Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's not that hard to get skating to an acceptable level if you have a professional attitude towards it. You'd have to be quite bad at it as a draft eligible player for me to worry about it.

Hockey IQ and effort also makes a big difference in how a player is able to cover ice.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sounds like O'Reilly.

Someone made a comment about him possibly growing over the next year. You kind of forget that it's still a possibility with some of these kids. Especially the ones who clearly still look like kids.

If that kid puts on another 15lbs, and an inch or so he'll be pretty much the same size as O'Reilly as well.

As long as it's muscle and not Bleakley or McGinn style 15lbs lol.

You're never gonna have to worry about this kid's dedication. He'll always be in shape, and he'll pack on some more lean muscle by the time he turns pro.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He seems pretty excited about following Toews' footsteps and going the North Dakota route.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You're never gonna have to worry about this kid's dedication. He'll always be in shape, and he'll pack on some more lean muscle by the time he turns pro.

I know, but it's like an itch you have to scratch every time you talk about one of our players gaining weight now lol.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Sounds like O'Reilly.

Someone made a comment about him possibly growing over the next year. You kind of forget that it's still a possibility with some of these kids. Especially the ones who clearly still look like kids.

If that kid puts on another 15lbs, and an inch or so he'll be pretty much the same size as O'Reilly as well.

As long as it's muscle and not Bleakley or McGinn style 15lbs lol.

A player with Jost's attitude, I'm not at all concerned about him getting out of shape or getting fat.

I think a year of college athletics would be good for him. High end programs keep their athletes on pretty strict diets and weight lifting routines. He could easily put on another 15 lbs of muscle, and at 18 he could easily grow an inch or two still. I think at the end of the day he'll probably be around 6' 1" 205 when he matures which is a good size for the NHL.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Haven't surfed too much here lately but took the time to read this thread and the real-time draft thread.

People REALLY need to take a step back on both the Bleackley comparisons and the skating concerns. His skating is just fine. I really don't see him as a 3/5 skater. He's more like a 4, if not a bit more. He's a bit hunched but his legs seem rather long for his height and he's both powerful and agile on his edges. Watch some of his highlights from the U18's, he has pull-away speed on some of his chances in the clips. As for Bleackley, they're same in the sense that they were 200 foot players with grit and leadership. That's about where the comparisons end. Jost is twice as skilled and three times as smart.

I had the chance to watch him at last year's World Junior A Challenge, where he was 1 of only a couple 16 year olds at the event. He was a stud. Here's what I wrote back in December 2014:

He was fantastic in this game, as I fully expected him to be. He scored a goal on his very first shift, walking over the blueline and wiring a low, hard wrister through the goalies legs to make it 1-0. His skating is great. He’s not tall but he’s thick and seems like a powerful kid. To go along with that speed and ability to skate, he has a lot of finesse in his game. He was great along the cycle and in small areas. He made some smart area passes including having the understanding of where to put pucks in order for his linemates to receive them and succeed. He was a constant threat all game and saw time in all situations. A very impressive showing for such a young kid in this event. Him and Fabbro are the first 16 year olds to play in this event since Jaden Schwartz did. This kid is going to be special. Hopefully this summer he decides to head to the WHL and play for Everett. The 1998 class out west is shaping up to be fantastic and Jost is right in that mix with guys like Benson, Patrick, Clague and Steel. He should be a top 10 pick in 2016, if not higher, if things continue this way for him.

He's done nothing but improve since then, either.

To me, he's basically the centre version of a guy like Parise. Somewhat undersized but gritty, smart and skilled. I think he'll be a guy that can play both C and LW, kill penalties and play in a few different spots on the PP. I expect to see him in the NCAA for a year, AHL for part of a year and then the NHL after that. He's technically AHL eligible right now and he's probably ready for that, but there's no rush.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He can, anyone not drafted from the CHL can. I think they'll have him go to college for the year, after that we'll see.

In general I don't like ROR as a comparison to anyone. He has very much a unique skillset that I don't think many match. Plus there's a big difference on if you are talking about him as a prospect vs. a NHL player since his game has changed a pretty big amount between those two points. Anyone that is good defensively is said to be O'Reilly but there's a lot of different ways to be good defensively. I don't think of Jost as a defensive center, he's an offensive center who is good defensively.

That is true,

I like the Parise comparison as well. Not sure about Toews, because when you talk about Toews, you usually are not actually talking about how Toews actually plays these days, it's usually some fantasy version of him that people have in their heads.

Parise is a bit of a Compher/Duchene mix.

Edit : The BLEACKLEY comment was just some light trolling, damn!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In general I don't like ROR as a comparison to anyone. He has very much a unique skillset that I don't think many match. Plus there's a big difference on if you are talking about him as a prospect vs. a NHL player since his game has changed a pretty big amount between those two points. Anyone that is good defensively is said to be O'Reilly but there's a lot of different ways to be good defensively. I don't think of Jost as a defensive center, he's an offensive center who is good defensively.

Agreed. I don't think he plays the same style as ROR at all. He has ROR's high compete level, and dedication to being the best player he can possibly be, but they are different players.

I always say this, but Jost always seems like a dead ringer for Parise/Pavelski at center ice. Though I think he would look great on the wing too. Like ROR though, he might get so good at the little details, and faceoffs, it might be hard to shift him away from center though.

Between Mikko and Jost, the Avs have really added a lot of character, compete, and an all around game in their top six the last two drafts at #10.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed. I don't think he plays the same style as ROR at all. He has ROR's high compete level, and dedication to being the best player he can possibly be, but they are different players.

I always say this, but Jost always seems like a dead ringer for Parise/Pavelski at center ice. Though I think he would look great on the wing too. Like ROR though, he might get so good at the little details, and faceoffs, it might be hard to shift him away from center though.

Between Mikko and Jost, the Avs have really added a lot of character, compete, and an all around game in their top six the last two drafts at #10.

Intelligent players...

Mikko/Jost are like Apollo, and MacKinnon is like Rocky lol

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
leaf fan coming in peace. Also from penticton, so I watched jost play here the past couple years. Was not surprised by his performance at the u18's. He played that way every night. Personally thought he'd be an improvent over tkachuck all year on marner's line for the London knights. You guys got an absolute steal. He's a very complete player. I watched this draft very closely with all our (leafs) picks and having two first rounders in my backyard.
I think he will be a top 5 talent in this draft, maybe even top 3 when all is said and done. Proud to say I projected he would go to you guys at 10 in my mock. Congrats.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
leaf fan coming in peace. Also from penticton, so I watched jost play here the past couple years. Was not surprised by his performance at the u18's. He played that way every night. Personally thought he'd be an improvent over tkachuck all year on marner's line for the London knights. You guys got an absolute steal. He's a very complete player. I watched this draft very closely with all our (leafs) picks and having two first rounders in my backyard.
I think he will be a top 5 talent in this draft, maybe even top 3 when all is said and done. Proud to say I projected he would go to you guys at 10 in my mock. Congrats.

I'm happy about this pick. He's kind of like an O'Reilly, Parise, old school Brind'Amour mix.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He seems pretty excited about following Toews' footsteps and going the North Dakota route.

Toews was obsessed with Sakic and Jost is obsessed with Toews. Now Jost plays for Sakic and the Avs. It comes full circle.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'm a big fan of this kid. I never dared to think we would take him over 6'6" Brown. He's definitely the more skilled player, and great in all facets of the game. I'm still not sure how to feel because strategically a 6'6" top 6 pivot would provide an element in today's NHL that the Avs have been sorely lacking. But this kid is damn good, and who knows what our team will look like in 3-4 years when he cracks the roster.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Tyson's grandpa's reaction has to be one of the best emotional moments in a draft I've seen. He was so happy for him. That was awesome.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Just wanted to mention to everyone to look at what scouts said about Sakic pre draft.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm not sure it's a guarantee that he goes to ND. I heard somewhere he can play in the AHL as well.

I personally think it would be better for him to go the college route, but if the Avs want to keep a closer eye on him they could sign him and put him in the AHL.

The Fighting Holocaust Deniers will play two games in Colorado next season anyway.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
10. Joe Sakic, C (QUE, 15th overall - 1,378 NHL games)

"'He doesn't have much quickness...'"
"Usually, a player of this calibre would be certain to go in the top five. The reason he probably won't is his size and average skating ability."

I can't find the video but I have seen it. Sounds very similiar to what was said about Jost.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
10. Joe Sakic, C (QUE, 15th overall - 1,378 NHL games)

"'He doesn't have much quickness...'"
"Usually, a player of this calibre would be certain to go in the top five. The reason he probably won't is his size and average skating ability."

I can't find the video but I have seen it. Sounds very similiar to what was said about Jost.

Well good luck to him even touching Sakic as a comparison, last one to get 'Sakic' as a comparable is RNH, and look how that turned out. The NHL/Draft as a whole is so different now IMO.

Interesting quote though, thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad