Player Discussion Tyson Barrie

MacTavish47

Mar 4, 2015
Listening to a lot of Edmonton media the last few weeks, i am confused why many are wanting to move Tyson Barrie.

He moves the puck well, which is still an issue for many of the D on the team.
No Prospects are coming up on the Right side that will pass him.
Ceci has been solid and Bouchard is decent for his first full year.
I think he is signed for a reasonable contract at $ 4.5 AAV.
SH% is down from last year and on the lower end of his Career stats.

Moving him will create a big hole on the right side going forward.

Maybe its just me but i am not sure why moving him is the right move this off season.

Let me know what you think!

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
He's one-dimensional and the team will need an upgrade in the top 4 in the offseason.
I didn't want Barrie back and would have preferred Larsson (if he had wanted to stay) or a similar defensive RD, but he has played much better defensively overall than I could have hoped.

I mean, imagine the d-corps this year with Bear instead of Barrie...

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I didn't want Barrie back and would have preferred Larsson (if he had wanted to stay) or a similar defensive RD, but he has played much better defensively overall than I could have hoped.

I mean, imagine the d-corps this year with Bear instead of Barrie...
I never minded Bear, and thought he made a decent pairing with Nurse. Nurse this year is a trainwreck half the time.

I actually think Barrie has been very good lately. 14 points and a + 7 in his last 20. Hard to ask for much more.

I do see him getting traded this summer though.
He's been fine but he's exactly the type of player that gets eaten alive come playoff time.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He's a one-dimensional player. You can't really play him in a top-four role because he needs to be sheltered defensively.

The Oilers will probably want to carve out cap space to re-sign guys like Puljujarvi, and Barrie is a logical trade candidate. Bouchard and Ceci are the pieces on the right-side.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I like Barrie and what he brings but with time, Bouchard is gonna be what Barrie is now just better defensively. If we can trade Barrie for a RH defensive dman with a slightly lower cap hit, you do that.

Oilers should also look at Leon Gawanke in WPG. Seems like he'd be a solid get for the 3rd pair/7th D role.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I never minded Bear, and thought he made a decent pairing with Nurse. Nurse this year is a trainwreck half the time.

When Nurse or Slavin aren't carrying him, Bear looks downright horrible defensively; he was easily the Oilers' worst Dman in back to back playoffs even when he played with Nurse. He has been healthy scratched multiple times in Carolina and hasn't improved in any facet defensively.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think the issue is everyone knows we need help on the backend and there isn't a ton of flexibility back there, especially if Kulak is re-signed. So that kind of leaves Barrie as the guy who could be potentially be dealt in order to find a better balance on the backend.

Who knows maybe Kulak and Barrie will develop a real good chemistry and they won't try upgrade the defense next year. I just think they'll be looking to add some more toughness to that back end and that Barrie is more than likely the piece leaving.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Moving Barrie has nothing to do with his play and everything to do with our composition on the back end. We need to get bigger and better defensively to support Nurse, Bouchard and Broberg to allow them to play their game.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Listening to a lot of Edmonton media the last few weeks, i am confused why many are wanting to move Tyson Barrie.

He moves the puck well, which is still an issue for many of the D on the team.
No Prospects are coming up on the Right side that will pass him.
Ceci has been solid and Bouchard is decent for his first full year.
I think he is signed for a reasonable contract at $ 4.5 AAV.
SH% is down from last year and on the lower end of his Career stats.

Moving him will create a big hole on the right side going forward.

Maybe its just me but i am not sure why moving him is the right move this off season.

Let me know what you think!
Because Bouchard is a similar style player and we need both cap space and a shut down defenseman.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
When Nurse or Slavin aren't carrying him, Bear looks downright horrible defensively; he was easily the Oilers' worst Dman in back to back playoffs even when he played with Nurse. He has been healthy scratched multiple times in Carolina and hasn't improved in any facet defensively.

What is your problem with Bear? He is way better than Foegele, etc. blah blah blah

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Moving Barrie has nothing to do with his play and everything to do with our composition on the back end. We need to get bigger and better defensively to support Nurse, Bouchard and Broberg to allow them to play their game.

I am almost to the point where I would keep Barrie and move Bouchard out for goalie help.

Then try again in 2022 for a young RHD. Bouchard will never be more than a second / third pairing RHD due to his defensive play.

MacTavish47

Mar 4, 2015
I do agree i see Bouchard taking over the PP, but he is just a rookie and we have seen over the last couple weeks he struggles to play defensively.
I think Barrie gets a poor rap defensively with his time in Toronto, i think he is better then that now especially since Woodcroft took over. But you have to have defencemen that can move the puck up to your forwards and not off the glass every time like Keith or Russell.
I am not a fan of how the defence is currently built. But i am not sure how to solve the D pairings in the future.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
What is your problem with Bear? He is way better than Foegele, etc. blah blah blah
I know that it's in poor taste to bring him up, but I still can't believe that some of our fans think that Bear and Barrie aren't at least equal defensively (personally, I think Barrie is better in the Dzone, especially under playoff pressure)

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I am almost to the point where I would keep Barrie and move Bouchard out for goalie help.

Then try again in 2022 for a young RHD. Bouchard will never be more than a second / third pairing RHD due to his defensive play.

So trade the young cost-controlled second/third pairing RHD and keep the old, expensive second/third pairing RHD?

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I like Barrie and what he brings but with time, Bouchard is gonna be what Barrie is now just better defensively. If we can trade Barrie for a RH defensive dman with a slightly lower cap hit, you do that.

Oilers should also look at Leon Gawanke in WPG. Seems like he'd be a solid get for the 3rd pair/7th D role.
Bouchard is terrible defensively. Even Barrie is better. Definitely a team weak spot.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nothing that he stated was incorrect. Bear is a very limited defenseman that opponents have frequently taken full advantage of.

Foegele would net considerably more in a trade today than Bear would. He also has a much larger impact on the game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I know that it's in poor taste to bring him up, but I still can't believe that some of our fans think that Bear and Barrie aren't at least equal defensively (personally, I think Barrie is better in the Dzone, especially under playoff pressure)

He’s definitely better. How many years did we spend complaining about having all defensive dmen who couldn’t get the puck out of our zone? Meanwhile Barrie can skate it out or pass it out

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Nothing that he stated was incorrect. Bear is a very limited defenseman that opponents have frequently taken full advantage of.

Foegele would net considerably more in a trade today than Bear would. He also has a much larger impact on the game.

Sorry. My post was meant to be insincere.

I was trying to make a point that further Bear / Foegele debate is pointless and useless.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
So trade the young cost-controlled second/third pairing RHD and keep the old, expensive second/third pairing RHD?

If the young cost-controlled RHD can get you or be part of a package to solve goaltending once and for all, then I would move him. If he was trending to be a solid top pair RHD, then I would reconsider. However, he is now 4 years post draft and he still has the same concerns in his game that he had back then. I would consider moving him while his value is still high. Depends on the return (it always depends on the return).

Reactions: joestevens29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad