U.S. National Team Part VII

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Our problem is much more of a talent issue. When our vets were in their primes, we had multiple players that could create. Dempsey and Donovan could create magic, Bradley could be a playmaker from the CM spot. While those guys had top-end abilities, you also had guys of the Kljestan level supplement them to make for a more balanced attack. With our current squads, and more importantly, for 2018, our only high-end creative force is Pulisic. That's a massive problem because we still don't know what he will provide on the international level, and he will also be the main target for oppositions.

Is the next generation going to be as good or better than the Donovan, Dempsey, Howard, Bradley, etc. era? We don't know yet, Pulisic looks to be on the Donovan/Dempsey tier, but we need more. Julian Green was supposed to be where Pulisic was, so does he get on track or does he fall off?

If we can't successfully replace Dempsey, Jones, Bradley, then we are screwed regardless. Even when those guys were in their prime, we needed to upgrade positions, but now we can't even think about upgrading spots where guys like Jozy have been doing an above average grade at, but nothing spectacular, now we have to worry about passing the torch at key positions.

Bradley/Jones are at a point where Reyna/Mastroeni were at in 2006. If we don't develop a new partnership for 2018, we won't get out of the group.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Anyone has a quick rundown for me on Klinsmann's history with the team? Very short. I get he's blamed for having stifled the team but I didn't follow all too closely. What did he do to get criticised?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Is it lack of effort or just a declining ability in individuals? I'd lean more towards declining ability.

It could be a combination of both. But any coaches job in all sports is to try to put their players in the best position to succeed. Can we say he did? He isnt the fundamental problem with what is wrong with American soccer, but he isnt the solution. Right now they need to make a hite based on someone who they think can qualify. They have 8 games left, they probably need 15 points.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
There are 8 games left to be played with 2 out of 3 of the hardest matches already done. We only need to finish in the top 4 out of the 6 teams with ideally it being in the top 3 to avoid the playoff with the 5th place asian team.

I totally agree with the former stars not being what they used to be which is why this potential hire has me scared. We need someone not allergic to using younger players, especially younger players with non MLS ties.

While the Hex is rather forgiving in qualifying for the World Cup and the odds for us to still advance to Russia is still very likely, Mexico needed a 90th minute equalizer from the US against Panama to win that 4th place spot to go head to head against New Zealand to qualify for Brazil. It is a realistic possibility that we won't qualify for Russia. So while some may say that re-hiring Arena isn't really a step forward, there are a lot of positives in that he's familiar with the Program and has experience in World Cup Qualifying.

At this point right now, we need to get our priorities straightened out and our priority right now is qualify for Russia.

Give Arena the keys until the World Cup and then replace him not long after. I'm also jumping on the Pareja bandwagon, but it would be foolish to offer him the job at this point. The ideal scenario would to have been fire Klinsmann after the 2015 Gold Cup and got someone like Pareja, but Gulati waited too long.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
While the Hex is rather forgiving in qualifying for the World Cup and the odds for us to still advance to Russia is still very likely, Mexico needed a 90th minute equalizer from the US against Panama to win that 4th place spot to go head to head against New Zealand to qualify for Brazil. It is a realistic possibility that we won't qualify for Russia. So while some may say that re-hiring Arena isn't really a step forward, there are a lot of positives in that he's familiar with the Program and has experience in World Cup Qualifying.

At this point right now, we need to get our priorities straightened out and our priority right now is qualify for Russia.

Give Arena the keys until the World Cup and then replace him not long after. I'm also jumping on the Pareja bandwagon, but it would be foolish to offer him the job at this point. The ideal scenario would to have been fire Klinsmann after the 2015 Gold Cup and got someone like Pareja, but Gulati waited too long.

Is he really that familiar with the program? He last managed USA over 13 years ago. What makes him more familiar with the players than say any other MLS coach?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Anyone has a quick rundown for me on Klinsmann's history with the team? Very short. I get he's blamed for having stifled the team but I didn't follow all too closely. What did he do to get criticised?

Overperformed in friendlies, underperformed in competitions(or didn't improve upon his predecessor). Would blame his failures on players or fans not understanding "how football works".

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
JK did some good things but overstated his welcome. That's all I've got to say about that.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

Was hired (at three to four times the salary of his predecessor) to elevate the program and set it on the path to consistently compete with the world's top powers, but actually made the team worse. Blamed everyone but himself for the lack of progress, including the players, the media, the fans and MLS. And did so for five years, mostly with the attitude that anyone who was criticizing him just doesn't know much about soccer. I've never been so glad to see a sports coach get fired.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Predictions as to which players gain the most from this and which lose out? *Assuming it's Bruce.

Gain:

-Feilhaber: Think he finally gets a callup to help steer the ship through qualifying, but I doubt that he gets to go to Russia.

-Nagbe: We are in desperate need of a CM who can control the ball in tight spaces. He starts at least one of the next two WCQ.

-Lletget: He deserves some callups and that is exactly what he will get with his club manager now in control of the national squad.

-Dax McCarty: Will become the Kyle Beckerman of this cycle

-Agudelo

-Hedges

-English Championship players such as Ream and Lichaj will be getting calls over BL2 players.

-Landon Donovan ;)

Lose:

-Wondo, Beckerman, Orozco: Thank you for your service, but good riddance.

-Chandler: Won't see him for a while IMO

-Jones: Will be phased out much quicker now that JK is gone.

-Bedoya: Nagbe replaces him

-Johansson: Think he is way down on the depth chart now..behind Jozy, Wood, Morris, Agudelo, Zardes, Dempsey

Howard
Yedlin-Cameron-Brooks-Johnson
McCarty-Bradley
Nagbe-Klejstan-Pulisic
--------Wood

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Psst - it wasn't that JK trashed MLS and encouraged players to play in Europe that got him fired. It wasn't that he recruited dual nationals that got him fired. It wasn't the Donovan debacle, which was so amazingly stupid, that got him fired. It wasn't that the US is just too average to ever be better, tho he will have you believe that. It wasn't that he was ahead of his time and the fans just didn't understand the process, tho he thinks that's true too. It wasn't that the young system of pay to play sucks, or that no other country in the world has a college system of players.

No. He got fired because JK is an absolutely terrible coach. He always has been. He always will be. He survived all of those things. He could not survive being constantly outcoached when we played a team with any sort of talent.

Maybe we can hire Philip Lahm after Arena, and really troll the **** out of JK?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Was hired (at three to four times the salary of his predecessor) to elevate the program and set it on the path to consistently compete with the world's top powers, but actually made the team worse. Blamed everyone but himself for the lack of progress, including the players, the media, the fans and MLS. And did so for five years, mostly with the attitude that anyone who was criticizing him just doesn't know much about soccer. I've never been so glad to see a sports coach get fired.

If you expected Klinsmann to make the US a "top power" you were just asking to be disappointed. I don't really agree that the team is worse than when he took over, but they have underperformed in domestic competition.

I think people dislike him so much more for his unlikeability and air of European football elitism, which rubs sensitive Americans that have always dealt with that for years the wrong way, than his x's and 0's. I get why that would be insane to tolerate if the results don't match. Bruce Arena isn't an upgrade in my estimation, but he's American and familiar.

Last edited:

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Not that Klinsmann is a good manager or anything, but I don't understand how people think that the United States is suddenly going to compete with the rest of the world, because US players simply aren't very good. It's hard for me to watch a USA match and see the quality out there to compete with top level sides, especially going forward.

To me it's a lot less a problem of coaching as a problem of simply not having the necessary manpower. If anything, it seems to me that the United States consistently overperforms their talent level, not underperforms.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Also Michael Bradley complained a lot about Jurgen after the games recently, but Bradley's form this year for USA is garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad