U18 Russian team

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
I couldn't find a thread where to talk about it.

If I am not wrong the team is already preparing for the U18 World Championships, and unfortunately the fears are confirmed.

Ivanyuzhenkov still there, and no Abramov despite six '98 born players got the call.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think these are the forwards:

Barabanov Vladimir
Belyayev Kirill
Vorobyov Mikhail
Guryanov Denis
Yemets Ivan
Zhukenov Dmitriy
Ivanyuzhenkov Artyom
Kaprizov Kirill
Kvartalnov Danila
Rubtsov German
Sokolov Dmitriy
Chebykin Nikolay
Yurtaykin Danil

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The coach either hates Abramov or is completely ignorant. Frustrating.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Karnaukhov is still part of the CHL playoffs and I believe those players are not available anyway, so him missing doesn't tell us anything I think

I know that much. That doesn't mean anything because tourney is still weeks away and just like in prior years guys will join the tournament as when their teams are knocked out. I am assuming he chose team Russia other wise he would have been selected for the lower division U18, U20 tournaments for Belarus.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Ivanyuzhenkov instead of Abramov? Hmmm! Rumyantsev has always had a brilliant talent for spotting the next Ivanyuzhenkov who is a sure superstar!!

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The funny thing is that the 97 age group is fairly adequate, and the 98 age group is one of the best in a while, and yet the U18 roster somewhat finds a way to give the team the best possible chance of staying off the podium.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Also wondering where Rubtsov played after the U17 with the national team.

Only 12 MHL games this season and iirc he played a good chunk of them, if not all, before the U17.

He was out for some time with an ankle injury at the start of the year iirc.

Interesting that Korostelev is now free to join NT, wonder if he will be invited.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
He was out for some time with an ankle injury at the start of the year iirc.

Interesting that Korostelev is now free to join NT, wonder if he will be invited.
of course not, i thought they made it pretty clear a while ago. that's if you go to na, you won't be invited to the national team

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Going a bit off topic here but does anyone know if games will be streamed for the U16 tournament in Dmitrov?

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
despite the win over usa it's an atrocious game from russia. didn't see much from ivanuzhenkov while abromov is dominating Russian Championship final right now:)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
despite the win over usa it's an atrocious game from russia. didn't see much from ivanuzhenkov while abromov is dominating Russian Championship final right now:)

They can scrape together a medal here. Would need more God mode from Samsonov to win the gold.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

IMO, the same thing we are used to seeing from U18 teams under Rumyantsev's coaching. No game plan, no defensive scheme, always looking dazed and confused in the defensive zone - you know, the usual with Rumyantsev. I suppose the only hope is that they will get better with successive games. But I could actually envision them meeting the Americans again, playing a much better game, and still losing by 3 or 4 goals.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
About Abramov:
http://www.khl.ru/news/2015/05/07/234334.html

Anyway, beside him i don't see any 1997 or 1998 Russian kids beeing drafted by the CHL.
Did you heard about any beside Abramov?

Also, when is Russia going to release the roster of the U18 team that will play in the MHL?

The draft hasn't happened yet, there will be plenty of Russians drafted. I assume the team will hold a camp late in the summer or in the fall to choose players, unless they decide to name the team close to now like the US does with their u17 kids.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Isn't there a guy named Popugaev? Love that name. It roughly means 'Parrot-ov' in English, hehe. He's pretty good too.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Nikita A Popugaev and Nikita O Popugaev. Also amusing is the fact that one is extremely tall, while the other is a tiny waterbug.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Impressed with the performance of the team at the Ivan Hlinka. Played very much a Soviet style, team over the individual. 90% of the goals were a product of a great passing play. Coach Prokhorov maybe has a point to prove. Some of the guys are rusty, but wait until April, after a full year of these guys playing together. Should be favorites for gold even without the NA guys, still some elite level guys like Popugayev, Rubstov, Yakovenko. They avenged Finland, lost to Canada in shootout. Very close to Gold here, but more importantly the style and level of play was where it should be. Overall happy with the outcome of Prokhorov and the U-18 project so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad