Prospect Info: Tyson Kozak, F (193rd overall, 2021) -- SIGNED to 3-year ELC

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Portland's season has come to a close with a game 7 lose to the Thunderbirds, going 2-3-5 in 10 playoff games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Do you think he will get offered an ELC this year too? He seems promising

I think he fits in with that, yes. I'm torn on putting him in Rochester even though he turns 20 before Dec. 31st so he's eligible. He was strong this year, but I'd like to see him dominate offensively. Lots to like about his game - scrappy, prickly worker bee.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Fantastic news, and it was inevitable.

@dotcommunism Question.

Nadeau, Bloom, Ostlund, Savoie, and Kozak, all ELCs, all either in Europe or the CHL. Is there a ELC slide cap we have to worry about? My spreadsheeting seems to imply there's only 3 slots, but I might be using old/wrong info.

Reactions: elchud

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Dude. SIX PLAYERS out of 2021 already under pro contracts. That is incredible! Scouting department is killing it.
9 players under the age of 20 signed also, and 2 more that are 20 on the nose. I can't recall if the Sabres have ever had that many prospects signed who were all that young. It seems like far more than normal.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Fantastic news, and it was inevitable.

@dotcommunism Question.

Nadeau, Bloom, Ostlund, Savoie, and Kozak, all ELCs, all either in Europe or the CHL. Is there a ELC slide cap we have to worry about? My spreadsheeting seems to imply there's only 3 slots, but I might be using old/wrong info.
1) No there is no cap on the number of players who can have their ELC slide.
2) Kozak is not eligible to have his ELC slide as he is too old. Players who sign at 19 (as of September 15 of the year of signing), but turn 20 before the end of that year are not eligible for an ELC slide.
3) Kozak is able to play in the AHL.
4) As far as the 50 contract limit goes, there are also no limits, at least in the CBA, on the number of players that a team can have signed that do not count against the limit.
5) The only signed players who do not count against the 50 contract limit are players who: a) are 18 or 19 [note: this is one area where the CBA is more vague than it should be, as player age is not defined in Article 1, and also is defined differently in different articles of the CBA], b) have been returned to juniors and c) have not played 11 NHL games in one season.
6) Per point a) above and its vagueries, it is not 100% clear whether Kozak would be exempt from the 50 contract limit if he were returned to juniors. However, my personal interpretation is that he would not be, as the exemption rules seem to refer to the ELC slide, which does not apply to players of Kozak's age.
7) As a larger point, as the CBA is written at least, the only players under contract who do not count against the 50 contract limit are those who have been returned to juniors (which is a term that is defined in Article 1 of the CBA, and specifically refers to the CHL). As such, any players who would otherwise not count against the 50 contract limit do in fact count if they are playing in Europe, or in the AHL. Along the same lines, a slide eligible player who is playing in the NHL counts against the 50 contract limit unless or until he has been returned to Juniors (provided he has not played 11 or more NHL games in that, or the previous, season).
8) Regarding the proceeding point, however, I would note that the strict text of the CBA does not always reflect how it works in practice. There are numerous points in the CBA where the wording is somewhat vague, and others where the text of the CBA seems to be disregarded altogether (such as the LTIR rules). It is possible, therefore, that players could be exempt from the 50 contract limit even if they play in Europe (CapFriendly seems to think so at least), although I would be very surprised if the same were the case for anyone playing in the AHL (whom CapFriendly also seems to think can be exempt).
9) That said, per the CBA itself, anyone playing in the AHL or Europe, while party to an NHL SPC, counts against the 50 contract limit, even if they would otherwise be exempt, and even if they are eligible to have their ELC slide.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
1) No there is no cap on the number of players who can have their ELC slide.
2) Kozak is not eligible to have his ELC slide as he is too old. Players who sign at 19 (as of September 15 of the year of signing), but turn 20 before the end of that year are not eligible for an ELC slide.
3) Kozak is able to play in the AHL.
4) As far as the 50 contract limit goes, there are also no limits, at least in the CBA, on the number of players that a team can have signed that do not count against the limit.
5) The only signed players who do not count against the 50 contract limit are players who: a) are 18 or 19 [note: this is one area where the CBA is more vague than it should be, as player age is not defined in Article 1, and also is defined differently in different articles of the CBA], b) have been returned to juniors and c) have not played 11 NHL games in one season.
6) Per point a) above and its vagueries, it is not 100% clear whether Kozak would be exempt from the 50 contract limit if he were returned to juniors. However, my personal interpretation is that he would not be, as the exemption rules seem to refer to the ELC slide, which does not apply to players of Kozak's age.
7) As a larger point, as the CBA is written at least, the only players under contract who do not count against the 50 contract limit are those who have been returned to juniors (which is a term that is defined in Article 1 of the CBA, and specifically refers to the CHL). As such, any players who would otherwise not count against the 50 contract limit do in fact count if they are playing in Europe, or in the AHL. Along the same lines, a slide eligible player who is playing in the NHL counts against the 50 contract limit unless or until he has been returned to Juniors (provided he has not played 11 or more NHL games in that, or the previous, season).
8) Regarding the proceeding point, however, I would note that the strict text of the CBA does not always reflect how it works in practice. There are numerous points in the CBA where the wording is somewhat vague, and others where the text of the CBA seems to be disregarded altogether (such as the LTIR rules). It is possible, therefore, that players could be exempt from the 50 contract limit even if they play in Europe (CapFriendly seems to think so at least), although I would be very surprised if the same were the case for anyone playing in the AHL (whom CapFriendly also seems to think can be exempt).
9) That said, per the CBA itself, anyone playing in the AHL or Europe, while party to an NHL SPC, counts against the 50 contract limit, even if they would otherwise be exempt, and even if they are eligible to have their ELC slide.
I knew I came to the best. Thanks man.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Dude. SIX PLAYERS out of 2021 already under pro contracts. That is incredible! Scouting department is killing it.
Might not be done with Paltapov, Sardarian, WVLB, Marjala and Novikov mostly looking good and in position to be successful. Still lots of talent and promise.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Well…Poltapov is signed in the KHL through 2025 so don’t worry about him for a while. Sardarian is starting college this year so don’t worry about him for at least as long.

Novikov is only signed through this year and it would be a good thing to get him signed but the KHL will surely push him for another contract.

The other two…you can sign whenever. But I don’t know how they feel about them Whereas Poltapov and Novikov they’d sign as soon as they can if they’ll sign. Baker is high on both of them which is largely what we have to go on unfortunately

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Well…Poltapov is signed in the KHL through 2025 so don’t worry about him for a while. Sardarian is starting college this year so don’t worry about him for at least as long.

Novikov is only signed through this year and it would be a good thing to get him signed but the KHL will surely push him for another contract.

The other two…you can sign whenever. But I don’t know how they feel about them Whereas Poltapov and Novikov they’d sign as soon as they can if they’ll sign. Baker is high on both of them which is largely what we have to go on unfortunately
Yes sir. And for reference, Marjala is in the CHL so there's flexibility there and WVLB is in the SHL Malmo on the last year of his contract.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That Kozak drove to the far post rather than settle for the short-side shot was a sign of his fearlessness, Appert said.

"Because this is big boy hockey and sometimes you take pucks to the back post and you get lit up," Appert said. "And I had no doubt that he was going to take that to the back post."

:thumbu:

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad