Prospect Info: Tyson Kozak, F (193rd overall, 2021) -- SIGNED to 3-year ELC

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
He's following in the fine tradition of Sabre late round centers from the Winter Hawks like Gaustad and Nichol.
I just found that Jankowski was drafted by Calgary with the pick we got from Nashville in the Gaustad trade

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’m as happy as anyone about Kozak: how good he’s looking and his prospects for the future. But I think the idea of having him play a lesser role like some are saying (Duff & Marty, etc.) about him playing in Rochester rather than being a captain and hopefully being a dominant 1st line C in the WHL is somewhere between suboptimal and downright stupid.

Sure, he could develop his checking game and defensive habits in the AHL, but no way is he going to get the same kind of offensive opportunities and chance to be THE leader on his team like he would be in the WHL.

Let’s not forget that all these guys (except maybe Savoie because he played in the USHL) still missed almost a full year of development. The staff should curtail their excitement and not rush this kid. We are talking about only one more season before making the jump.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Hmmm…who to trust in player development…Appert and Peca…poster on hfboards.

gosh it’s close.

Quinn missed that year of development to. I’ll get in my time machine and tell them they need to curtail their excitement and send him away before he grows exponentially as a player in the AHL. More opportunities for leadership and offense, I’ll tell them. The fools.

• Wow
Reactions: Jacob582

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

gosh it’s close.

Quinn missed that year of development to. I’ll get in my time machine and tell them they need to curtail their excitement and send him away before he grows exponentially as a player in the AHL. More opportunities for leadership and offense, I’ll tell them. The fools.

Quinn is a top 10 pick who had a much more dominant draft season and then was only put in the AHL that first year -- where he struggled -- because of the pandemic. I'm certain that he would have gone back to the OHL if it wasn't shut down for the season. And Quinn also didn't have his D-1 season eliminated from his development, unlike Kozak who only got 20 games of the pandemic shortened season. So it's an apples vs. oranges comparison.

With Kulich, Rosen, Kisakov and others already going to Rochester (plus all the veterans), there's no way Kozak is going to be THE clear-cut #1 leader on the Amerks, and get all the top minutes and assignments the way he would be in Portland.

There is zero downside in Kozak going back and being the first line center and captain on one of the best teams for player development in the best junior league in the world. Just because he *could* play in the AHL doesn't mean he should, and most players are slow cooked for a reason.

And every single post on this message board, regardless of what thread or topic it is, could garner the same condescending response of what any of us posters know vs. those who actually work for the team. So it's an obvious implicit caveat in every single post any of us write. But if you feel you need to point it out anyway, you should put it in your signature so it's there in every one of your posts.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Interesting note, Marty and Duffer think Kozak will sign for Rochester now.
Kozak has already signed his ELC. The question is whether he can play in the AHL this season or not.

He turns 20yo on 12/29.

I do not have the rule memorized about when a player has to go back to his CHL team and when he can play in the AHL.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

gosh it’s close.

Why bother posting here and reading posts then?

Just go listen to pressers...

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It's always a mystery if draft picks will be useful at the NHL level, even 1st-rounders. For a 7th-round pick like Kozak, it's more like "near impossibility".

He appears to be bucking the odds. So easy to root for this kid.

2021 draft is gonna have a lot of early misses and late round hits.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
2021 draft is gonna have a lot of early misses and late round hits.
Rosen has looked better than I expected tbh, Kisakov about where I thought, both should benefit form NA development in the A if they can stay healthy. Who knows if Poltapov ever makes it over, but he is high skill? Not that familiar with Sardarian.

It was the covid draft so they swung for the fences.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Kozak reminds me of Kyle Williams in that he doesn’t look different at any level of competition. He looked just as effective against the Caps as he did against other prospects, as he did against the W. This is what they said about RoR at the beginning of his career too. I think it’s because he has enough raw athletic talent to be quick at any level, and he has enough brains to see and make the right play, but he doesn’t have dazzling skills which would cause him to put up crazy numbers in junior.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Kozak has already signed his ELC. The question is whether he can play in the AHL this season or not.

He turns 20yo on 12/29.

I do not have the rule memorized about when a player has to go back to his CHL team and when he can play in the AHL.
He is ineligible for WJC so Buffalo can send him to Rochester. He could go back to CHL as an overage exception but I don’t recall the exact rules on this if the player is signed By an nhl club.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He is ineligible for WJC so Buffalo can send him to Rochester. He could go back to CHL as an overage exception but I don’t recall the exact rules on this if the player is signed By an nhl club.

Key Returners
Fans in Portland will enjoy a slough of quality returnees from 2021-22 this coming season, even if co-captain Tyson Kozak makes the jump to the Buffalo Sabres organization as a signed 20-year-old prospect.

Portland appears to have some level of hope that Kozak is back.

:dunno:

Kozak was in Portland for their pre-NHL camp training camp tournament.

Kozak maintains one more year of WHL eligibility should Buffalo elect to further develop him in Portland.

Reactions: Jacob582

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Tyson, like the chicken, and if he is playing center he will have two wings.

just don’t give him NyQuil….
100%. That draft class is going to be full of outliers because of the utter impossibility of scouting it.

2021 will be an outlier for sure.

usually the top 10 in early ranking right after the prior years drsft don’t move much. Some players might drop out but still be top 30 and some in the top 50 might move up into the top 20.

the far bigger drops or gains are in those outside the top 30 where some could be early 2nd round rated prospects drop to the 4th or later.

even then you always have about 5 outliers per draft ( excluding goalies) where they went in the 3rd or later and became “ name“ players. There are about 10-15 others who do make the nhl for 200+ games but they are not all stars.

RhinoFan

May 28, 2016
Rosen has looked better than I expected tbh, Kisakov about where I thought, both should benefit form NA development in the A if they can stay healthy. Who knows if Poltapov ever makes it over, but he is high skill? Not that familiar with Sardarian.

It was the covid draft so they swung for the fences.
Poltapov has some skill, but think he's more of your bottom6 energy guy if he pans out.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Portland appears to have some level of hope that Kozak is back.

:dunno:

Kozak was in Portland for their pre-NHL camp training camp tournament.

I don’t know what has been decided on the “ lost” year due to Covid around eligibility and CHL And the 4 year rights.

he would have played 4 yrs if Covid didn’t happen so he could go to Rochester in those circumstances.

i don’t know the criteria around being under contract by an nhl club or not factors into this. If he wasn’t under contract by buffalo ( they had his rights till June 2023) it might be easier for him to go back to the CHL than now.

he is not eligible for the WJC because he turns 20 before jan 1. In the CHL- nhl agreement ineligibility is a big factor in team rights in choosing to send a player to the AHL vs having to send him back to the CHL.

this will come out next year with Savoie having his birthday on Jan 2 making him wjc eligible And CHL having his control for 23/24 season unless Buffalo has him on their 23 man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad