U18 Russian team

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think it's nice to see this team compete well down the stretch despite a mediocre defense, shaky goaltending and subpar coaching. Michkov and the rest of the offense carried them this far.

I can't wait for the U20s.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Ironically the defense was somewhat adequate against Canada. It was Chibrikov, Yurov, Svechkov, etc. who failed to perform. And Ivanov let in some weak ones.
Good showing from Michkov though. Buchelnikov played his best game of the tournament.

With the additions of Lukashevich, Mintyukov, Grushnikov reinforcing the back-end, this generation will be a favorite to win gold at U20 in the upcoming years.

Reactions: BMann

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I am so proud of our boys! What a game, what a performance. Michkov is the real deal! If the coach had reacted and adjusted the PP (with Michkov on the 1st unit an his spot on the right wing) we would have won the game... so many PP opportunities and so little made of them... Anyway, great performance!

For the U20, I would like to see the following combinations:

Chibrikov - Khusnutdinov - Michkov

The SKA - Line. Fantomas you were right, nobody is better then Michkov comes U20 time in December. He should be right there on the first line. Chibrikov can make Michkovs sidekick like he did at the U18...

Poltapov - Svechkov - Yurov

I really liked Poltapov - such a great complimentary player. He is a work horse, can skate, can win boardbattels/1on1 and carry the puck. With Miro on this line I think Yurov tried to be more of a playmaker, but his shot is maybe as good as Miros and was used far too rarely.

Miro - Ponomaryov - Ghushin

The NA traitors line:sarcasm:;-) Two years back we talked about Miro as a potential top 3 pick - this talk is over... he has no IQ at all. He can skate and shoot, that’s it.

Kisakov - Ovchinnikov - Pashin

The we stayed in Russia and are now maybe better then the NA traitors line:sarcasm:

Its of course all about skill. The reality will be that a bunch of grinders will play on the 4th line. The D will be decent and in Goal we will have Askarov, so that should looks a lot better.

Sidenote: Michkov should never ever give up the #17 again! My avatar allows it!

Молодец!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fantomas and BMann

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Ironically the defense was somewhat adequate against Canada. It was Chibrikov, Yurov, Svechkov, etc. who failed to perform. And Ivanov let in some weak ones.
Good showing from Michkov though. Buchelnikov played his best game of the tournament.

With the additions of Lukashevich, Mintyukov, Grushnikov reinforcing the back-end, this generation will be a favorite to win gold at U20 in the upcoming years.

True, The defense played better than expected. Maybe I was watching through biased eyes, but I thought Russia played Canada evenly and to a standstill. To me, the difference in the game was inferior goaltending. If your defense is going to do a better job protecting you, you have to repay the favor. Giving up goals on a 30-foot backhand shot, or goals along the goal line, or 40-foot wrist shots will sabotage a team's hard efforts. Many of the goals were because Ivanov went to his knees and gave up the upper half of the net to the shooter. Too many games were close or nearly lost at the end because of goaltender errors. Not to pick on the kid, who fought hard, but he made some big technique errors that have to be corrected.

Reactions: cska78 and BMann

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford

Why were they not selected ? I blame the coach and the netminder (a couple of real softies). Poor keeping and tactics. This team had the measure and was the only team to do so of the Canadians.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
How on earth does Ivanov win the best goalie of the tournament, are we just that spoiled after so many good young Russian goalies or I don't understand hockey? The guy let 4-5 soft-ish goals in the semi and finals...

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Chibrikov - Khusnutdinov - Michkov

The SKA - Line. Fantomas you were right, nobody is better then Michkov comes U20 time in December. He should be right there on the first line. Chibrikov can make Michkovs sidekick like he did at the U18...

I think this line would be too small. It can work for junior leagues but they can be negated with physical play at higher levels. Will need at least one forward with adequate size, I'd swap Khusnutdinov with Svechkov or Yurov

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
How on earth does Ivanov win the best goalie of the tournament, are we just that spoiled after so many good young Russian goalies or I don't understand hockey? The guy let 4-5 soft-ish goals in the semi and finals...

Goaltending, in general, was awful at this tournament.

No one impressed really.

Ivanov had some flashy saves, including penalty shots, which is why he was selected.

It's not like he doesn't have talent, but needs work with positioning and patience.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Personally, I would like to see a Trineyev - Zlodeev - Didkovsky line. Would bring a lot of energy and some chemistry.

I like your lines, Natus, but they might be a bit soft. I'm also not convinced Miro will be ready for the U20 level.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Hlinka camp roster:

GK: Sergei Ivanov, Yegor Korzin, Sergei Murashov, Maxim Yeryomenko

D: Artyom Barabosha, Kirill Volkov, Artyom Duda, Mikhail Gulyayev, Nikita Evseyev, Kirill Kudryavtsev, Andrei Malyavin, Yegor Nikitin, Vladislav Sapunov, Ivan Remezovsky, Artyom Pronichkin, Adel Safin

FW: Daniil But, Alexander Perevalov, Ilya Rogovskiy, Daniil Davydov, Semyon Sinyatkin, Ivan Demidov, Matvei Michkov, Daniil Larkin, Ruslan Gazizov, Ivan Miroshnichenko, Timur Mukhanov, Gleb Trikozov, Yegor Yadykin, Daniil Grigoryev, Ilya Kvochko, Fyodor Filin

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hlinka camp roster:

GK: Sergei Ivanov, Yegor Korzin, Sergei Murashov, Maxim Yeryomenko

D: Artyom Barabosha, Kirill Volkov, Artyom Duda, Mikhail Gulyayev, Nikita Evseyev, Kirill Kudryavtsev, Andrei Malyavin, Yegor Nikitin, Vladislav Sapunov, Ivan Remezovsky, Artyom Pronichkin, Adel Safin

FW: Daniil But, Alexander Perevalov, Ilya Rogovskiy, Daniil Davydov, Semyon Sinyatkin, Ivan Demidov, Matvei Michkov, Daniil Larkin, Ruslan Gazizov, Ivan Miroshnichenko, Timur Mukhanov, Gleb Trikozov, Yegor Yadykin, Daniil Grigoryev, Ilya Kvochko, Fyodor Filin

Why no Yakupov?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He is kind of not the first person I'd be asking this question about. More importantly where's Zhugin, also Kantserov.

Yakupov had solid production for his age in the MHL and has good size for his age. I'm not as familiar with the other two but I would have thought he deserves a camp roster spot.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yakupov had solid production for his age in the MHL and has good size for his age. I'm not as familiar with the other two but I would have thought he deserves a camp roster spot.

Yeah, I think it's a good question why isn't Yakupov on the roster. Him, Zhugin and Kantserov were pretty close statistically and much better than all but Michkov, Miroshnichenko, Trikozov and Kvochko.

Reactions: wings5

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Final HGC roster:

GK: Sergei Ivanov, Yegor Korzin, Sergei Murashov

D: Artyom Barabosha, Artyom Duda, Mikhail Gulyayev, Kirill Kudryavtsev, Andrei Malyavin, Vladislav Sapunov, Ivan Remezovsky, Adel Safin

FW: Daniil But, Alexander Perevalov, Ilya Rogovskiy, Daniil Davydov, Semyon Sinyatkin, Ivan Demidov, Matvei Michkov, Daniil Larkin, Ruslan Gazizov, Ivan Miroshnichenko, Gleb Trikozov, Yegor Yadykin, Daniil Grigoryev, Ilya Kvochko

Reactions: JotAlan

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Guys, what are your thoughts on our Game? I mean, maybe Im to critical and yes I know, we are talking about a preparation Tournament which we dominated so far, but I really dont like our Game at all. Its almost always the same story, we start bad, at times our Oppenent outplayed us havily, like the Czechs yesterday. But also against Suiss it was a even first Period. Then our skilled Guys take over for some Minutes an the Show is over. Especially Michkov did his Job in the very important situations to tie the game, give us a lead or "поставить на место" the Czech Team when they were about to come back. I dont think we manage to win the games that easy without his talent to take over. Otherwise our game is to play the long pass out of the defense to the wings and hope they can do their magic.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Guys, what are your thoughts on our Game? I mean, maybe Im to critical and yes I know, we are talking about a preparation Tournament which we dominated so far, but I really dont like our Game at all. Its almost always the same story, we start bad, at times our Oppenent outplayed us havily, like the Czechs yesterday. But also against Suiss it was a even first Period. Then our skilled Guys take over for some Minutes an the Show is over. Especially Michkov did his Job in the very important situations to tie the game, give us a lead or "поставить на место" the Czech Team when they were about to come back. I dont think we manage to win the games that easy without his talent to take over. Otherwise our game is to play the long pass out of the defense to the wings and hope they can do their magic.
For years it's been the style against Russian teams, take away middle of the ice, push to the boards, get into a physical match along the boards, nothing new. Since we don't have a system, it's quite easy to do so. You will see this today vs Sweden even more.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
For years it's been the style against Russian teams, take away middle of the ice, push to the boards, get into a physical match along the boards, nothing new. Since we don't have a system, it's quite easy to do so. You will see this today vs Sweden even more.
Since when do we not have a system? Those junior coaches we have are pretty flexible and actually do things between games and in games. Let's not forget, there are 15-17 year old kids on the ice too who do not always do what the coaches say. Let's not forget for all the great forwards there are no superstar defecemen in the making there.

Btw the Swedes would have ahrd time doing what you write. They never do it. Sometimes they lose because of it, but I expect them to play their swedih game as always.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Since when do we not have a system? Those junior coaches we have are pretty flexible and actually do things between games and in games. Let's not forget, there are 15-17 year old kids on the ice too who do not always do what the coaches say. Let's not forget for all the great forwards there are no superstar defecemen in the making there.

Btw the Swedes would have ahrd time doing what you write. They never do it. Sometimes they lose because of it, but I expect them to play their swedih game as always.
Yet again you are challenging some obvious things. It was a great game, Sweden fought hard but we won 7:5.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yet again you are challenging some obvious things. It was a great game, Sweden fought hard but we won 7:5.
Because of coaching, yes:laugh:

So why wouldn't you just admit you were just the negative Nancy with your post.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Because of coaching, yes:laugh:

So why wouldn't you just admit you were just the negative Nancy with your post.
The team showed great resiliency. I don't think my post was negative, I was just stating it's known how to play us, Swedes couldn't quite pull it off, which is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->