Player Discussion Tyson Barrie

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
1 goal, 3 assists in 15 playoff games. A complete non factor, which is even more disappointing considering he should be playing like a madman versus his old team

By far the most dissappointing Oiler this playoff run

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
1 goal, 3 assists in 15 playoff games. A complete non factor, which is even more disappointing considering he should be playing like a madman versus his old team

Weird thing is that hes actually been not bad defensively since Woodcroft took over. Him and Kulak have been solid as a pairing. But 4 points in 15 playoff games is pretty bad for him, especially given his PP time. Although I do think that some of the PP is related to Draisaitl being less effective due to his injury (he cant shoot it like it normally does).

But yeah as poster said below, doesnt crack "most dissapointing" Oiler for me either.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I would gladly take a non factor Dman over guys like Nurse/Bouchard/Keith who certainly have been factors this series for COL.
He doesn't crack top list of 'most disappointing' Oilers for me

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I want to keep Barrie

Trading him is a good idea just because it would be simple. We'd get cap space and even a decent asset

The main feature is the cap space, which we sorely need. If Holland wants to earn his money he'd make several high cap issues further down the lineup disappear.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He's been one of our better D. He's somehow become a defensive defensman this playoffs... Wierd.
It's called Brett Kulak. In any case Barrie was fine this season overall at his price tag but we just can't have both him and Bouchard on the same team. That just doesn't work balance wise. He can likely be flipped to an offense/puck movement starved team for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Barrie was fine in sheltered minutes. That being said you shouldn't have to shelter someone you're paying 4.5.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Since people were all excited about the Zone exit graphic in the Kulak thread, here's another showing why the Oilers pay Barrie.

I’d like to know who the other “mystery” Oiler is that is near him on the graph. Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see a name

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Listening to a lot of Edmonton media the last few weeks, i am confused why many are wanting to move Tyson Barrie.

He moves the puck well, which is still an issue for many of the D on the team.
No Prospects are coming up on the Right side that will pass him.
Ceci has been solid and Bouchard is decent for his first full year.
I think he is signed for a reasonable contract at $ 4.5 AAV.
SH% is down from last year and on the lower end of his Career stats.

Moving him will create a big hole on the right side going forward.

Maybe its just me but i am not sure why moving him is the right move this off season.

Let me know what you think!
I agree.

I think he will also improve defensively under Woodcroft and Manson.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Gonna bet we are trying to move Barrie next summer after realizing we just paid a replacement level guy 4.5M to play on the 3rd pair. Might end up a buyout :( This summer was the last shot to move him before he lost the PP time.

Seattle would have been perfect, but they threw $3Mx2 at broken Justin Schultz on a prayer he can save their right side. You snooze you lose I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Gonna bet we are trying to move Barrie next summer after realizing we just paid a replacement level guy 4.5M to play on the 3rd pair. Might end up a buyout :( This summer was the last shot to move him before he lost the PP time.

Seattle would have been perfect, but they threw $3Mx2 at broken Justin Schultz on a prayer he can save their right side. You snooze you lose I guess.
Barrie a buyout????

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

9F673E55-753C-4CBB-A56D-38870D41CAC5.gif

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Barrie a buyout????

Doubt anyone takes him after a year of being mediocre on the 3rd pair. Only hope was swindling a team showing his PP stats (1st PP actually scored at a higher rate without him, but hopefully no one notices that). If Bouch takes that 1st PP spot, Barrie is pretty worthless in a trade next summer.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Doubt anyone takes him after a year of being mediocre on the 3rd pair. Only hope was swindling a team showing his PP stats (1st PP actually scored at a higher rate without him, but hopefully no one notices that). If Bouch takes that 1st PP spot, Barrie is pretty worthless in a trade next summer.
Buying out a 40-50 point D-man is insane. Not to mention one of the better break out passers in the league as pointed out like 5 posts up.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Buying out a 40-50 point D-man is insane. Not to mention one of the better break out passers in the league as pointed out like 5 posts up.

Let's see the points if he loses that PP spot and McDavid time 5v5. And his possession stats as well at ES. I don't think it's gonna be good is my view. Which is why I think this summer was the shot to trade him without having to add sweetener.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Let's see the points if he loses that PP spot and McDavid time 5v5. And his possession stats as well at ES. I don't think it's gonna be good is my view. Which is why I think this summer was the shot to trade him without having to add sweetener.

And why would Barrie lose the PP spot? They aren’t going to give the keys to the Ferrari to Bouchard this season just so he can pump his numbers for a fat contract

Barrie is flawed but he can produce and was steadier overall after Woody took over. He isn’t a cap dump and won’t be next off-season either

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Why would the best breakout passer on the team lose his time with McDavid?

Last edited:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Yeah, I dont think you have a real good sense of the value of a a point getting Dman on a reasonable contract.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
And why would Barrie lose the PP spot? They aren’t going to give the keys to the Ferrari to Bouchard this season just so he can pump his numbers for a fat contract

Barrie is flawed but he can produce and was steadier overall after Woody took over. He isn’t a cap dump and won’t be next off-season either

We are keeping Barrie just to keep Bouch from further developing his offensive game to weaken his contract negotiation position? I don't think Bouch's camp will like that, and doing it will be pretty obvious. So I guess get ready for Bouch to insist on bridge deals if we are trying to suppress his numbers at the detriment of the team.

Why would Barrie lose the PP spot in general? Because it actually scored at a higher rate with Nurse than him over the last couple years. He is just collecting points that anyone else could in that spot, and we have another player on the team that could actually add more to it with a huge bomb of a shot. Do we want to win a cup or not? Developing Bouch ASAP is IMO imperative to this team winning. If we are scared of his next deal, sign him to an extension now. He already destroyed Barrie in Even strength production though, might be looking at 6M min long term already. Similar to Nurse, the ES production is already enough for a big deal, PP time or no. Gifting Barrie PP time to keep Bouch from getting more points will probably just sour the negotiation.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Why would the best breakout passer on the team lose his time with McDavid?

Best breakout passer? This coming from a chart that says he makes 1 extra pass per 5 games that results in an exit than someone else? Might need to break that down for with/without McDavid time. Not sure he can pull that off with the McDavid time reduced.

In any case, even with the few extra % of successful zone exits, too bad that doesn't make up for poor defensive play. He has already dropped down the depth chart because we give up so much when he's out there. Likely penciled in already to have to play with a young guy on the 3rd pair, which could get pretty messy.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Best breakout passer? This coming from a chart that says he makes 1 extra pass per 5 games that results in an exit than someone else? Might need to break that down for with/without McDavid time. Not sure he can pull that off with the McDavid time reduced.

In any case, even with the few extra % of successful zone exits, too bad that doesn't make up for poor defensive play. He has already dropped down the depth chart because we give up so much when he's out there. Likely penciled in already to have to play with a young guy on the 3rd pair, which could get pretty messy.
He’s a valuable player. He’s put up points his whole career.

I don’t doubt he would be worse without PP time or playing time with McDavid. He was brought here to do those very things though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad