nongame day could look like this:

7:30-11:45 a.m.: Attend public school at Plymouth High, Northville High or Novi High
11:50 a.m.-12:15 p.m.: Individual player meeting with coach
12:15-12:40 p.m.: Lunch at USA Hockey Arena
12:45-12:55 p.m.: Team meetings
1 p.m.: Team lift (weight room)
2-4 p.m.: Practice
4:15-5 p.m.: Mandatory study hall with education director
5-6 p.m.: NHL scouting meetings/interviews

Reactions: cska78

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad