Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pronman's scouting report:

He doesn't seem to have questions about his skating like some others.

Well, he might have different parts of his skating which are strength and others which still needs improvement. Kind of like how his agility looks good, but perhaps increasing his acceleration is something that needs work for the pros. If anyone saw the U18 or the highlights on the first post, he isn't a bad skater, he's able to catch up and all of that. But as people get confused with Letang's average defensive game being covered up by his physicality, the same situation might affect Jost's as well. Specifically in terms of his motoring ability where he's all over the ice due to his good hockey intelligence and on ice awareness. CGF, he does seem like a more talented version of Compher, who both share characteristics to Toews and Parise.

Way different players bud.

Bleackley U-18:
7GP 1G 1A 2PTS

Jost U-18(Captain):
7GP 6G 9A 15PTS
Too much of a small sample size against weaker competition to say that Jost is way better. IMO he is, but it's not just because he had a better U18 than Connor. Not trying to discredit Jost's contribution here, but they did lose to Sweden and did get trashed in the Bronze Medal game. It was a bad result for Canada in the U18 with him at Captain.

Last edited by a moderator:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Well, he might have different parts of his skating which are strength and others which still needs improvement. Kind of like how his agility looks good, but perhaps increasing his acceleration is something that needs work for the pros. If anyone saw the U18 or the highlights on the first post, he isn't a bad skater, he's able to catch up and all of that. But as people get confused with Letang's average defensive game being covered up by his physicality, the same situation might affect Jost's as well. Specifically in terms of his motoring ability where he's all over the ice due to his good hockey intelligence and on ice awareness. CGF, he does seem like a more talented version of Compher, who both share characteristics to Toews and Parise.

Posters can say "this" how many times they want, if you don't like it, leave or put it on ignore list.

Too much of a small sample size against weaker competition to say that Jost is way better. IMO he is, but it's not just because he had a better U18 than Connor. Not trying to discredit Jost's contribution here, but they did lose to Sweden and did get trashed on the Bronze Medal game. It was a bad result for Canada in the U18 with him at Captain.

Well you kinda just did belittle his performance. He put together one of the most incredible u18s ever, the results were in no way related to what he did. If anything he was the only reason they even made it as far as they did. He did everything he could to get the job done. The rest of the team underwhelmed.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Well you kinda just did belittle his performance. He put together one of the most incredible u18s ever, the results were in no way related to what he did. If anything he was the only reason they even made it as far as they did. He did everything he could to get the job done. The rest of the team underwhelmed.
I still love this pick, but I am trying to discredit this draft as a whole than just targeting him as a player. True that hockey is a team sport and teams win and lose, but IMO I don't see him becoming anything except an average 2nd liner or fantastic 3rd line (which of course helps this club).

Last edited by a moderator:

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Watched Jost every home game I could this year. He's going to be great. On mobile so I won't post a full summary.

His skating isn't an issue. It seems that unless a guy has MacKinnon/McDavid speed, their skating recieves very little praise.

He really reminds me of O'Reilly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
With the way the draft shook out, I am very happy with this pick.

It was between Brown and Jost for me at #10, and I didn't care which one we took as long as it was one of them at that point. Super happy with Jost and excited to see what his future holds with the Avs. Obviously he wont be with the Avs next year with his commitment to UND, but in a couple of years he could absolutely be another O'reilly for us, which is exciting to think about.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I like Jost, damn did our draft board get et alive before 10!

A bit jarring after the last Avs, Broncos and two Nuggets drafts where a prospect I was covetous of made it to the local team.

I hope the Avs sign Jost halfway through the season and cripple NoDak.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I dont get the knock on his skating. It honestly looks fine to me. Some people made it seem like his skating was Peter Worrel bad.

It's fine, just nothing special. It has room to improve, but given his competitive nature, I expect him to work on that and make strides (so to speak :sarcasm: )

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's fine, just nothing special. It has room to improve, but given his competitive nature, I expect him to work on that and make strides (so to speak :sarcasm: )

If he has the same will to dominate like ROR did im sure he has already been working on that skating. ROR's skating improvement from his rookie year to his sophomore year was amazing. Jost skating doesnt look bad at all though. I was somewhat worried and then I remembered him literally being everywhere at the U18 tourney. I kept hearing his name but that was in December and well the Avs tend to lead me straight to the liquor i mustve forgotten about Jost.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
With the way the draft shook out, I am very happy with this pick.

It was between Brown and Jost for me at #10, and I didn't care which one we took as long as it was one of them at that point. Super happy with Jost and excited to see what his future holds with the Avs. Obviously he wont be with the Avs next year with his commitment to UND, but in a couple of years he could absolutely be another O'reilly for us, which is exciting to think about.

I'm not sure it's a guarantee that he goes to ND. I heard somewhere he can play in the AHL as well.

I personally think it would be better for him to go the college route, but if the Avs want to keep a closer eye on him they could sign him and put him in the AHL.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Something I haven't seen mentioned much, but this kid is gonna take the Avs PP on his back and turn it into a top 10 unit down the line. Very heady, quick decisive puck movement, always keeps his feet moving, competes like crazy, digs in the corners, goes to the net, plays the half wall, snaps cross ice passes, reads plays very well, one times shots with precision in the slot.

The Avs don't really have a great PP QB, but I think Jost will be that guy for them. Not a pure playmaker, but a guy that drives the action, and keeps the PK on it's heels. Someone who just seizes the moment in those big game breaking PP's the Avs keep coming short on.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Been thinking he's kinda a cross between Duchene and Compher.

Sounds like O'Reilly.

Someone made a comment about him possibly growing over the next year. You kind of forget that it's still a possibility with some of these kids. Especially the ones who clearly still look like kids.

If that kid puts on another 15lbs, and an inch or so he'll be pretty much the same size as O'Reilly as well.

As long as it's muscle and not Bleakley or McGinn style 15lbs lol.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not sure it's a guarantee that he goes to ND. I heard somewhere he can play in the AHL as well.

I personally think it would be better for him to go the college route, but if the Avs want to keep a closer eye on him they could sign him and put him in the AHL.

He can, anyone not drafted from the CHL can. I think they'll have him go to college for the year, after that we'll see.

Sounds like O'Reilly.

In general I don't like ROR as a comparison to anyone. He has very much a unique skillset that I don't think many match. Plus there's a big difference on if you are talking about him as a prospect vs. a NHL player since his game has changed a pretty big amount between those two points. Anyone that is good defensively is said to be O'Reilly but there's a lot of different ways to be good defensively. I don't think of Jost as a defensive center, he's an offensive center who is good defensively.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad