TOTAL GP PREVIOUS 3 SEASONS:217
CLEARED WAIVERS LAST SEASON:No

QUALIFYING OFFER TYPE:One-Way​

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

“It’s something I really want to be a part of,” Jost said. “I’ve stressed that before, and I just want to make that known that I want to be part of this group. It’s a special group, and there’s just so much potential in this locker room. I really see us making strides in the future, and we’ve done it this year, too. It’s something I really want to be a part of, and I want to end up calling this home, and hopefully I can find a home here.”

I wonder if they can get him to sign something like three years at $1.5M rather than his QO or more?

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I wonder if they can get him to sign something like three years at $1.5M rather than his QO or more?
We have so many more potential players than roster spots. Its going to be harder for some people on this board, to emotionally handle the need to be more discriminating in choosing. (Not directed at you @Chainshot)

For 12 years we have had a team carrying 4-8 pieces of dead wood every year, so a player like Jost we would be all over trying to retain, but now we are finally starting to burn off the dead wood and are running out of roster spots. Jost could be one of the first victoms of this. He has a great attirude, works hard, was a 1st round pick, wants to be here. However, he is a slightly undersized, bottom six, 20-25 pt center, that has a terrible faceoff percentage. He just is not effective enough at what we need in a 4th line center to justify keeping him. I think we can do better in that role from the UFA pool.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
110% agree. Jost would be a great 13th forward.
Would you prefer Jost? Or leaving that spot to be rotational with Rochester guys like Rousek getting NHL development time. We left no room for that this year. Got to leave that opportunity as incentive for Rochester guys to earn NHL time. Like if you have to pick Jost or giving time to Rousek/Murrey/Biro/Weissbach etc.

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021
I hope they give him a couple years around 1.5m, in a worse scenario he gets the Hino treatment and is an injury replacement. He brings value as he can slide around multiple lines and won't hurt you
Hino>Jost. Jost is terrible at faceoffs. Hino provides slightly more offense and is more versitile which is what you want in 13th guy I would think. I don’t think Jost is as good in a top 6 role if that were needed. Plus you could have Hino @ $1m probably.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hino>Jost. Jost is terrible at faceoffs. Hino provides slightly more offense and is more versitile which is what you want in 13th guy I would think. I don’t think Jost is as good in a top 6 role if that were needed. Plus you could have Hino @ $1m probably.

Hino's terrible at defense and avoids traffic and the front of the net like it's contagious. Jost is adequate at defense and looks to take himself and the puck to the net even if he gets hit along the way.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Hino's terrible at defense and avoids traffic and the front of the net like it's contagious. Jost is adequate at defense and looks to take himself and the puck to the net even if he gets hit along the way.
I like Hino. I thought he'd be a good 13th forward, but he's better in the AHL as a leader. He's usually pretty good for 5 games a year, but a 13th forward is going to play more than 5 games a year, and Jost has proven that he's, at the very least, a forward that goes to the dirty areas and, at best, a forward that goes to the dirty areas while also putting up points. Those players can play all over the line-up in a pinch. It's also an advantage that Jost can play wing or center. I dont want to even think what Hino would look like at center.

It's just, Hino will slot in due to injuries and look useful, then after a game or two is back to being pretty useless. I do like his speed, though.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I like Jost but my gut tells me he doesn't fit in the top 12. He isn't good enough for the top 9 and he doesn't have the tools for a 4th line player.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
plus hino was never happy that he couldnt get a roster spot, no chance he subjects himself to it again, but im also not qualifying jost 2+mil to be my press box guy

Would you prefer Jost? Or leaving that spot to be rotational with Rochester guys like Rousek getting NHL development time. We left no room for that this year. Got to leave that opportunity as incentive for Rochester guys to earn NHL time. Like if you have to pick Jost or giving time to Rousek/Murrey/Biro/Weissbach etc.
theres enough kids on this roster without also reserving spots for ones that arent ready, a year in rochester wont kill anyone

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like Hino. He's usually good for 5 games a year, but a 13th forward is going to play more than 5 games a year, and Jost has proven that he's, at the very least, a forward that goes to the dirty areas and, at best, a forward that goes to the dirty areas while also putting up points. Those players can play all over the line-up in a pinch. It's also an advantage that Jost can play wing or center. I dont want to even think what Hino would look like at center.

I think Hino's a good dude who is well liked and has some skills as a skating puck transition winger that worked in 21-22 with Cozens in particular. But I also see the limitations in the player that don't fit any longer. Not saying Jost is the replacement but if the choice is either or, I'll take the one who can find his own zone and is willing to take or give a hit to get to the net over the guy who is taking daisy curls to the half-wall on every rush.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
2x1.75. Gives him a small boost and an additional year.

Gives us roster flexibility and the ability to move him easily or work another deal in 2 more years

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There was a before-and-after of Evolving Hockey's RAPM snapshot for Jost that peaked a few weeks ago but the left hand one is when he arrived, the one on the right how he ended the season.

1681685317995.png
1681685112308.png

Attachments

• JostBeforeAndAfter.png
    JostBeforeAndAfter.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 4

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Toward the end. I thought I read he may have been dealing with an injury, but it may have just been speculation on the forum.

We thought he might have been but Granato commented in a press huddle that Jost was okay on like the second game out of the lineup.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like that they pulled a waiver claim who had use, that was better here than he had been in Minny, that he helped get the third line rolling in January. He goes into traffic like few of their other smallish forwards, which may be due to knowing how close he is to losing his meal ticket in the NHL and heading back to riding the bus in the AHL or playing out the string in Europe.

His QO though seems too high for what he brought and yes, he is right on the fringe of the team and should be worried that they may replace him from within. I've thought maybe a 2-year deal at $1.5M and have him as the 13/14, almost like the Hinostroza role as designated scratch. Some of it is going to be what they want to do with what was their third line (Gus/Krebs/Okposo) and misfit line (Mitts/Krebs/Vic/Jost/Peterka/Quinn). I'm just not sure he's here.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
We have so many more potential players than roster spots. Its going to be harder for some people on this board, to emotionally handle the need to be more discriminating in choosing. (Not directed at you @Chainshot)

For 12 years we have had a team carrying 4-8 pieces of dead wood every year, so a player like Jost we would be all over trying to retain, but now we are finally starting to burn off the dead wood and are running out of roster spots. Jost could be one of the first victoms of this. He has a great attirude, works hard, was a 1st round pick, wants to be here. However, he is a slightly undersized, bottom six, 20-25 pt center, that has a terrible faceoff percentage. He just is not effective enough at what we need in a 4th line center to justify keeping him. I think we can do better in that role from the UFA pool.

Agreed 100 percent. I like Jost more than the countless borderline guys we've had in that role over the past few years, but if he's holding a spot that bottlenecks Krebs or (down the road) Kulich /Ostlund from getting meaningful minutes then it's hard to justify keeping him.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I like Jost, but I think realistically you can only bring back 1 of Jost, Girgensons, and Okposo. You can't run this same bottom 6 back and hope for different results.
I don't agree. Jost is a great 13th forward. Girgensons work well on the 4th line.

If you let Okposo go and trade Olofsson you have changed 33% of the bottom six. If Kulich gets promoted (and Jost waived) later in the season you've changed 50%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad