U18 Draft

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Yes rolling the 2 drafts together makes sense. Don't think you need to add anymore rounds to the draft, 15 rounds for 20 teams is plenty enough. What they should do is just allow teams to pick from the major midget group at any point during the draft if they wish to draft one of these kids. Gives the kids a second chance so to speak like they do in the NHL.

Even that would be a better option than what's in place now, of course I'm not against players who are old coming into the league if they missed there draft year if they're 17 or 18 and took longer to develop for this level. But having 3 separate drafts is something that just waters down teams training camps and makes teams have to release or cut more guys every year.

Cause as the league has it right now 15 rounds in the priority selection 2 to 3 rounds in the U18 draft depending upon if you draft a goalie and 2 to 3 in the import draft depending upon if you draft a goalie.

So before teams even look at the what they have in training camp could have 21 prospects and that's before free agent invites that teams can bring in. I understand that these kids should be looked at but I don't think they need to have 3 drafts when they could use 2 and get the same results.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...having 3 separate drafts is something that just waters down teams training camps and makes teams have to release or cut more guys every year...I don't think they need to have 3 drafts when they could use 2 and get the same results.
Heck, have just one draft. One draft with 15 rounds where in any round you can pick an Import (2 max) or a U18 (1 max). That would make things interesting...especially the Imports.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Heck, have just one draft. One draft with 15 rounds where in any round you can pick an Import (2 max) or a U18 (1 max). That would make things interesting...especially the Imports.
How do you sort out the imports with the rest of the CHL?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
not allowing junior players in this draft almost defeats the purpose. There are 02s that went undrafted that are playing in junior leagues (Zane Dalpe, Mason Mantzavrakos, George Krotiris to name some) who aren’t eligible for this draft that are more likely to get any attention than a guy in major midget is

the junior players are re entered to the priority draft, but only 1 junior player was even drafted this year.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Any players eligible this year have a shot to play Major Jr A?

Aydin Parekh would probably see regular icetime with the Spitfires ;) I wonder any GM will ante up in the U18 draft and pick Parekh with the goal of flipping him to the Spits for a bigger return.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeynorth and LDN

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
not allowing junior players in this draft almost defeats the purpose. There are 02s that went undrafted that are playing in junior leagues (Zane Dalpe, Mason Mantzavrakos, George Krotiris to name some) who aren’t eligible for this draft that are more likely to get any attention than a guy in major midget is

the junior players are re entered to the priority draft, but only 1 junior player was even drafted this year.

agreed but they are trying to force kids to play midget, not jr b, so jr b kids are not eligible. the whole draft is dumb

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
agreed but they are trying to force kids to play midget, not jr b, so jr b kids are not eligible. the whole draft is dumb
that is true, I also don't like that if a kid is ready to play Jr. B that the OHL tries to deter them from it to enter the draft. Eliminate the whole thing and the guys who end up sticking would probably be the same guys who get signed as free agents. the best player to come out of this draft still went on to play a season of Jr. B after he was drafted

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
that is true, I also don't like that if a kid is ready to play Jr. B that the OHL tries to deter them from it to enter the draft. Eliminate the whole thing and the guys who end up sticking would probably be the same guys who get signed as free agents. the best player to come out of this draft still went on to play a season of Jr. B after he was drafted

evidently the whole point of the draft is to get more kids in midget. maybe its just me but maybe the ohf and midget teams should work harder at being better and not rely on the ohl to prop it up?

Reactions: LDN

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
evidently the whole point of the draft is to get more kids in midget. maybe its just me but maybe the ohf and midget teams should work harder at being better and not rely on the ohl to prop it up?

there is not much you can really do for midget hockey other than this. Most OHL picks are gone, some kids pursue other interests and, in London area anyways, every top player in midget tried out for local Jr. B teams and were cut. They get the best players that they possibly can

On another note, the Knights and Guelph literally start their game tonight at the same time as this draft. Guelph's GM will be coaching a hockey game while his team is drafting. I can't imagine the Mark Hunter and Rob Simpson will be forgoing game 4 to make 2 or 3 (who really knows) picks out of major midget

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
there is not much you can really do for midget hockey other than this. Most OHL picks are gone, some kids pursue other interests and, in London area anyways, every top player in midget tried out for local Jr. B teams and were cut. They get the best players that they possibly can

On another note, the Knights and Guelph literally start their game tonight at the same time as this draft. Guelph's GM will be coaching a hockey game while his team is drafting. I can't imagine the Mark Hunter and Rob Simpson will be forgoing game 4 to make 2 or 3 (who really knows) picks out of major midget

locally they never give the best coaches any of the midget teams, its always the last place any coach wants to go. elgin was the only team that seemed to really invest anything in their midget team. windsor had a few kids who were decent but its like they treat it like a glorified jr c team. they need to act like its minor midget and invest in programs, they act like it doesnt exist.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

Simpson could run the draft for the Knights

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
locally they never give the best coaches any of the midget teams, its always the last place any coach wants to go. elgin was the only team that seemed to really invest anything in their midget team. windsor had a few kids who were decent but its like they treat it like a glorified jr c team. they need to act like its minor midget and invest in programs, they act like it doesnt exist.
and Elgin had to as it was the first time they have ever had the team, which was pointless as it was essentially the undrafted players from the minor midget Jr. Knights, which completely watered the Knights down and aside from 1 OHL pick, they were a bottom 3 team in the league

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Obviously we don’t get this information, but it has been a year since the 2018 draft and teams can release player rights on 02s now. Francois Drouin was a 2016 Knights draft pick and a 2017 North Bay U18 pick. it all has to fall in place as the player has to have played major midget and I doubt many teams are giving up on any 02s quite yet, but it’s possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad