Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I'll leave this here as well:

Best part of Jost...the way he already seems to be a big-game player. The question with BCHL guys is always "how good is his competition?" Well, look at his resume this year with the best of his age group:

Hlinka: Gold Medal, 3 goals in 4 games
U18 WJC: Captain of Team Canada, 15 points in 7 games, tournament "Best Forward"
World Jr A Tourney: Captain of Canada West, 9 points in 4 games, Gold Medal, tournament MVP

He's got "it". There is no doubt about it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
"Clutchness" is such an elusive statistic. It'll be interesting to see how that develops and whether that translates to the NHL.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
57m
Nathan Mackinnon‏ @Mackinnon9
@josty_17 Welcome bro !! Looking forward to snapping it on the pp with you!

23m
Matt Duchene‏ @Matt9Duchene
Welcome @josty_17 !!

53m
Gabriel Landeskog‏ @GabeLandeskog92
Welcome @josty_17

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Just like Rants last year, Avs get the guy I ended up wanting most of the likely candidates.

Pretty excited about this group of MacK, Landy, Rants, Compher, and Jost as key parts of our top 9 in a couple years

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Just like Rants last year, Avs get the guy I ended up wanting most of the likely candidates.

Pretty excited about this group of MacK, Landy, Rants, Compher, and Jost as key parts of our top 9 in a couple years

left someone out :popcorn:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Sounds like a great group of core forwards. :D

This kid sounds amazing. What's the downside here? What was the risk in taking him earlier? Limited upside?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sounds like a great group of core forwards. :D

This kid sounds amazing. What's the downside here? What was the risk in taking him earlier? Limited upside?

His offensive upside is still a little questionable, and as previously stated his skating needs work. But he's a very safe, high floor kind of pick for us.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pronman's scouting report:

Jost was simply fantastic this season, putting up huge numbers for a 17-year-old in the BCHL, even when you adjust for its lesser league quality. He is a dynamic, athletic center with decent off-the-puck skills as well. Jost is one of the better skaters in his draft class, with an easy, explosive stride whose first few steps will be able to evade NHL checkers. He's a highly-skilled puck handler who can execute high-difficulty plays in tight spaces, as well as make above-average passes.

Jost's defensive play has shown significant improvement during this season. I didn't love his defensive positioning last year, but by the world under-18 championship in the spring, he was arguably Canada's best defensive forward. Bigger players can muscle him off pucks too easily at times. However, Jost does work his tail off, often being one of the hardest working players on the ice on top of being one of the most skilled. He has committed to the University of North Dakota for next season.

He doesn't seem to have questions about his skating like some others.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I don't like that we hear the exact same things about Jost than what we were hearing after the Bleackley pick. Almost word for word (great leadership, 2-way center, not the best skater, etc). I'm about as underwhelmed as I was back then TBH. We'll see.

Way different players bud.

Bleackley U-18:
7GP 1G 1A 2PTS

Jost U-18(Captain):
7GP 6G 9A 15PTS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Avs needed a give it your all, winner's attitude in a skill player, and they got one. Very happy with this pick.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
He's definitely different than any other prospect or young player we have so that's a bonus as well.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Way different players bud.

Bleackley U-18:
7GP 1G 1A 2PTS

Jost U-18(Captain):
7GP 6G 9A 15PTS

This x1000. Bleackley and Jost are not even on the same planet.

Bleackley always had question marks about his offensive game. Jost just put up the highest point per game average in the BCHL in 6 years. Not to mention also just broke McDavid's u18 scoring record.

The players might have similar attributes like 2-way player etc. but Bleackley doesn't hold a flame to Jost's offensive abilities and hockey IQ.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Anyone who watched the u18 knows what kind of big time player Jost is. With all the talent on team canada he was the center of that team (literally too).

This. Jost was the captain and best player on team Canada for the u18s, which is incredibly impressive.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rantanen, Jost, Compher, Greer, Beaudin and Nantel. Nice to see we're bring through some smart, talented, and tenacious forwards.

Am I wrong to think of Jost as a rich man's JTC, only with more goals in him?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Rantanen, Jost, Compher, Greer, Beaudin and Nantel. Nice to see we're bring through some smart, talented, and tenacious forwards.

Am I wrong to think of Jost as a rich man's JTC, only with more goals in him?
No you are not wrong. It's a good comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad