U18 Draft

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Does anyone know when it is I'm assuming next week? and a list of top player.

Wednesday. With no offence to guys playing midget, history would suggest there isn't a list of top players. Likely just potential OHL depth players

Reactions: LDN

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Have any of these guys stick on a OHL roster for a full season?

Last edited:

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Yeah. Kaleb Pearson who Flint traded to Owen Sound. He had a decent year too. It was a conditional in return I think. Don't know what it ended up being.
Owen Sound also had Griffin Wilson their 1st pick last year in the lineup this year...

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Marko Jakovljevic in Sarnia has been a very decent defenseman for the past 2 seasons. In his rookie year he was doing well until the Sting traded for Dineen and added Eliot in January - these acquisitions put Marko in a suit for most of the second half. Played pretty much full time this past year. Will likely be a #4 or 5 defenseman next year

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Have any of these guys stuck on a OHL roster for a full season?

Daniel D’Amato in Erie
Played 63 games, 4g 11a 15pts

12 of those points coming in his last 39 games. He was a decent depth player on a young team and might be on the team next year. Could end up being a nice 3rd line player if he can get stronger

MoganFrost

Apr 9, 2019
Hey, Does anyone know who are some players who might get picked high? I heard the name Fatinelli mentioned.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
I believe you're thinking of Fantilli, an elite 2004 player that filed for Exceptional Player status. Fantilli was denied EP status and will be eligible for the 2020 draft.

No one with the last name Fatinelli is listed on Elite Prospects.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Have any of these guys stick on a OHL roster for a full season?

There have been 156 players drafted in the U18 draft so far and only 1 of them has scored more than 5 goals in their OHL career (Kaleb Pearson).

There have been 29 goalies drafted over the 2 years and Mitchell Weeks is the only one who's ever played an OHL game. He went 1-3 with a .860 save % this year for SBY

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think the players in this draft are better than alot of people here think, and many of them are probably good enough to fill bottom 6/3rd pairing roles. I think it simply comes down to teams seeing more value in using those roster spots to develop their naturally drafted 16/17 year olds to get 2-3 high-end years out of those players than 1-2 from the players in this draft

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
This, in part, is why the U18 Draft is coming to an end. There will be no U18 Draft in 2020.

Getsit

Apr 9, 2019
Agree. The u18 draft is pointless.
Have all these players act as free agents moving forward

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think the players in this draft are better than alot of people here think, and many of them are probably good enough to fill bottom 6/3rd pairing roles. I think it simply comes down to teams seeing more value in using those roster spots to develop their naturally drafted 16/17 year olds to get 2-3 high-end years out of those players than 1-2 from the players in this draft

Yeah this draft never made sense. The only chance these guys have is top make the top 6, which none of them can do. If I can have a bottom 6 forward who's 18 or a bottom 6 forward who's 16/17, I'm going to go with the younger guy who I get for 4 years 90% of the time

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This draft is a shot in the dark, sure there's been a handful who are in the league right now.

But in the grand scheme of things, the number of U18s playing in the league is significantly lower then the priority selection players. It would be easier to just add 2 more selections to the priority selection process instead of having a whole other draft process IMO.

However I tend to agree with other posters, if they want to make things more interesting in the league have a free agent invite draft. Expand it to 5 rounds, make it interesting for teams it wouldn't make any difference to teams training camps.

Worst case scenario teams release all U18s during training camp. No harm to the kids showing what they can do every so often you get a gem in the rough.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
This draft is a shot in the dark, sure there's been a handful who are in the league right now.

But in the grand scheme of things, the number of U18s playing in the league is significantly lower then the priority selection players. It would be easier to just add 2 more selections to the priority selection process instead of having a whole other draft process IMO.

However I tend to agree with other posters, if they want to make things more interesting in the league have a free agent invite draft. Expand it to 5 rounds, make it interesting for teams it wouldn't make any difference to teams training camps.

Worst case scenario teams release all U18s during training camp. No harm to the kids showing what they can do every so often you get a gem in the rough.

Connected

Jul 2, 2015
Have never seen any of these players play, but heard of a few decent players through someone working at the Midget level. Odds are only 3-4 of them will ever see OHL ice, but there are a couple solid players to be picked.

Ellis Rickwood (C), Thomas Lenart (C), Liam Hall (C), Matthew Duarte (LW), Spencer Lecot (D), Justin Thornhill (D), and Jackson Mailloux (G) have all gotten a fair amount of attention as undrafted 02s with solid years.

Liam Hall played really well in the GOJHL when called up. Lecot, Duarte, and Rickwood all stood out too.

The draft does have a minor logistical issue in that teams drafting at the top of the U18 draft will often end up giving roster spots to their high picks from the regular draft, given they're generally flush with top drafted 16 year olds.

Overall, it's pretty irrelevant as even the top picks are in tough for making a team.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Yes rolling the 2 drafts together makes sense. Don't think you need to add anymore rounds to the draft, 15 rounds for 20 teams is plenty enough. What they should do is just allow teams to pick from the major midget group at any point during the draft if they wish to draft one of these kids. Gives the kids a second chance so to speak like they do in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad