WJC: U.S. WJC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Why no Bennett or Shore?
Bennett is too old.
If you mean Drew Shore, he's also too old.
If you mean Nick Shore, he's still eligible but there are probably better players.

This is a U20 tournament, so if you were born before 1992, you're not eligible.
Only players born between 1992 and 1996 are eligible for this tournament.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Bennett is too old.
If you mean Nick Shore, he's still eligible but there are probably better players.

I always find it incredible how often this has to be spelled out in WJC Roster threads. Every time within the first dozen posts or so, somebody does this. You think if you have the time to ask where player A or B is, you'd also be able to spend 30 seconds looking up their birthdate.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
What are the chances for Shane McColgan or Rocco Grimaldi? I grew up playing roller and ice against those guys in sunny SoCal and would love to see them play on a big stage like this.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Justin Faulk is one to keep an eye on. He'd be the team's best defender and while I still suspect he'll be available for the tournament, the team could be hurt if he's not available give that Connor Murphy (another lock) is most likely unavailable, combined with Jon Merrill's uncertain playing future in the short term. If he can't go, and Murphy doesn't come back sooner than expected and in form, it'll be interesting to see where they go. The '93 d-man class isn't deep. Would be interesting if they choose to go more defensive or if they'd look for another young guy (in addition to Seth Jones) like Nick Ebert, Jacob Trouba, or Jordan Schmaltz to possibly fill in.

Who stands to benefit from Faulk and Merrill possibly not playing, because as it stands now there is a real possibility neither is there. Faulk is back in Carolina, and with Merrill who knows. Even if USA Hockey isn't concerned about whatever character issues precipitated his suspension, you have to wonder about whether his lack of game time is a concern on its own.

But who would benefit from those two, along with Murphy, not playing? Those are veteran guys with experience, so I would imagine it either indicates other 19-year olds will have a better chance, or simply that players like Clendenning and Johns have some more room to breathe. A guy like Justin Holl, who is having a good start on a strong Gophers team, might stand to benefit more from Merrill and/or Faulk not playing than a 17 year old.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Anyone who is watching Blake Pietila for Michigan Tech, any chance he makes a run for the 4th line energy role. He has played the role in the past plus this season he has shown offense.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Bennett is too old.

I always find it incredible how often this has to be spelled out in WJC Roster threads. Every time within the first dozen posts or so, somebody does this. You think if you have the time to ask where player A or B is, you'd also be able to spend 30 seconds looking up their birthdate.

I'm talking about Nick Shore who in my opinion is better than Drew.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
What are the chances for Shane McColgan or Rocco Grimaldi? I grew up playing roller and ice against those guys in sunny SoCal and would love to see them play on a big stage like this.

Grimaldi will be on the team for sure. I wouldn't be surprised to see McColgan either as he can play a variety of roles-including that of an energy guy.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Who stands to benefit from Faulk and Merrill possibly not playing, because as it stands now there is a real possibility neither is there. Faulk is back in Carolina, and with Merrill who knows. Even if USA Hockey isn't concerned about whatever character issues precipitated his suspension, you have to wonder about whether his lack of game time is a concern on its own.

But who would benefit from those two, along with Murphy, not playing? Those are veteran guys with experience, so I would imagine it either indicates other 19-year olds will have a better chance, or simply that players like Clendenning and Johns have some more room to breathe. A guy like Justin Holl, who is having a good start on a strong Gophers team, might stand to benefit more from Merrill and/or Faulk not playing than a 17 year old.

I'm not sure Merrill's issues this year will keep him off the team. Even with his suspension he'll still see plenty of action before the tourney. Faulk is an unknown. Any insights Canes fans? Is it certain Murphy won't be ready to go as well? If he even gets a a couple of weeks in they might take him. He's come in "cold" before in these types of tournaments and been great.

If the above mentioned three are out, I see the top six as:

Clendening
Forbort
Levi
Tinordi
Jones
Johns

You just know some "unknown" (ala Brian Lashoff) will make a name for himself by the time the December camp rolls around.

I also think Saad has put his name back into the hat. As long as there are no lingering bad feelings between himself and USA Hockey he should be there. Boucher is another guy to look out for.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Why's that?
Four players on the team last year were loaned from professional teams (D'Amigo, Morin, and Palmieri were released from their AHL teams and Leddy was released from the Blackhawks).

Does Carolina have a history of not loaning their eligible professional players or something?

Why risk getting him hurt in the WJC if you think he could make an impact in the NHL this season?

He's currently with the 'Canes. From the looks of it, he's here to stay. It's doubtful that he'll be with Team USA.

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
Kyle Rau I would assume they will be forced to bring in for a look. The kid just gets it. I have no doubt he would be one of the top scorers on the team if they gave him the chance.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Kyle Rau I would assume they will be forced to bring in for a look. The kid just gets it. I have no doubt he would be one of the top scorers on the team if they gave him the chance.

I agree.

Though, I'm just not too sure he ultimately makes the team. I don't think he's going to beat out any of the (mostly WJC veteran) players currently slated to play in the top six for the US. His game is more or less that role or bust right now as he's really not suited to play on the lesser lines. He'll need some injuries to take place to make the team in my opinion.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Grimaldi's nursing a leg injury right now and is listed as week to week. He's only played in one game for UND thus far, which was against BC in the Icebreaker.

If he's out for an extended period of time, I've got to think that it could impact his performance. Not saying that he won't or shouldn't be on the team, but it's something to think about.

I also think that Iles will get some consideration again this year in goal.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Grimaldi's nursing a leg injury right now and is listed as week to week. He's only played in one game for UND thus far, which was against BC in the Icebreaker.

If he's out for an extended period of time, I've got to think that it could impact his performance. Not saying that he won't or shouldn't be on the team, but it's something to think about.

I also think that Iles will get some consideration again this year in goal.

I think Iles will be one of the few one and done players in recent memory. Campbell will again be the starter with John Gibson (USA Hockey favorite son and OHL standout) will be the back-up leading into his own ascendency next year.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
I seem to be the only person on HF that talks about Nieto as a top player. He has scored in every game this year for BU so I suspect he'll start getting more attention. At this point, I think he makes the WJC team. Probably over Agostino or Prince. I think Nieto is better than Zucker but the latter gets more hype because of his WJC appearances. Zucker made the WJC team originally over Nieto because of his defensive game.

Check out this back-check and subsequent goal. The big question will be whether Nieto will be able to keep up his hunger and consistency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6gEXgrhEBQ

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I seem to be the only person on HF that talks about Nieto as a top player. He has scored in every game this year for BU so I suspect he'll start getting more attention. At this point, I think he makes the WJC team. Probably over Agostino or Prince. I think Nieto is better than Zucker but the latter gets more hype because of his WJC appearances. Zucker made the WJC team originally over Nieto because of his defensive game.

Check out this back-check and subsequent goal. The big question will be whether Nieto will be able to keep up his hunger and consistency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6gEXgrhEBQ

His WCHA Rookie of the Year award and his doubling up Nieto's production during their respective freshman years could also have something to do with the hype.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I think Iles will be one of the few one and done players in recent memory. Campbell will again be the starter with John Gibson (USA Hockey favorite son and OHL standout) will be the back-up leading into his own ascendency next year.
Yeah Iles really just isn't that great, I'd rather have Gibson as the backup.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
If Joe LaBate maintains a PPG pace at UW, does he have a shot of getting an invite? (He's currently got 6 points in 7 games as a '93 freshman).

Note - I meant invite to December camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad