Prospect Info: Tyson Kozak, F (193rd overall, 2021) -- SIGNED to 3-year ELC

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
1) No there is no cap on the number of players who can have their ELC slide.
2) Kozak is not eligible to have his ELC slide as he is too old. Players who sign at 19 (as of September 15 of the year of signing), but turn 20 before the end of that year are not eligible for an ELC slide.
3) Kozak is able to play in the AHL.
4) As far as the 50 contract limit goes, there are also no limits, at least in the CBA, on the number of players that a team can have signed that do not count against the limit.
5) The only signed players who do not count against the 50 contract limit are players who: a) are 18 or 19 [note: this is one area where the CBA is more vague than it should be, as player age is not defined in Article 1, and also is defined differently in different articles of the CBA], b) have been returned to juniors and c) have not played 11 NHL games in one season.
6) Per point a) above and its vagueries, it is not 100% clear whether Kozak would be exempt from the 50 contract limit if he were returned to juniors. However, my personal interpretation is that he would not be, as the exemption rules seem to refer to the ELC slide, which does not apply to players of Kozak's age.
7) As a larger point, as the CBA is written at least, the only players under contract who do not count against the 50 contract limit are those who have been returned to juniors (which is a term that is defined in Article 1 of the CBA, and specifically refers to the CHL). As such, any players who would otherwise not count against the 50 contract limit do in fact count if they are playing in Europe, or in the AHL. Along the same lines, a slide eligible player who is playing in the NHL counts against the 50 contract limit unless or until he has been returned to Juniors (provided he has not played 11 or more NHL games in that, or the previous, season).
8) Regarding the proceeding point, however, I would note that the strict text of the CBA does not always reflect how it works in practice. There are numerous points in the CBA where the wording is somewhat vague, and others where the text of the CBA seems to be disregarded altogether (such as the LTIR rules). It is possible, therefore, that players could be exempt from the 50 contract limit even if they play in Europe (CapFriendly seems to think so at least), although I would be very surprised if the same were the case for anyone playing in the AHL (whom CapFriendly also seems to think can be exempt).
9) That said, per the CBA itself, anyone playing in the AHL or Europe, while party to an NHL SPC, counts against the 50 contract limit, even if they would otherwise be exempt, and even if they are eligible to have their ELC slide.
The man called it.

Reactions: Buffalo Norsemen

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I would have still preferred if he went back to junior. He could have served as captain and gotten a lot of ice time.

Reactions: elchud

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

At only 20 years old, Kozak is among the Amerks’ most trusted forwards. He’s responsible defensively, blocks shots, shuts down opposing power plays, wins important faceoffs and, when necessary, defends himself with fists that must have felt like bricks to Thompson in their fight on April 1.

Kozak, 5 goals, 5 assists in 55 AHL games this season.

Brett Murray, 23 goals, 26 assists in 71 AHL games this season.

Who's more likely to be an NHL'er?

Reactions: Matt Ress

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA

Kozak, 5 goals, 5 assists in 55 AHL games this season.

Brett Murray, 23 goals, 26 assists in 71 AHL games this season.

Who's more likely to be an NHL'er?

I think both could play in the NHL

This current regime seems more invested in Kozak and should be, they drafted him. Even more so now that they traded Bloom.

But I can see Murray being one of those guys we let go (And probably will with all the talent we have up front in our pipeline) and thrives elsewhere. Similar to a Hagel with less production but could be in high demand.

Reactions: WhereAreTheCookies

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

This current regime seems more invested in Kozak and should be, they drafted him. Even more so now that they traded Bloom.

But I can see Murray being one of those guys we let go (And probably will with all the talent we have up front in our pipeline) and thrives elsewhere. Similar to a Hagel with less production but could be in high demand.
Murray is also 4 years older, and much further along in his development. I would honestly expect more from him at the AHL level than a late round 20 year old playing in the bottom 6.

Their playoff numbers are much closer, albeit a very small sample size. Kozak does have the best +/- on the team in those games, and Murray has the 2nd worst though. I admittedly don't know how they've been deployed so that may just be a result of deployment and match-ups.

Kozak - 2 goals, 1 assist, +5 in 5 playoff games
Murray - 1 goal, 3 assists, -3 in 5 playoff games

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Murray is also 4 years older, and much further along in his development. I would honestly expect more from him at the AHL level than a late round 20 year old playing in the bottom 6.

Their playoff numbers are much closer, albeit a very small sample size. Kozak does have the best +/- on the team in those games, and Murray has the 2nd worst though. I admittedly don't know how they've been deployed so that may just be a result of deployment and match-ups.

Kozak - 2 goals, 1 assist, +5 in 5 playoff games
Murray - 1 goal, 3 assists, -3 in 5 playoff games
Oh for sure! my comments weren't implying that I think Murray is better or anything. I'm a huge Kozak fan and love how they are developing him. Both can for sure play in the NHL IMO but Kozak will be in Buff and Murray will probably end up elsewhere.

Reactions: WhereAreTheCookies

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I think Murray will have a Hudson Fasching type of career.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Oh for sure! my comments weren't implying that I think Murray is better or anything. I'm a huge Kozak fan and love how they are developing him. Both can for sure play in the NHL IMO but Kozak will be in Buff and Murray will probably end up elsewhere.
Eh. I don't see Murray amounting to much in the NHL. Couple of cups of coffee and that's it. Don't see what keeps him in the NHL.

Reactions: Jacob582

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Eh. I don't see Murray amounting to much in the NHL. Couple of cups of coffee and that's it. Don't see what keeps him in the NHL.
Granted it was last season but according to Friedman, Murray was drawing a lot of attention to western teams to the point where they called Adams about him. I can see him finding a key roll out west.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Granted it was last season but according to Friedman, Murray was drawing a lot of attention to western teams to the point where they called Adams about him. I can see him finding a key roll out west.

I think he's too slow for the current NHL. There are definitely eras where he would've been a role player, but I don't think now is one of them -- the league is just too much about speed.

Reactions: Zman5778

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I think he's too slow for the current NHL. There are definitely eras where he would've been a role player, but I don't think now is one of them -- the league is just too much about speed.
I think Murray could have been incredibly effective in the early 2010s with those heavy West Coast teams. The game has passed his skillset by.

As for Kozak, from what I've read, he has been one of the most consistent players this postseason. Good. Let him build off of it into next year. I expect him to carry a pretty big role on the Americans next year.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think Murray could have been incredibly effective in the early 2010s with those heavy West Coast teams. The game has passed his skillset by.

As for Kozak, from what I've read, he has been one of the most consistent players this postseason. Good. Let him build off of it into next year. I expect him to carry a pretty big role on the Americans next year.
Especially with an influx of more young players coming. Getting him in early, though somewhat unexpected at the time, positions him well to not only not get lost in the mix but to take a leadership role to the other prospects. He’ll have gone through it already…and will have a bigger role

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah, just looking at the player stat lines, one has to take into it that Kozak is 4.5 years younger than Murray. At the same age, Murray was playing for Youngstown of the USHL and had to come to the next camp to earn an AHL contract, let alone an NHL deal. Murray's playing PP time for Rochester - sometimes first, sometimes second depending on available personnel - and Kozak almost without fail does not and that lead to 8 goals and 13 PP points for Murray.

In just playoff terms, Jobst with Mersch and Murray on the wings had some matchup issues trying to slow down Barre-Boulet and were on for the last two Crunch goals in Game 5. I wouldn't look too deeply into the +/- thing. The Game 3 win was due in large part for what Murray did offensively an dhe still wound up -1.

They don't have Biro so they're playing Jobst up as C1 and Malone as C2 while Kozak was on Malone's wing much in Game's 4 and 5 with Rosen on the other side. He's been the sort of warrior mentality that Sabre fans will love when it translates up to the big club. He takes hits to make plays - the one were he gets crushed to feed Weissbach in Game 1 was something lesser players wouldn't have tried, they would've daisy curled and peeled off instead of eating the hit. If there is question of where an energy line replacement or two are coming from within the Sabres prospect cadre, Kozak is at the top of a very short list with Cederqvist for those sort of roles.

Reactions: Fjordy

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Yeah, just looking at the player stat lines, one has to take into it that Kozak is 4.5 years younger than Murray. At the same age, Murray was playing for Youngstown of the USHL and had to come to the next camp to earn an AHL contract, let alone an NHL deal. Murray's playing PP time for Rochester - sometimes first, sometimes second depending on available personnel - and Kozak almost without fail does not and that lead to 8 goals and 13 PP points for Murray.

In just playoff terms, Jobst with Mersch and Murray on the wings had some matchup issues trying to slow down Barre-Boulet and were on for the last two Crunch goals in Game 5. I wouldn't look too deeply into the +/- thing. The Game 3 win was due in large part for what Murray did offensively an dhe still wound up -1.

They don't have Biro so they're playing Jobst up as C1 and Malone as C2 while Kozak was on Malone's wing much in Game's 4 and 5 with Rosen on the other side. He's been the sort of warrior mentality that Sabre fans will love when it translates up to the big club. He takes hits to make plays - the one were he gets crushed to feed Weissbach in Game 1 was something lesser players wouldn't have tried, they would've daisy curled and peeled off instead of eating the hit. If there is question of where an energy line replacement or two are coming from within the Sabres prospect cadre, Kozak is at the top of a very short list with Cederqvist for those sort of roles.
Would LOVE for the both of them to eventually have 4th line rolls in Buf. Kozak and Cederqvist together can do some damage not just offensively but winning puck battles, cycling and defensively. But aren't afraid to go to the dirty areas

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Would LOVE for the both of them to eventually have 4th line rolls in Buf. Kozak and Cederqvist together can do some damage not just offensively but winning puck battles, cycling and defensively. But aren't afraid to go to the dirty areas

That's the thing - they both go into hard areas and both will take and give a hit. There aren't guys who already are playing that style in the prospect stable so in slotting for role (and we see how much that role is important in both the NHL and AHL playoffs), they need them. Kozak is the sort of guy who I think sees the path forward and is working at that. Right now, he's got someone in Peca he can lean on for advise and coaching too. Appert said the Amerks had 36 blocked shots in Game 5 and I think Kozak had four of them in just one sequence late in the game. They need more guys with this sort of temperament or for some of them to grow into that to be pros. It's a physical game, some of them need to play up to that and Kozak very much does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad