WJC: U.S. WJC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapeShamrock

Jul 15, 2011
If Joe LaBate maintains a PPG pace at UW, does he have a shot of getting an invite? (He's currently got 6 points in 7 games as a '93 freshman).

Note - I meant invite to December camp.

I notice that Canada's WJC blog is very active. Much different than the US.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Slow start for Nieto last year.

This year, 6-4-10 in 6 games and has had a goal in every game while being solid defensively.

Nieto certainly has a case to play above others, just not sure that player is Zucker. Blais thinks very highly of him, he'll likely be a captain on this US squad, and will play in every situation. Zucker is every bit the scorer as most anyone that will likely be on this roster.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
His WCHA Rookie of the Year award and his doubling up Nieto's production during their respective freshman years could also have something to do with the hype.

I agree with you there.

Also, I'm not suggesting Nieto is more valuable to the WJC than Zucker -- obviously not at this point since Z is a 3rd year player and will probably be captain. I am suggesting Nieto is a better player overall, now and, more importantly for NHL fans, in the longrun.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
What about Johnny Gaudreau?

He has had a great start to his college career so far at BC playing alongside WJC hopeful and teammate Bill Arnold. If Grimaldi is not ready to go, maybe Rau or Gaudreau slide into his role as a similar small sized player with tons of talent.

Maybe a possibility?

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I know every team is advocating for their guys, so might as well do the same. Where do Noesen and Prince play into the US WJC line-ups Are they expected to make the team?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
What about Johnny Gaudreau?

He has had a great start to his college career so far at BC playing alongside WJC hopeful and teammate Bill Arnold. If Grimaldi is not ready to go, maybe Rau or Gaudreau slide into his role as a similar small sized player with tons of talent.

Maybe a possibility?

Possibly on Gaudreau but he'd probably have to turn it on quite a bit more to get consideration. He's a guy that would have to make the Top 6 to make the team. It's probably safe to say there are at least 4 locks already for the Top 6 (Zucker, Bjugstad, Coyle, Etem), with guy a like Grimaldi a safe bet for that as well when he overcomes his leg injury. Then there's ton of two way players that could play in a variety of roles that are ahead of him already. Not to mention if a guy like Brandon Saad can get back into contention if he didn't burn his WJC bridge by skipping the Summer Camp.

Gaudreau is a highly talented player but his best shot is next year. It's just unfortunately a numbers game and he's already trying to play catch up to other smaller players like Grimaldi, Prince, Tynan, Nieto, etc., or a guy you mention as well, Kyle Rau, that's putting himself in play for a spot. Barring him going on an absolute tear, I don't think he can overcome the deficit.

I know every team is advocating for their guys, so might as well do the same. Where do Noesen and Prince play into the US WJC line-ups Are they expected to make the team?

After the Summer Camp, I would say both are in line to make the team but there's still a bit to go and there's a lot of competition for the spots. I'd expect them to both be at the December Camp at a minimum though.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
I hate that Joseph Labate is having a great season. He was one of my favorite prospects going into the draft and gets drafted by the Canucks of all teams.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Saad is killing it in the OHL, had a great camp with the Hawks (played 2 regular season games), but there are politics involved as WHB mentioned he didn't go to the Summer Camp and some people are still bitter he didn't come to the NTDP as a 16 year old and chose to play with his older brother in the NAHL.

Remember this is USA hockey , the same organization that jerked over Bobby Ryan at the WJC's and chose Brian Lee who was playing HS hockey in Minnesota at the time, over Jack Johnson in 2005.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Saad is killing it in the OHL, had a great camp with the Hawks (played 2 regular season games), but there are politics involved as WHB mentioned he didn't go to the Summer Camp and some people are still bitter he didn't come to the NTDP as a 16 year old and chose to play with his older brother in the NAHL.

Remember this is USA hockey , the same organization that jerked over Bobby Ryan at the WJC's and chose Brian Lee who was playing HS hockey in Minnesota at the time, over Jack Johnson in 2005.

Point taken, although I don't think the "politics" at this time are as bad as they used to be. If Jared Knight could get back into the good graces of USA Hockey Saad stands a good chance of doing the same.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think Rau has a decent chance to make the team. Points aside. He backs checks and is not affraid to score in close or go into corners. He does the little things that make a difference. Plus Bjugstad and Rau play together at the U.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
A stab at lines, with a few personal favourites:

Zucker-Etem-Saad
Rau-Bjugstad-Coyle
Boucher-Grimaldi-Miller
Nieto-Arnold-Knight

Forbort-Faulk
Merrill-Johns
Tinordi-Jones

Gibson
Campbell

Four balanced lines and having Faulk will be huge. With Canada looking so depleted is the USA now the favourite?

CapeShamrock

Jul 15, 2011
A stab at lines, with a few personal favourites:

Zucker-Etem-Saad
Rau-Bjugstad-Coyle
Boucher-Grimaldi-Miller
Nieto-Arnold-Knight

Forbort-Faulk
Merrill-Johns
Tinordi-Jones

Gibson
Campbell

Four balanced lines and having Faulk will be huge. With Canada looking so depleted is the USA now the favourite?

USA has many potential line-ups. We should know more in a couple of weeks as the mini camp gets set up. My quess with a lot of interchangable parts.

Zucker-Etem-Saad (if USA is okay??)
Hayes-Bjugstad-Coyle
Nieto-Grimaldi (if healthy)-Knight
Brickley-Arnold-Watson
Tynan

Finalist consideration
Rau, Noesen, Ferlin, Miller,Prince, Trochek

Forbort-Faulk
Merrill-Johns
Tinordi-Jones
Add Glendenning and if healty CMurphy

Gibson
Campbell

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
The 92 group is very strong.

Are any 93s unquestionably better then most of the 92s? Probably not. Maybe Grimaldi and Murphy, but both have been been hurt.

Noesen, Miller, Boucher, Gaudreau, Trochek, McColgan, etc all very good players, but I think it would be tough for the coaching staff to take them over many of the 92s. They migt have to wait until next year.

AV50

Sep 27, 2007
Lima, Ohio
Forgive me, but who is Gibson? It's hard to follow juniors in Ohio. So, who is Gibson and why is he above Campbell?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Forgive me, but who is Gibson? It's hard to follow juniors in Ohio. So, who is Gibson and why is he above Campbell?

John Gibson. Kitchener Rangers in the OHL. Campbell is still #1, but he's the likely understudy.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Soo Greyhounds just picked up Jack Campbell for a boatload of picks, and 2 players.. now everyone knows about Jack Campbell, but Windsor (his ex team) fans say now that he is gone, that he was a big underachiever and isnt worth the picks... He did have a bad 1st year in the OHL, and has had some great games this year... Is he the big reason USA won gold? Is he the kind of goalie, that takes you to the next level... havent seen him play much, looking for some info.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Soo Greyhounds just picked up Jack Campbell for a boatload of picks, and 2 players.. now everyone knows about Jack Campbell, but Windsor (his ex team) fans say now that he is gone, that he was a big underachiever and isnt worth the picks... He did have a bad 1st year in the OHL, and has had some great games this year... Is he the big reason USA won gold? Is he the kind of goalie, that takes you to the next level... havent seen him play much, looking for some info.

Well, he was the best goalie in the tournament last year, and the year before relived Mike Lee in the championship game, standing on his head to lead the USA to an OT victory. He can flat out steal games when he's on.

doogie24

Jan 27, 2009
Ontario
Im not a big London Knights slappy like some others, but I do watch about 2/3 of their home games. Houser is making his case to win a spot this year, he has been very steady and is pretty much the biggest reason why the Knights are the #1 team in the country right now. However, if Gibson or someone else makes it over him I will understand why. (no, not politics) He's gonna need a huge camp to take a spot away.

Jared Knight... I can see this going either way. He is an excellent skater and CAN score, but I don't see him as a top 6 guy who will fill the net regularly. He would need to have a role on this team, and i'm not sure what that role would be. He works extremely hard and plays the game with great speed. Very curious to see what happens with both of these guys.

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
If they bring Gaudreau to the final tryouts and are just looking for the best players, he will make the team. He is absolutely filthy

Kid will be a point machine at whatever level he plays. Better than Gerbe was as a freshman.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Campbell's been better this year (great at times) even though Windor is in self-styled "rebuild" mode. He should probably fare better with the Greyhounds. That said, he's always played well internationally, and I don't see that changing this year. I also think of his as a better pro than junior. Very projectable frame and skills. He's the kind of stud goalie that will benefit greatly from refined technique at the hands of a NHL goalie coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad