Player Discussion Tyson Jost [claimed off waivers from Minnesota]

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I'm a big advocate of toughness and sandpaper, but Reaves is terrible at hockey.

we have zero toughness or sandpaper currently, however.

Far too may people fall into the trap of thinking the best team is the correction of the most talented players. The best team is one where a sum of the different parts provides for all different aspects of the game

Reactions: Bendium

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
we have zero toughness or sandpaper currently, however.

Far too may people fall into the trap of thinking the best team is the correction of the most talented players. The best team is one where a sum of the different parts provides for all different aspects of the game

Yeah I get it, you need role players and complimentary pieces, I'm not a 13-year old than plays NHL franchise mode (that's a low-key shot at my son btw :laugh:).

I've been advocating for a heavier, energy-type line for a decade now. But even those pieces need to be able to play hockey. Reaves can't. He's objectively worse at hockey than Deslauriers, who some fans here labeled as the worst player in the league.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I'm a big advocate of toughness and sandpaper, but Reaves is terrible at hockey.
Not that it is always a direct corralation, but size helps as well. Just looked up NHL teams by their size:

Elite Prospects - Team Comparison in NHL

Only 2 of the top ten heaviest team are not currently in the playoffs. Three of the top 4 are division leaders, with the heaviest team being Tampa Bay. The Sabres are 10 lbs lighter PER MAN than Tampa. That means every minute of the game they have 50lbs less hockey player on the ice than Tampa does. That will have a negative effect on the lighter team over time on average.

The Sabres are currently 22nd. The vast majority of our higher draft picks the last few years have been on the smaller side. We will end up having to make trades to get more size and grit on the roster.

Reactions: DJN21

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
When we played the Jets last week I noticed all game how much bigger they looked, so I looked them up, and they only have 3 players under 6 foot, and only 3 players under 190 lbs. We have 6 players under 6 ft and 7 players under 190. It makes a "sizable" difference!

See what I did there? :P

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
When we played the Jets last week I noticed all game how much bigger they looked, so I looked them up, and they only have 3 players under 6 foot, and only 3 players under 190 lbs. We have 6 players under 6 ft and 7 players under 190. It makes a "sizable" difference!

See what I did there? :P
I agree that teams need some size to win. But their goalie was the difference, not the size of them.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Was randomly looking at his career #s and saw 12 G and 26 points is his career high. This season he has 4 G 8A for 12P in 29 games played with Buffalo. With how he came in and completely solidified the 3rd line, he can easily beat that...

Really amazing what Jost has added to our lineup. Gotta tip my cap to KA for taking a flyer on him.

Last edited:

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Adam’s has done an admirable job as the general manager of this team and for the first time in 11 years since the suffering began , I finally have hope we are destined for greatness

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Mitts-Jost-Olof went from the line that had 2 (justifiably) guys who needed to see the press box, to a line right with 28-19-21 in terms of how good I feel when they're in the dzone.

Tage line will always be high action in both zones, especially with Skinner. The kid line is still finding it's footing, and I think Peterka/Quinn are hitting something of a rookie wall.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Jost has been solid and he seems to be a good fit with team chemistry. Weird to see a lot of folks arguing to not qualify him this offseason because of his QO is likely higher than his market value.

The team has loads of cap space for the next two seasons. I don't think there should be any concerned about overpaying a guy that fits as well as Jost has fit with a 2.25M cap hit.

If Adams gives him a 2-3 year deal, he won't hurt future cap flexibility and they can see what he develops into - low risk, possible decent reward.

Reactions: Jacob582

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The only reason not to qualify him is because they’ve already signed him to an extension.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
From Twitter earlier today, not mine but it is where Jost is at today:

JostBeforeAndAfter.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad