WJC: U.S. WJC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This is true. Having said that...

Canadians have a place in their hearts for Russia. We kinda miss the way it was - there were some GREAT games over the years. And last years at the WJR's, if someone had to win other than Canada, I was glad it was Russia. Especially, in hindsight, after 2 of the kids were killed in that plane crash.

I should have stated that there have been a few moments over the years that have played out with a good rivalry between Canada and Russia, no doubt.

But...

It seems more times then not, the rivalry is usually between the US and Canada, at every level.

I remember in 2010 for the Olympics the crowd in Vancouver was chanting "we want USA" "we want USA" when Canada looked like they were going to go to the Gold medal game to play us.... I thought that was awesome as we wanted Canada just as much! We didnt want to win the Gold by beating Sweden or Russia, we want to beat our main rival, which since 1991 has pretty much been Canada.

The crap talking between the two nations no matter the tournament is epic. I loved when Ryan Kesler said he hated Canadiens, and he played for a team in Canada!! priceless stuff.

I never hear much about Russians and Canada getting into crap talk or really getting fired up much about a meeting...I am sure some stuff is out there but I really cant recall.

I think in the 2002 Olympics at Salt Lake, a few Russian players said that the US was the best team around, and that pissed some Canadien people off if I remember correctly....

but it usually is a Canada vs USA thing, and anything else of late is a disapointment to most fans....

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
I should have stated that there have been a few moments over the years that have played out with a good rivalry between Canada and Russia, no doubt.

But...

It seems more times then not, the rivalry is usually between the US and Canada, at every level.

I remember in 2010 for the Olympics the crowd in Vancouver was chanting "we want USA" "we want USA" when Canada looked like they were going to go to the Gold medal game to play us.... I thought that was awesome as we wanted Canada just as much! We didnt want to win the Gold by beating Sweden or Russia, we want to beat our main rival, which since 1991 has pretty much been Canada.

The crap talking between the two nations no matter the tournament is epic. I loved when Ryan Kesler said he hated Canadiens, and he played for a team in Canada!! priceless stuff.

I never hear much about Russians and Canada getting into crap talk or really getting fired up much about a meeting...I am sure some stuff is out there but I really cant recall.

I think in the 2002 Olympics at Salt Lake, a few Russian players said that the US was the best team around, and that pissed some Canadien people off if I remember correctly....

but it usually is a Canada vs USA thing, and anything else of late is a disapointment to most fans....

Bang on!!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I just get protective of kids. There is so much passion and emotion. So impressionable.

Well that and... I think more than a few U.S. posters are on edge after the way the U.S. played this week. Obviously you guys are (very) disappointed.

Anyway, enjoy tomorrow night's game and Happy New Year.

:)

bbfrc

Feb 25, 2010
Lol, what...is this? Did any of that make sense to you before you posted it?
I will finish the post you were supposed to fill in and understand. You made fun of some french canadian getting booed on american soil. I made note that in america we let everyone into our country and establish themselves and live. Then I sarcastically began to point out that Canada does not. So if roles were reversed, you may not boo a mexican speaking spanish in your country at a draft, but you sure as hell are not going to ever let them live there.

bbfrc

Feb 25, 2010
Well that and... I think more than a few U.S. posters are on edge after the way the U.S. played this week. Obviously you guys are (very) disappointed.

Anyway, enjoy tomorrow night's game and Happy New Year.

:)
You got me there. The booing stings more when I see those guys just heart broken.
I hope to see a HEART felt game on both sides. Happy New Year man!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I should have stated that there have been a few moments over the years that have played out with a good rivalry between Canada and Russia, no doubt. But... It seems more times then not, the rivalry is usually between the US and Canada, at every level. I remember in 2010 for the Olympics the crowd in Vancouver was chanting "we want USA" "we want USA" when Canada looked like they were going to go to the Gold medal game to play us.... I thought that was awesome as we wanted Canada just as much! We didnt want to win the Gold by beating Sweden or Russia, we want to beat our main rival, which since 1991 has pretty much been Canada. The crap talking between the two nations no matter the tournament is epic. I loved when Ryan Kesler said he hated Canadiens, and he played for a team in Canada!! priceless stuff. I never hear much about Russians and Canada getting into crap talk or really getting fired up much about a meeting...I am sure some stuff is out there but I really cant recall. I think in the 2002 Olympics at Salt Lake, a few Russian players said that the US was the best team around, and that pissed some Canadien people off if I remember correctly.... but it usually is a Canada vs USA thing, and anything else of late is a disapointment to most fans....

I agree. Besides, at the end of the day we are neighbours and (as long as Canada wins in hockey ;) ) friends so...

And like I said in another posts, most American posters are full of p!ss and vinegar because you had the week from hell. It will pass.

I think, years from now, people will see this as one of the best WJR's ever because it was so competitive. So many good teams this year. For a team as talented as the U.S. to be out of the playoffs... WOW!

Happy New Year AD.

Last edited by a moderator:

james bond

Aug 5, 2007
I totally agree with everything you've said here. Worrying about bringing more CHL'ers is completely missing the point. This group of players was having serious problems with the fundamentals of being a team. It doesn't matter what kind of experience you have against the players on the other team if you make a pass that's five feet behind the player you're passing to. There were countless plays where my jaw literally dropped. It's almost like I was watching the polar opposite version of the '10 team.

That's a bit contradictory there.

There wasn't a single Finnish CHL'er on the ice the other night. If anything, the NTDP kids have a lot more experience playing against (and beating) the Finnish players. That experience didn't really make a difference either way.

Personally, I'd like to see us succeed using our own system. The Russians (and the Swedes more recently) do a great job of using players from their own system to be an annual force at this tournament. Why can't we do it that way? We certainly have the resources at our disposal. Why should we be the only hockey country on Earth that can support an elite hockey development system yet rely on sending our players to another country's development system?

The NTDP was created because we weren't getting results using players who'd come through either NCAA or CHL hockey and had barely played together. It's certainly been very successful at the U18 level but if the NTDP can't solve the U20 tournament, what can? Maybe it's really more about improving development at the youth level like many have said over the years.

Good post Cagney. One cant help but wonder what is going on in the inner circles of USA Hockey right now though.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I agree. Besides, at the end of the day we are neighbours and (as long as Canada wins in hockey ;) ) friends so...

And like I said in another posts, most American posters are full of p@ss and vinegar because you had the week from hell. It will pass.

I think, years from now, people will see this as one of the best WJR's ever because it was so competitive. So many good teams this year. For a team as talented as the U.S. to be out of the playoffs... WOW!

Happy New Year AD.

I guess I'm somewhat neutral in this discussion, but what makes this the best WJC ever?

only notable moment that I can think of so far is Kuznetsov coming close to matching the tournament record of 10pts in a game by Forsberg, but he only came close, so that '93 WJC must've been better and nothing else has really happened so far... Mrazek's celebrations have been great, but again, not enough to warrant a great WJC?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I will finish the post you were supposed to fill in and understand. You made fun of some french canadian getting booed on american soil. I made note that in america we let everyone into our country and establish themselves and live. Then I sarcastically began to point out that Canada does not. So if roles were reversed, you may not boo a mexican speaking spanish in your country at a draft, but you sure as hell are not going to ever let them live there.

...what in the **** are you talking about? That still makes no sense. I understand what the words in your post mean, but there is no point to them. You might as well have just picked a random assortment of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs and assembled them in a valid word-order.

Let me walk you through the way this conversation has gone:

You: "Canadians boo, Americans don't."

Me: "Actually, Americans do boo, and do a whole assortment of other annoying things. No one cares, and neither should you care about Canadian booing."

You: "YOU DON'T LIKE IMMIGRANTS CUZ THEY TOOK YER JEHBS!! OH MAN I GOT YOU!"

So, let me ask you again: what in the **** are you talking about, and how does it relate to the topic at hand?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I totally agree with everything you've said here. Worrying about bringing more CHL'ers is completely missing the point. This group of players was having serious problems with the fundamentals of being a team. It doesn't matter what kind of experience you have against the players on the other team if you make a pass that's five feet behind the player you're passing to. There were countless plays where my jaw literally dropped. It's almost like I was watching the polar opposite version of the '10 team.

That's a bit contradictory there.

There wasn't a single Finnish CHL'er on the ice the other night. If anything, the NTDP kids have a lot more experience playing against (and beating) the Finnish players. That experience didn't really make a difference either way.

Personally, I'd like to see us succeed using our own system. The Russians (and the Swedes more recently) do a great job of using players from their own system to be an annual force at this tournament. Why can't we do it that way? We certainly have the resources at our disposal. Why should we be the only hockey country on Earth that can support an elite hockey development system yet rely on sending our players to another country's development system?

The NTDP was created because we weren't getting results using players who'd come through either NCAA or CHL hockey and had barely played together. It's certainly been very successful at the U18 level but if the NTDP can't solve the U20 tournament, what can? Maybe it's really more about improving development at the youth level like many have said over the years.

I respect a lot of things you say Cagney and you usually have great knowledge overall. I am not arguing with your views, but I will respond to your points to me because I think you are off a bit on some things...

you talked about it not being a CHL issue in your first post. I agree fundamentally things were off 110%.....you also state that we couldnt make a pass and the team looked polar opposite to the 2010 team. Again I agree 110%.....

But.......

IMO., that backs up all my CHL talk. We fundamentally looked bad because we simply didnt have the right players on the team. We couldnt make passes because we had less talented players on this team then what we could have had. This team did infact look polar opposite from the 2010 team because we had less CHL Americans on the squad as well.

All of your isues in your first post are my issues as well. We simply left so many of the right guys at home, that this team couldnt do the little things it needed to do imo. A guy like Shane Prince or Jared Knight can flat out pass the puck to anyone...they have proven and showed us ALL that the past 3 years. Those two players alone are gigantic upgrades over two of the kids we brought along, as both would have helped the flow of the game and both would have helped to create much more offense then what was created.

Same goes for Matt Nieto and Vincent Trocheck. Both of these kids are very capable passers that would have been upgrades in that department as well. Right off the bat you add those 4 kids in our lineup as well as Stefan Noesen, and I firmly believe that this team is fundamentally better, much more agressive, and much more creative as well.

So yes, imo the CHL Americans is still the HUGE issue here as those kids are big time upgrades over what we had.....and though I tried to put a smiley face on things when the team was announced, in my gut I did not like at least 4 of the forwards picked for this squad.....

I still believe in having a more balanced team like the 2010 squad is the way to go, and that having more CHL kids on this team is better for us overall. As many will know some of the players they will be going up against and that the pace of the game and the physicality of the CHL will prepare those kids better for the WJC. Not going to budge a single bit on this belief.

I still am not sure I follow your development ideas for USA Hockey. Are you saying to send just our USNDP team to the tourney every year? I cant imagine doing that regardless of the success they have at the u18 and u17 tournaments.

you talk about Sweden and Russia using their own development teams to help their WJC teams, but both of those countries are now losing more of their top end players to the CHL as well. Even Finland is losing some of their top players to the CHL. not sure I follow you on that one either.

I have no problems with the CHL, it is the most competitive league for its age group in the world, and continues to produce high level players. I dont look at the CHL as really developing players, many of the top kids already had those talents before going there. Pat Kane didnt need the CHL to be a stud, he already was. Nail Yakupov same thing. The CHL certainly helps players with its pro schedule and style of play, but I do not consider the CHL as really developing American kids.....and even if I did feel that, I wouldnt care less as that is an available path for those kids, we still will have many kids go through the USHL and on to the NCAA, so why not have both?

The problem is fairness and how our selection processes are usually full of issues year in and year out involving CHL Americans......especially non USNDP ones. You cant please everyone and people will always look to ***** at something, but how is it almost every year when selecting these teams, it is always the CHL Americans that are the ones on the cut list??? every time.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I guess I'm somewhat neutral in this discussion, but what makes this the best WJC ever?

only notable moment that I can think of so far is Kuznetsov coming close to matching the tournament record of 10pts in a game by Forsberg, but he only came close, so that '93 WJC must've been better and nothing else has really happened so far... Mrazek's celebrations have been great, but again, not enough to warrant a great WJC?

Hi Mogilny,

I can't comment on Pool A but Pool B has been a nail biter.

I am just use to the WJR's preliminary round being a snooze until NYE with 2 teams dominating. This year, in Pool B, almost every game (not involving Denmark) has been gut retching. Maybe, over time I will change my mind, but I thought it has been wonderful/special so far.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Czarnick, Rau, and Archibald making this team over Prince is a god damn joke. The coaches should be ashamed. This team had no finish. Prince is as pure a sniper as you can get, and he knows how to bury pucks. Not to mention he's fast as **** and has a significant amount of jam to his game. I realize that adding one player, and subtracting another wouldn't have made a considerable impact, but damn, Shane Prince is a thoroughbred and gives 110% every shift.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The U S team obviously needs a coaching change. The guy seemed to be right out of it. Take the Penalty shot as an example. Archibald is getting ready to take the shot meanwhile the coach is going nuts trying to get the ref's attention so he can get a timeout. Apparently he asked the refs if anybody can take the shot? Rules state any player can. Archibald ends up taking the shot anyway. Confusion or what, nevermind letting your own player chill and stew about it.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
cagney
There are a fair amount of players from other countrys that play in the Chl as for the States you want to have the bst possible system does that mean just having a league in the states no what is means is what ever is best that may mean teaming up with the Chl.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Its No ones place to boo KIDS out of an arena. Classless. But thats the Canadian way, eh.
Take a lesson from Brazils national soccer team and their fans. For they are exactly to soccer what Canada is to hockey. Dominant. With one exception, they dont boo.

I don't like the fact that the U.S. team is getting booed, but to suggest Canada is the only country that does this is ridiculous. Do you watch international hockey at all? Canada is jeered (whistling is the Euro form of booing) every time they so much as touch the puck in most European locals. It's relentless. And as for these guys being kids, they're not booed and jeered at NCAA games? I know they are because I've been there.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
bbfrc
I don't like the booing but the its a Canadian thing its not Americans do it as well as other countrys.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I believe USA Hockey is a little too scripted. I've read a lot of their coaching manuals and there seems to be very little room for creativity, the type of creativity slickness that is developed by standard shinny. They have been developing N/S players without who are big with excellent speed and a strong shot. There are obvious exceptions but even with this team, they lacked offensive creativity up front.

You mean the Jack Skille prototype? Seems to be the case-at least with the USNTDP. When you are that reliant on a system from U17-Men's National Team you are going to have a consistent style of play, and the style USA Hockey employs is not the most creative. The outliers are the kids that go outside the system (such as that go directly to the CHL without passing through the USNTDP), and we see how they are marginalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad